Page 49 of 67 FirstFirst ... 4748495051 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ed Reed to Houston?

Russell St. Report ‏@RussellStReport 2m
    When asked on NFLN by @AndrewSiciliano what his gut was saying about Ed Reed, #Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said, "I think we've got him."

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Russell St. Report ‏@RussellStReport 2m
    When asked on NFLN by @AndrewSiciliano what his gut was saying about Ed Reed, #Ravens owner Steve Bisciotti said, "I think we've got him."
    Yeah. I just heard that.

Quote Originally Posted by RD52 View Post
    Ok? I still don't understand your point.

It's not like every team in the NFL has the same amount of money left.

The rookie this team brings in probably won't be 65% of what Reed is NOW.

People seem to think that being old means you no longer have value.

Ray Lewis was 37 last year. Some would say he has limitations just like Reed does now.

Are people saying they would let Ray Lewis stay on the bench during the playoffs and let Josh Bynes start?

There is value to Ed Reed. Much more than most safties in the NFL.
    The point is we have a budget and the FO has to figure out the allocation of resources that is most conducive to winning another Super Bowl.

If Ed's price tag is above a certain level, then he will not help us win another Super Bowl because the FO wouldn't be able to upgrade somewhere else. Some folks view Ed's value differently than others.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabcake View Post
    The point is we have a budget and the FO has to figure out the allocation of resources that is most conducive to winning another Super Bowl.

If Ed's price tag is above a certain level, then he will not help us win another Super Bowl because the FO wouldn't be able to upgrade somewhere else. Some folks view Ed's value differently than others.
    I understand now. I do value Reed high though.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Why would they leak the HOU terms?

I guess you could say if he doesn't want $4M maybe $4.25 would be enough to sway him.

But you also kind of set the market at an expectation of ~$4M, instead of the $6M+ Reed thinks he deserves.
    That's what I'm wondering too. Some of these deals still aren't public after the player signed. Who and why is Houston's offer public knowledge and on the espn scroll?

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

I just saw Steve Bisciotti's interview on NFLN today. When asked about his gut feel on Ed, Steve nodded slightly, turned his head to the side a bit and softly said "we got him".

I don't think he's guessing.

WORLD CHAMPIONS 2000 * 2012

7. Re: Ed Reed to Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by camdenyard View Post
    I just saw Steve Bisciotti's interview on NFLN today. When asked about his gut feel on Ed, Steve nodded slightly, turned his head to the side a bit and softly said "we got him".

I don't think he's guessing.
    Ed, Spears, Canty, and Dumervil/Freeney/Osi/Harrison and i'd say that's one heck of an offseason for us. Throw in a guy like Laurent Robinson and personally i'll feel like our team has improved if Ozzie just has an average draft.

Blog Entries

If its true, the Ravens would have kept all three of its HOFers in Baltimore for their entire careers, amazing.

Blog Entries

I think the Houston contract got leaked for only two reasons.

1. Baltimores offer is lower and not budging.
    2. Try to get a last minute team involved to raise the going rate.

I dont see why guys have such an issue with this 4m/year. he doesnt even get close to top 10 salary with that and despite all the apparent dislike for Ed not being Ed (possibly the GOAT) hes still every bit a top safety in this league. I think guys have a hard time understanding that going from all world to a top 5 at his position is a downward trend but still extremely productive. Depending on how its structured and guaranteed money, this could be nothing at all as far as cap hit by the time he retires, which i doubt hes getting a huge chunk guaranteed with his neck/age.

per spotrac (average salary)
    Eric Berry at Safety $10,000,000
    Troy Polamalu at Safety $9,125,000
    Dashon Goldson at Safety $8,250,000
    Eric Weddle at Safety $8,000,000
    Antrel Rolle at Safety $7,400,000
    Michael Griffin at Safety $7,000,000
    Jairus Byrd at Safety $6,916,000 franchise tag
    Antoine Bethea at Safety $6,750,000
    Tyvon Branch at Safety $6,650,000
    Roman Harper $6,250,000
    I honestly see 4 guys on that list that id take over Reed right now and one of those im pretty much even with. Even when saying that, im considering age as a factor. Reed isnt as bad as some are making him out to be even if he isnt as good as he once was. and 4m/year is a steal for what he offers.
    Last edited by JAB1985; 03-20-2013 at 07:19 AM.
    -JAB

Troy P's making $9 million this season? Ouch. Talk about overpaying a player on the severe downslope of his career.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenboy2003 View Post
    Troy P's making $9 million this season? Ouch. Talk about overpaying a player on the severe downslope of his career.
    those are average salaries... his cap hit is 10.137m this year (7.5m base).
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I think the Houston contract got leaked for only two reasons.

1. Baltimores offer is lower and not budging.
    2. Try to get a last minute team involved to raise the going rate.

I dont see why guys have such an issue with this 4m/year. he doesnt even get close to top 10 salary with that and despite all the apparent dislike for Ed not being Ed (possibly the GOAT) hes still every bit a top safety in this league. I think guys have a hard time understanding that going from all world to a top 5 at his position is a downward trend but still extremely productive. Depending on how its structured and guaranteed money, this could be nothing at all as far as cap hit by the time he retires, which i doubt hes getting a huge chunk guaranteed with his neck/age.

per spotrac (average salary)

I honestly see 4 guys on that list that id take over Reed right now and one of those im pretty much even with. Even when saying that, im considering age as a factor. Reed isnt as bad as some are making him out to be even if he isnt as good as he once was. and 4m/year is a steal for what he offers.
    I agree with you. If Ed plays somewhere else this season, people around here are going to see exactly what Ed was still bringing to the table last season. There are too many people here that think Ed is the only FS that doesn't tackle well. His coverage skills are still very very good and his instincts are still the best. He is worth 4 million a year. He's a bargain at that rate.