Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Boldin is Still Counting Against the Ravens Cap for $7.5 Million

I don't know if this is why the Ravens were quiet in free agency yesterday. The problem is that until Boldin returns from Africa and passes a physical with the 49ers he counts against our cap. That 6th round pick is costing the Ravens $6 million in cap space which from the numbers I saw was about half of what they had. I would rather given up the 6th round pick and released him so we had our full space for the start of free agency

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...sses-physical/

Re: Boldin is Still Counting Against the Ravens Cap for $7.5 Million

I don't think it made any difference...Ozzie wouldn't spend all his cap space in one day anyway.

And there is nothing to prevent an agreement in principle with a player...they'd just have to wait a couple days to actually sign the contract.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think it made any difference...Ozzie wouldn't spend all his cap space in one day anyway.

And there is nothing to prevent an agreement in principle with a player...they'd just have to wait a couple days to actually sign the contract.
    What player is going to take himself off the market based on the results of Boldin's physical? If Boldin doesn't pass it then the deal in principal is off and that guy might have cost himself money from another team. No one would agree to that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What player is going to take himself off the market based on the results of Boldin's physical? If Boldin doesn't pass it then the deal in principal is off and that guy might have cost himself money from another team. No one would agree to that.
    disagree. It happens all the time. its not like were in such bad shape that theres not still room. arent we around 10m under even counting the full 7.5?
    -JAB

I read that too, but I don't think it's really hampering anything. If it REALLY came down to being a huge signing and it needed to be RIGHT THAT SECOND... if it was THAT important, they'd probably just cancel the trade and cut him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    I read that too, but I don't think it's really hampering anything. If it REALLY came down to being a huge signing and it needed to be RIGHT THAT SECOND... if it was THAT important, they'd probably just cancel the trade and cut him
    +1 They weren't in a rush to clear him off the books. Ozzie obviously knows how the process works, and I'm sure he knew Boldin was not in the country.

Blog Entries

If that was the reason the Dolphins have Ellerbe, I call it a blessing in disguise. If we paid him 35/5, would've been a ridiculous reach. Maybe he stays for 30/5, but that's even still a reach to a lot of people on here.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

Could be.

However, I don't think the Ravens were interested in paying 8-9 mill for Kruger and 6-7 mill for Ellerbe.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Could be.

However, I don't think the Ravens were interested in paying 8-9 mill for Kruger and 6-7 mill for Ellerbe.
    I read that the Ravens didn't even make an offer to Kruger.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I read that the Ravens didn't even make an offer to Kruger.
    Obviously we know why.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the FO knew Boldin was out of the country, and that they wouldn't be able to complete the trade until his finished his trip, and weren't counting on that money being there straight away... or they would have just cut him.

I don't know why, I just have this idea that the team would likely know when one of their better players is out in Senegal doing work with Oxfam.

I don't think that this makes any difference to our situation, and I would have thought that it would be obvious that we wouldn't get our cap space until the deal was finalized. $12 million was probably more than we would have spent otherwise before the draft started, and we certainly weren't going to spend it in the few days before the physical is complete.

Knowing Ozzie, we'll use that money for our draft picks and post draft free agents, and we'll probably put a good chunk aside for the roll over.