Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Blog Entries

Boldin is Still Counting Against the Ravens Cap for $7.5 Million

I don't know if this is why the Ravens were quiet in free agency yesterday. The problem is that until Boldin returns from Africa and passes a physical with the 49ers he counts against our cap. That 6th round pick is costing the Ravens $6 million in cap space which from the numbers I saw was about half of what they had. I would rather given up the 6th round pick and released him so we had our full space for the start of free agency

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...sses-physical/

Re: Boldin is Still Counting Against the Ravens Cap for $7.5 Million

I don't think it made any difference...Ozzie wouldn't spend all his cap space in one day anyway.

And there is nothing to prevent an agreement in principle with a player...they'd just have to wait a couple days to actually sign the contract.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't think it made any difference...Ozzie wouldn't spend all his cap space in one day anyway.

And there is nothing to prevent an agreement in principle with a player...they'd just have to wait a couple days to actually sign the contract.
    What player is going to take himself off the market based on the results of Boldin's physical? If Boldin doesn't pass it then the deal in principal is off and that guy might have cost himself money from another team. No one would agree to that.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What player is going to take himself off the market based on the results of Boldin's physical? If Boldin doesn't pass it then the deal in principal is off and that guy might have cost himself money from another team. No one would agree to that.
    disagree. It happens all the time. its not like were in such bad shape that theres not still room. arent we around 10m under even counting the full 7.5?
    -JAB

I read that too, but I don't think it's really hampering anything. If it REALLY came down to being a huge signing and it needed to be RIGHT THAT SECOND... if it was THAT important, they'd probably just cancel the trade and cut him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kronusthebonus View Post
    I read that too, but I don't think it's really hampering anything. If it REALLY came down to being a huge signing and it needed to be RIGHT THAT SECOND... if it was THAT important, they'd probably just cancel the trade and cut him
    +1 They weren't in a rush to clear him off the books. Ozzie obviously knows how the process works, and I'm sure he knew Boldin was not in the country.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    disagree. It happens all the time. its not like were in such bad shape that theres not still room. arent we around 10m under even counting the full 7.5?
    Last number I heard was $13 counting the $6 million for Boldin. That leaves $7 before Canty and the other guys they re-signed yesterday.

If Boldin fails the physical I'm sure he will be cut.

There is no way at this point that Boldin will be forced to stay on the roster.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Generally day one signings are the highest offers. Unsigned veterans who remain free agents for a while are happy to accept less the longer they sit out there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If Boldin fails the physical I'm sure he will be cut.

There is no way at this point that Boldin will be forced to stay on the roster.
    I'm sure Boldin would be cut too but if I'm a free agent I'm not agreeing to a handshake deal that takes me out of the market waiting to see what happens. I'd do a check with me deal with Ozzie while I'm talking to other teams trying to get my price.

Blog Entries

I don't see what is the big deal about that draft pick. It is the 49ers 6th round pick, which is the next to last regular pick in the 6th round. Really, what is the difference between that pick and an UFA anyway. Now, if the Ravens are not going to need that cap room right away, then fine. However, if it costs them a chance get a player they want through FA or a trade, then it is a stupid move.

I'm sure Boldin would be cut too but if I'm a free agent I'm not agreeing to a handshake deal that takes me out of the market waiting to see what happens. I'd do a check with me deal with Ozzie while I'm talking to other teams trying to get my price.
    The free agent would have to wait what...30 minutes for the cut to go through?

If Ozzie really wanted a guy and it was a problem to wait, Ozzie could fax the paperwork to cut Boldin into the league any time he'd want.