Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Re: Boldin is Still Counting Against the Ravens Cap for $7.5 Million

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Greg the point was that no player was taking himself off the market for a week to find out if Boldin passed on not. It obviously didn't happen. For all we know the Ravens didn't try to make it happen because they knew there was no point in trying. pslholder96 is right. They decided the pick was worth more than the cap space.
    So you think the Ravens would renig on the deal and keep Boldin?

I see what you are saying, but IMHO, if we offered a player more than any other team after said player shopped his services around for days, waiting a week is not a big deal IMHO. There is zero chance Boldin failing his physical would change that. The Ravens would simply release him immediately. The drawback IMHO would only be the Ravens doing something unprecedented and just pulling the offer because they want to...not because Boldin failed his physical.

I guess my point is whether he passes or fails his physical does not matter at all. If he passes he's gone. If he fails, he's gone. Either way he's gone...so they wouldn't be waiting just to find out if he passed.

Half these players are signing their deals 1-2-3 days after reaching an agreement anyway so it's not like once they come to an agreement, they are immediately signing.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    So you think the Ravens would renig on the deal and keep Boldin?

I see what you are saying, but IMHO, if we offered a player more than any other team after said player shopped his services around for days, waiting a week is not a big deal IMHO. There is zero chance Boldin failing his physical would change that. The Ravens would simply release him immediately. The drawback IMHO would only be the Ravens doing something unprecedented and just pulling the offer because they want to...not because Boldin failed his physical.

I guess my point is whether he passes or fails his physical does not matter at all. If he passes he's gone. If he fails, he's gone. Either way he's gone...so they wouldn't be waiting just to find out if he passed.

Half these players are signing their deals 1-2-3 days after reaching an agreement anyway so it's not like once they come to an agreement, they are immediately signing.
    I don't think the Ravens would renig on a deal. I do think that no agent is going to accept a deal that keeps his player off the market for an extended period of time. It's that simple

Blog Entries

Renege.

I don't think an agent would think the Ravens would renig either...so I don't see the harm. Especially when some players are already waiting 2-3 days to sign. I know our wait would be longer, but if some are already ready to wait days, what's another couple days.

Agreements are always made in good faith. I would think our FO has built up enough trust with agents that they wouldn't just arbitrarily pull an offer just because they changed their mind.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Renege.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It's been a week. Anyone heard when the Boldin trade is due to be finalized?
    Personally, I think the PFT story about the trade not being finalized is bunk (although, I can't really prove it).

First, the trade showed up on the NFL's official transaction report on 3/12.

Both teams have announced the deal.

Boldin is also no longer showing up for the Ravens, but is showing up for the 49ers on the "public access" part of the NFLPA site (although, I'd need to see the "private access" portion to verify the accuracy of that). Lastly, Boldin shows up on the 49ers roster on the 49ers site and NFL.com.

So, I don't think it really matters whether he's taken his physical yet. If he hasn't and fails, then I believe the 49ers have the right to rescind the trade, but this isn't like a FA signing, IMO, where the physical has to take place before it's official.

So, I honest think he's been off of the Ravens books since 3/12.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    Personally, I think the PFT story about the trade not being finalized is bunk (although, I can't really prove it).

Boldin is also no longer showing up for the Ravens, but is showing up for the 49ers on the "public access" part of the NFLPA site (although, I'd need to see the "private access" portion to verify the accuracy of that). Lastly, Boldin shows up on the 49ers roster on the 49ers site and NFL.com.

So, I don't think it really matters whether he's taken his physical yet. If he hasn't and fails, then I believe the 49ers have the right to rescind the trade, but this isn't like a FA signing, IMO, where the physical has to take place before it's official.

This goes back to my question about the penalties for going/being over the cap (passively, as I realize you cannot get a contract approved by the league that puts you over).

If we sign players assuming Boldin's cap hit is gone for us to the point where we have say, $2M in cap space, then he fails a physical and the 49ers rescind, what happens? We get a certain time period to comply with the cap? 24 hrs? The league arbitrarily declares Boldin as a FA?

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    This goes back to my question about the penalties for going/being over the cap (passively, as I realize you cannot get a contract approved by the league that puts you over).

If we sign players assuming Boldin's cap hit is gone for us to the point where we have say, $2M in cap space, then he fails a physical and the 49ers rescind, what happens? We get a certain time period to comply with the cap? 24 hrs? The league arbitrarily declares Boldin as a FA?
    Yes, there is a 24- or 48 hour period during which the team has the time to get Cap compliant.

It's sort of akin to when a player - Brett Favre - comes out of retirement. Once the player files to be reinstated, he needs to fit under the team's Cap, assuming they retained his rights. So, the team has to make a decision to either release him or fit him under their Cap and make whatever moves are necessary.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Yes, there is a 24- or 48 hour period during which the team has the time to get Cap compliant.

It's sort of akin to when a player - Brett Favre - comes out of retirement. Once the player files to be reinstated, he needs to fit under the team's Cap, assuming they retained his rights. So, the team has to make a decision to either release him or fit him under their Cap and make whatever moves are necessary.
    Thanks. Good to know. Not like I am doubting Boldin passing his physical, just curious about the rules. :D

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    Thanks. Good to know. Not like I am doubting Boldin passing his physical, just curious about the rules. :D
    so boldin can fail on "purpose" then get released by ravens and then sign with the 49ers and we lose the 6th round pick and we dont get comp pick in 2014 b/c he was released?

Blog Entries

It wouldn't be the first time for PFT.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    so boldin can fail on "purpose" then get released by ravens and then sign with the 49ers and we lose the 6th round pick and we dont get comp pick in 2014 b/c he was released?
    Maybe, but as far as that goes, any traded player could do that to nix any trade.

But there isn't much reason for him to do that. His 2013 salary is actually pretty high. I also am not sure how easy it would be to fail on purpose. It is really the 49ers who are the ones deciding whether he passes or fails. And I assume it includes a lot of imaging, etc, more than simply seeing if he is "in shape."

But you bring up an interesting point.