Page 55 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5354555657 ... LastLast

Re: Ed Reed to Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    Glad we didnt overpay, disappointed he couldn't end his career here
    How much would you have paid? How much is fair market for a soon to be 34 year old safety?

Quote Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
    How much would you have paid? How much is fair market for a soon to be 34 year old safety?
    Very difficult question really.
    His value is relative to the team he would be placed on, IMHO.
    I think for the Texans, he could be worth the money you all invested.
    He could be that guy to shore up the backend since your front 7 has been so stout.
    So Ed can do what he does best...so he could prosper there.
    He will help in alot of ways besides his actual play as well.

Here, he was worth alot because we lost alot behind the Dline and need his experience and leadership, but really are trying to shore up our front 7 so he didn't have to make (or miss) so many tackles.
    So what is that worth? Almost $4 mil a year for the next 2 years?

Blog Entries

Texans FS Ed Reed underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a small labral tear in his hip last week.

Reed will miss OTAs, but he's expected to be ready for training camp. The 34-year-old has missed just 16 games in his 11-year career. Second-round pick D.J. Swearinger will get valuable reps with the starters while Reed is out of commission.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Texans FS Ed Reed underwent arthroscopic surgery to repair a small labral tear in his hip last week.

Reed will miss OTAs, but he's expected to be ready for training camp. The 34-year-old has missed just 16 games in his 11-year career. Second-round pick D.J. Swearinger will get valuable reps with the starters while Reed is out of commission.
    On the one hand, I'd love to start laughing at Houston, maniacally.

On the other, I do hope Ed gets better and stays to form. I don't really WANT him to break apart, I just know it will happen soon.

Older players have little procedures like this done often (Rather, many older players have offseason surgeries, not Ed Reed is having surgery often). It factors into the debate, but minimally.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    It's his neck that's the bigger issue

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post

Just 16 games in 11 seasons right? And remember that's also considering that he started as a rookie, and never missed a season due to injury (and I don't think he's ever been put on IR either). That means that he's had a lot of dinks and bruises where he's missed a game or two at a piece, had to come out of games early, and been limited. I don't see that slowing down any time soon.

Blog Entries

This is why I'm glad we didn't resign Reed. At least the Texans got Swearinger as a backup plan.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Just 16 games in 11 seasons right? And remember that's also considering that he started as a rookie, and never missed a season due to injury (and I don't think he's ever been put on IR either). That means that he's had a lot of dinks and bruises where he's missed a game or two at a piece, had to come out of games early, and been limited. I don't see that slowing down any time soon.
    Wut. Ed Reed's number of games missed were not him missing games here or there because of dings and bruises. He played all 16 games 8 of 11 seasons. He missed 4 games in December of 2009 because of his hip issue. He was put on PUP for the first 6 weeks in 2010 because he had surgery. Basically he had 2 seasons were an injury caused him to miss a stretch of games. He's played all 16 games since. Him and Cary Williams were the only 2 defensive players who played all 16 games last season despite the fact that he acknowledged he had an injury. That doesn't help the injury prone point you were probably trying to make but he doesn't just periodically miss games.

I wish Ed a healthy season in Houston. I even wish him success on the field, at least in 15 of his games. I'm OK if he has a bad game against the Ravens.

I read a few of the local Houston news stories on this...while Houston "expects" him back for training camp, there were certainly a lot of "he should be ready" and "we are hopeful he will be ready" quotes in them. I guess with a player that old, you really are never too certain how quickly he re-habs.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    On the one hand, I'd love to start laughing at Houston, maniacally.
    I am laughing at how when they signed him it was, "His presence around the younger players in the off-season will be like having a great mentor to show them how to train and practice." Now the spins seems to be, "This will give the younger players a chance to practice with the first team."

Whatever gets you through the off-season, I guess...

I just hope Ed doesn't go out the way Willie Mays did -- embarrassing himself.

Blog Entries

Ed Reed played this very well with Houston. He knew that if he'd had the surgery earlier, he risked going unsigned. Apparently, Ozzie Newsome was aware of the need for this surgery, but it is unclear as to how aware of it Houston was.

One thing is clear, Ed Reed did not want to deal with all of the off-season programs anymore and really did not want to deal with training camp either, and it is clear that Houston was unaware of that for some reason.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore