Page 58 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5657585960 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How could Houston be unaware of his hip issues. RaveninWoodlawn noted that it was the key reason why he started 2010 on the PUP list. It's one of multiple injuries he's chronically dealt with since the neck injury.

I can understand how Ozzie and Co. could know. I can't understand how Houston couldn't.

If Oakland could flunk Gaither for a physical, Houston should be able to figure something like this out.
    Houston is desperate. I think they badly wanted a big name in Reed. Look at how they flew out the private jet to get him.

I love me some reed but it was a dumb move signing him. Reed has a lot of mileage on his body. It's bound to catch up with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Ed Reed to Houston

my guess is that Ed misses training camp but plays in 1 preseason game. At his age he won't be doing the 2 a days.

IMO the main reason Reed is in Houston is not the injury concerns but the declining play and abysmal tackling.
    Last edited by SeeBass; 05-06-2013 at 10:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    The problem is he will be broke within 5 years and have a broken down body. At least the NFL will give him a pension, not sure how much it is though.
    When did I comment on his "spending habits?" Now you're reaching. Bankruptcy after retirement is a major sports topic, ESPN even did a documentary on it. I seriously doubt I am the first person on this forum to make a "definitive" statement on the matter.
    I'm sorry, I didn't know it was possible for someone to...

he will be broke within 5 years
    without having bad spending habits. So how else will a man who has made $55+ million

he will be broke within 5 years
    if you aren't saying he has bad spending habits?

Nobody is reaching.

And sure it's a big topic, but it's ridiculous to automatically assume that a particular player will be broke unless there is behavior to point to that says a player will be broke. Bryant McKinnie will probably be broke. Vince Young will probably be broke. But it's not fair to basically throw a dart at a roster and say that someone will be broke...which is what you just did...just because some others are.
    Last edited by Raveninwoodlawn; 05-06-2013 at 10:35 PM.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Ed got what he wanted: picked up in a private jet, wined and dined, shopped the Texans offer and got them to overpay. He gets his $5m and he will hang it up after this season.

He'll sign a one day contract, retire a Raven and come back in the following season to have his number retired and to be inducted into the ring of honor.

Blog Entries

Houston let go of a good safety for an old oft injured one, for alot of $. Now, Houston doesnt expect Ed til at earliest mid way through TC. Ed is 35, coming off surgery. I doubt he makes it through the year. I bet the Ravens had thier suspicions about Ed's hip and let him go. It was the right time in a Safety stacked draft.

Nothing about Reed surprises me. Drama is part of his off season activities. Once the season starts he'll be ready to play to the best of his abilities. The Texans should be upset by this news considering it's Ed's first year with the team and they want him to get in as much work as possible with their defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rd1z View Post
    Ed got what he wanted: picked up in a private jet, wined and dined, shopped the Texans offer and got them to overpay. He gets his $5m and he will hang it up after this season.

He'll sign a one day contract, retire a Raven and come back in the following season to have his number retired and to be inducted into the ring of honor.
    It also wouldn't surprise me if he never plays a down for HOU. If in a month or two he just decides to hang it up.

All those years he threatened retirement yet came back to play...now when he says he wants to play watch him up and retire.

That would be such an Ed Reed thing to do.

Texans have to be feeling a little silly right about now. We sign their former players and turn them into playoff heroes and SB champs. They sign our former player(s) and get unexpected surgeries. Not too mention they let their own guy Quin walk off in FA.
    Last edited by bt12483; 05-07-2013 at 01:22 PM.

Re: Ed Reed to Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by Justlovemybirds View Post
    Coach Gary Kubiak acknowledged Monday that the Texans did not expect FS Ed Reed to need hip surgery when they signed him in March.
    Yeeesh...that must have been an interesting phone call:

#20: Hey Coach, what's up?

GK: Ed, listen, when you get to the facility next week, I want you to come straight to my office. I got a great plan in place for mentoring the youngsters during OTAs and training.

#20: Yeaaaahhh...about that coach.....ummmm...

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    Yeeesh...that must have been an interesting phone call:

#20: Hey Coach, what's up?

GK: Ed, listen, when you get to the facility next week, I want you to come straight to my office. I got a great plan in place for mentoring the youngsters during OTAs and training.

#20: Yeaaaahhh...about that coach.....ummmm...
    The Texans didn't actually expect him to show up for the start of training camp, did they? If so, they didn't do their homework.

I love Ed....I'll miss Ed. But if he's on your team, you have to deal with the whole package. The Ravens knew him well, and understood how to manage the situation so that his injuries and retirement threats were minimally disruptive. I'll be curious to see how Kubiak handles him.

Blog Entries

Reed didn't sign without a physical. The Texans knew about this before they even offered him a contract. If they really didn't then they should hire some better doctors next time.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Reed didn't sign without a physical. The Texans knew about this before they even offered him a contract.
    Then someone's not telling the whole truth:

Texans coach Gary Kubiak said Reed needing surgery came as a surprise.

"We didn't expect it but it started bothering him.."

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/92...ans-camp-owner

So, did their doctors just completely drop the ball when they did the physical? Or did they know about this, but didn't expect that surgery would be necessary? And if so, then who exactly made the decision on having the surgery? Because it sounds like the owner, Bob McNair, was caught a little off-guard with the news:

"I think this was a minor procedure, and he'll be ready once training camp starts, maybe the middle"

You "think" it was minor? You just signed the guy to a $15Mil contract. Why wouldn't you know? Welcome to Ed Reed's world, Houston.

Whether the Texans knew about this injury, him needing surgery, and/or missing OTAs and training camp, I don't know for certain.

I do know that many Texans fans cited Reed's ability to mentor the younger players and to show them how to prepare as an added benefit of his signing. Not so much.

I agree with MarkS: Love Reed as a player, but the dude definitely marches to his own beat...and I am not sure if it is one you would want younger players to model.