Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

What do you think of Roger Saffold as a starting LT?

If the Rams sign Jake Long, Saffold will likely ask for a trade. He has one year left on his rookie contract, and so will only be making $880,000 in 2013, but wants to be paid like a starting LT in his next contract. He has been playing LT for the Rams, but I am not sure if he is just another Michael Oher who can play LT (albeit not that well), or is he a legit starting LT? Part of me is thinking that if Saffold was such a good LT, then why are the Rams considering signing Jake Long?

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ign-jake-long/

Blog Entries

Re: What do you think of Roger Saffold as a starting LT?

Yes please, he was really good last year and finally starting to get it going on the field.

Blog Entries

I was just going to post this. I wonder what the asking price will be.

Blog Entries

Couldn't we let him play out his rookie deal then look at giving him LT money depending on how he plays?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Couldn't we let him play out his rookie deal then look at giving him LT money depending on how he plays?
    Sure, but how much would it cost in draft picks to get him? If it is a 4th round pick, then fine, but if the Ravens have to give up a first or second round pick to get him, then that could be an expensive rental.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Sure, but how much would it cost in draft picks to get him? If it is a 4th round pick, then fine, but if the Ravens have to give up a first or second round pick to get him, then that could be an expensive rental.
    If you are going to make this trade, you gotta trade and sign him to an extension to avert the risk of wasting a pick.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    No way would I give a first or second up for him. MAYBE I'd consider 3rd rounder because of where we're picking, but that's the ABSOLUTE maximum IMO. If he was one or two years into his deal, I'd probably be a little more into it, but giving up a 2nd or first rounder to get one cheap year and then have the real potential of losing him the year after would be terrible value.

Blog Entries

If he was good last year, why are they trying to sign Jake Long?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    If he was good last year, why are they trying to sign Jake Long?
    I guess they hoped that Saffold would move over to RT, because they have absolute garbage at RT. The whole Oline needs upgrading.

Blog Entries

It's an interesting idea but he's cheap enough that they'll just keep him for depth.

Blog Entries

I was a thinking earlier. There are two teams out there that will have two left tackles after the draft and no RTs (Chiefs and Rams). Maybe this space clearing is working towards a run at one of them. But I was wondering, would they take Other as part of a deal to fill their vacated RT spots...

Trade them Jah Reid and the 5th or 6th round pick

Reid at the very least would give them cheap RT and G depth and combined with the pick seems fair compensation for a guy who likely walk after next season if they signed Long.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis