Page 56 of 67 FirstFirst ... 5455565758 ... LastLast

Re: Ed Reed to Houston?

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    Ed Reed played this very well with Houston. He knew that if he'd had the surgery earlier, he risked going unsigned. Apparently, Ozzie Newsome was aware of the need for this surgery, but it is unclear as to how aware of it Houston was.
    I had no idea he had a hip injury. I thought it was a shoulder (labrum) and neck injury that had been dogging him for the past couple of years. Either way, it doesn't matter if Ozzie knew about it or not. Ed was a UFA and Ozzie is not obligated to announce injuries of potential ex-players. It is Houston's responsibility to make sure there are no injuries that would cause them concern, and it's Ed's responsibility to be open and honest about any injuries that he might have.
    "I don't know a man on this Earth who can outwork me". Ray Lewis

The hip is what caused him to be on PUP for the first 6 weeks of 2010. It's also degenerative I believe.

Unfortunately, Ed is going to live in a lot of pain for the rest of his life for giving his body to football.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    The hip is what caused him to be on PUP for the first 6 weeks of 2010. It's also degenerative I believe.

Unfortunately, Ed is going to live in a lot of pain for the rest of his life for giving his body to football.
    I would easily give that up for all the money he has now, plus a SB ring and a one way ticket to Canton.

Coach Gary Kubiak acknowledged Monday that the Texans did not expect FS Ed Reed to need hip surgery when they signed him in March.

On March 20, the Texans signed Reed to a three-year, $15 million deal with $6 million guaranteed. "We didn't expect it, but it started bothering him," said Kubiak. "That's when we got aggressive in what we needed to do." It's believed owner Bob McNair was the driving force behind the Texans' pursuit of Reed after the club lost Glover Quin and Connor Barwin in free agency. McNair conceded Monday that Reed may not be ready for training camp.

Thankfully, the Ravens didn't match the Texans offer.

You have to assume we know something may have been wrong with him during negotiations.

Blog Entries

I wish Ed Reed all the best. However, I think he is one and done in Houston. I really think he will retire after this upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I would easily give that up for all the money he has now, plus a SB ring and a one way ticket to Canton.
    The problem is he will be broke within 5 years and have a broken down body. At least the NFL will give him a pension, not sure how much it is though.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavensDomination View Post
    The problem is he will be broke within 5 years and have a broken down body. At least the NFL will give him a pension, not sure how much it is though.
    I doubt he'll be broke. In the article about Reed written by KVV, it was noted that Reed is pretty frugal and smart with his money.

He has very few endorsements, but family and friends say he has saved most of his money. He spent several years driving a Chevy Traverse and was playfully mocked for it by his teammates as they pulled away in their Bentleys and Hummers.

"He's the only person who doesn't know he's Ed Reed," said one of his friends.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    No disrespect, but I doubt you've had to suffer through any serious chronic pain or you'd probably not be so quick to make that bargain. I dealt a degenerative spinal condition for about 7 years before finally getting it repaired surgically last summer and I wouldn't go back to that pain for any amount of money or glory.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

By all accounts, he takes good care of his money. IIRC, NFL players receives $200 a month for each year they played with a three year minimum.

Meh, I am just playing the numbers. None of us know Ed's financial situation, however if you are a gambling man you can bet on "broke within 5 years" with an easy mind.

Meh, I am just playing the numbers. None of us know Ed's financial situation, however if you are a gambling man you can bet on "broke within 5 years" with an easy mind.

Quite a stretch, considering a well respected journalist did a story on this very subject and came away with a different impression.