Page 41 of 67 FirstFirst ... 3940414243 ... LastLast

Re: Ed Reed to Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by ravenwoman View Post
    I agree. I just think with all of the recent signings, the cap space is dwindling. I believe the Ravens are being polite with this one, knowing how fragile Reed's personality is, but the end result will be that Ed Reed will finish his career elsewhere. Truthfully, if the Texans offered him $5M, he should have grabbed it immediately. Aging players have such a high opinion of themselves, thinking teams value their past performance.

I wish he would have retired with Ray Lewis and came back as a defensive backs coach. That is where his real value is, not on the field.
    Makes you wonder if Steelers and Ravens have opposite bets: the Steelers are restructuring because they believe the cap dramatically increases in the next couple of years and can just push the boat until then. The Ravens are shedding players because they're betting it won't. Just a thought that sprung to mind.

I think the longer this goes on, the more the chance Ed returns. Houston's had their chance and as said earlier on this thread by HoustonRaven (i think) - if a player leaves the facility after a show like that, they're not usually joining them (we saw this with Mathis last year; what a decision he made). As it's Ed, there's always the chance it breaks the usual trend. The bets are still he doesn't return, but they're not as long as they were a couple of days ago.

Blog Entries

My money is still on Ozzie not even offering him a deal. The man has waffled back and forth about retirement for years. He's made unnecessary statements about still wanting to be paid like the best safety in the league, even after Ozzie made him that twice in his career. He seems to take a condescending attitude toward John Harbaugh. He publicly criticized Joe Flacco in a win, where it wasn't even much of Joe's fault. Joe and Reed still don't seem to have a mutual likeness to one another. All you have to do is look back to the behind the sidelines footage of the AFC Championship Game. You had Reed's unnecessary "Nice run Joseph. Next time slide in bounds Joseph" comment. Then, you had Reed coming over and trying to pump up Flacco after they took the one touchdown lead and Flacco didn't even flinch, didn't react at all. All of those times Flacco's is pumping up his teammates or celebrating with them on the sidelines after big scores and he didn't even have a word to say back to Reed.

Ozzie is tired of dealing with him. John is tired of dealing with him. Joe is tired of dealing with him.

That's the triple threat right there.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

Evan Mathis is a great player, but he made a terrible decision, so screw him. We ended up getting a younger player with more upside at a much cheaper price.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Do you have a link to these reports?
    I heard it on sportscenter that the ravens had been in contact with him.

[Edit] Aaron Wilson has an article up over at the Sun saying that the ravens have been monitoring the situation have been in contact with Reed.
    Last edited by ballhawk; 03-16-2013 at 10:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by rd1z View Post
    The players agreed to a terrible deal. Player contracts are going up but the cap isn't. So veterans are left to fight for the cap space left. Gone are the days where a guy like Ed can name his price and get it.
    Wrong. If anything veterans get more money now because of the rookie scale implemented. That was one of the intents of newly adopted CBA. If veterans today are getting less than they anticipated it's because of their worth which we know is tied to production, age and talent.

Mike Garafolo from USA today mentioned this. Sorry was too lazy to copy/paste the link. It's on one of these threads somewhere

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Wrong. If anything veterans get more money now because of the rookie scale implemented. That was one of the intents of newly adopted CBA. If veterans today are getting less than they anticipated it's because of their worth which we know is tied to production, age and talent.
    I think that was the intent, but in reality, the big stars are taking up that big chunk of change and the solid middle man-type player is getting squeezed a little bit compared to what they might have gotten before the new CBA.

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Mike Garafolo from USA today mentioned this. Sorry was too lazy to copy/paste the link. It's on one of these threads somewhere
    Here you go:

Contrary to what appeared to be a willingness to let Reed leave, as cornerback Cary Williams and linebackers Dannell Ellerbe and Paul Kruger did, the Ravens have remained in contact with Reed, according to a person informed of those talks.

The person, who spoke to USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because the negotiations are ongoing, said general manager Ozzie Newsome has remained in contact with Reed's camp throughout his visit to Houston.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1...ilable-players

Blog Entries

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/228251...28022#51201249

Apparently, Reed had been talking to Andre Johnson, since a short time after the Super Bowl, about finding a way to get him to Houston.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/228251...28022#51201249

Apparently, Reed had been talking to Andre Johnson, since a short time after the Super Bowl, about finding a way to get him to Houston.

If this is true and he made that call right after the Super Bowl! I say don't let the door hit you in the ass Ed!

[QUOTE=The Excellector;604298]http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/228251...28022#51201249

Best report to date about the status of Ed Reed. He better hope that the Texans don't pull the offer off the table. Sometimes, he who hesitates is last.

Quote Originally Posted by Raven 555 View Post
    If this is true and he made that call right after the Super Bowl! I say don't let the door hit you in the ass Ed!
    meh. For one, Ed and Andre are good buds going back to the U. For another players recruit their friends all the time. It would be surprising if Andre didn't try to recruit Ed. Ravens players do this too.