Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Jeremy Maclin as #2/3?

Just read where the Eagles are actively shopping him. Would anyone be willing to trade a 5th rounder for him? He's been injury prone and a mediocre WR so far in his career but still has a lot of upside if he puts it all together.

Re: Jeremy Maclin as #2/3?

No

I thought I had read that the Eagles were NOT actively shopping him, but for a 5th round pick it's a no-brainer. Are you kidding me? When healthy, Maclin is a VERY good receiver. He's not elite and he's certainly not measured up to the potential he held as a pro prospect, but he would be a great value for a 5th, and a better fit for our offense than he was in Andy Reid's WCO or Chip Kelly's spread/option.

The main drawback would be the fact that he's in a contract year. He would have a $3.2m cap figure if traded to the Ravens, and I don't think they'd pay that money and a pick for a one-year rental. It would take a leap of faith to extend him although they'd be buying a bit low on him coming off of a fairly modest year.

All in all, I think this is one of the few gambles I would actually make.

Pass. I'm not trading for anyone in the last year of their rookie contract.

I doubt the Ravens are in position to offer Maclin a long-term deal, and I'd be surprised if they'd be willing to next year. So to me it's a question of using a 5th round pick to rent his services at a pretty good cap figure next year.

I think Maclin could easily be great value vs. a 3.2M cap hit, but if that value is only for one year, I feel like it's probably not worth giving up a 5th.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I thought I had read that the Eagles were NOT actively shopping him, but for a 5th round pick it's a no-brainer. Are you kidding me? When healthy, Maclin is a VERY good receiver. He's not elite and he's certainly not measured up to the potential he held as a pro prospect, but he would be a great value for a 5th, and a better fit for our offense than he was in Andy Reid's WCO or Chip Kelly's spread/option.

The main drawback would be the fact that he's in a contract year. He would have a $3.2m cap figure if traded to the Ravens, and I don't think they'd pay that money and a pick for a one-year rental. It would take a leap of faith to extend him although they'd be buying a bit low on him coming off of a fairly modest year.

All in all, I think this is one of the few gambles I would actually make.
    Maclin for Dickson would make sense for both teams, then we draft a TE, which they will likely do anyhow. We pay more $, they get a lesser player at a need spot.

Blog Entries

I like Maclin, but he seems to be hurt a lot.

Hell no. We have 12 selections this year. Move around and nab players that will fit into what we are trying to do. There should be good value at receiver in the mid-rounds.

I'd rather they let David Reed, Deonte Thompson and whomever they may draft fight it out for that sort of role player spot. The guys I mention can play special teams and contribute in other ways, and still have a chance of matching Maclin, or better. Maclin was a better fit for Reid's west coast offense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    I like Maclin, but he seems to be hurt a lot.
    He doesn't miss too many games though because of it. In 4 years he's missed just 5 games.

Too soft. No thanx. Ill take Ryan Swope in 2nd or 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He doesn't miss too many games though because of it. In 4 years he's missed just 5 games.
    Heh... Just beat me to it.

The "Maclin for a 5th" scenario is a no-brainer IMO but I also thought that PHI was NOT shopping him.

Actually... thinking it through... with our 2014 cap. I wouldn't bother. Someone out there in a better cap situation would nab themselves very good value for a 5th though.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver