Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Blog Entries

Re: What do you think of Roger Saffold as a starting LT?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigfish View Post
    Agree, but he seems to have the size you'd want in a LT. Oher is short armed too and I'd hate to see that again. Maybe not the ideal scenario, but with coaching his footwork would improve.
    Maybe Filmstudy can explain, but I've seen a lot of stock put into wingspace being a big determinant in whether a guy can play LT or RT. Example, DJ Fluker has the longest wingspace of any of this year's tackles. BUT, he projects as a RT apparently. Meanwhile, Sam Baker just re-upped as LT for the Falcons. His armspan is only 32" and change, a full 4 inches less than "the desired" wingspan for LT.

So what's more important? The big wingspan, or footwork, or experience?
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I think it's a moot point. The Rams may be signing Jake Long, but they are fools if they are counting on him. If you've got an $800K contingency plan, you don't give that up. Especially when you have a very well-paid and fragile QB.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    I think it's a moot point. The Rams may be signing Jake Long, but they are fools if they are counting on him. If you've got an $800K contingency plan, you don't give that up. Especially when you have a very well-paid and fragile QB.

That's exactly what the Ravens would do. Fisher is a smart guy. I'm sure he will do the same.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I'm sure Ex is on suicide alert.
    Even he doesn't believe his own predictions.

Blog Entries

Rotoworld:

the st. Louis post-dispatch suspects the rams could get no more than a third- or fourth-round pick for rodger saffold.
    unhappy with both his contract situation and position in st. Louis, saffold is a sleeper to be traded on draft day should the rams select an offensive tackle with one of their first-rounders or even consider signing free agent andre smith. Saffold's durability is a concern, but he's only 24 years old with some solid left tackle tape. He'll man the right side if he stays in st. Louis.

Blog Entries

Saffold looked good as a rookie but regressed badly since. He's not someone you want starting if you can avoid it.

Blog Entries

I'm not that familiar with him but if they were willing to trade him, it'd probably take a 2nd or 3rd

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post

That's exactly what the Ravens would do. Fisher is a smart guy. I'm sure he will do the same.
    No he's not. Not even a little. He can't even get his franchise QB any real weapons. He's honestly no better than Marvin Lewis IMO.

Is Saffold even as good as Oher? Believe it or not, we can do worse than Michael Oher at tackle. Yet some people act like he's Oniel Cousins.

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenous1 View Post
    Trade them Jah Reid and the 5th or 6th round pick

Reid at the very least would give them cheap RT and G depth and combined with the pick seems fair compensation for a guy who likely walk after next season if they signed Long.

Do you think that Fisher has been up late all offseason trying to find a way to try to get Reid.

Oops and a 6th. If we were trading for Reid how much would Oz give up.

Quote Originally Posted by Unibomber View Post
    Is Saffold even as good as Oher? Believe it or not, we can do worse than Michael Oher at tackle. Yet some people act like he's Oniel Cousins.
    Both his rookie year and last year he was noticeably better at LT then Oher. In between, he regressed and had some njury issues. He certainly would be an upgrade if healthy and motivated. Neither of those appear to be a concern.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Saffold looked good as a rookie but regressed badly since. He's not someone you want starting if you can avoid it.
    Actually, he had a really good year in 2012. I think he's a lot better than Oher at LT.

With that said, he's not good enough to trade a 3rd/4th rounder and take the cap hit on a big deal for him. He isn't an elite OT, just a pretty good one.