Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Re: What do you Expect the Ravens to do Today?

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    What do you Expect the Ravens to do Today?
    Nothing.

We will wait for the secondary market.

I have a funny feeling that Ellerbe will be playing elsewhere.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I think we cut Leach and McClain today, re-sign Morgan Cox (like we did with Reed), non-tender Harewood and tender all of our ERFAs.

Unfortunately, I think Ellerbe signs elsewhere for more than we are willing to pay him. Personally, while I like him a lot, I'm not interested in paying him $6M/year.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Nothing.

Unfortunately, I tend to agree with you. If he wanted to re-sign here he could have done it already. There's always a chance that he hits the market and finds no one's offering more than Baltimore, but I kinda doubt it.

I just don't get a really good vibe from Ellerbe, frankly. He seems to be going to great lengths on his Twitter to emphasize that he wants to get paid and is angry at the very concept of taking a "hometown discount." That's his prerogative, but it would be better PR for him to stay quiet and say the right things. He seems to have quite a flair for self-importance.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    You think all that happens today? Outside of Long and maybe Toler I don't see any of those guys as day 1 signings by any team.
    How about 'In talks with and likely to sign later'?
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post
    I think we cut Leach and McClain today, re-sign Morgan Cox (like we did with Reed), non-tender Harewood and tender all of our ERFAs.

Unfortunately, I think Ellerbe signs elsewhere for more than we are willing to pay him. Personally, while I like him a lot, I'm not interested in paying him $6M/year.
    Agreed and it's the problem with winning the Super Bowl -- FA talent is overvalued, asking for and most of the times receiving, more money than they are worth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    How about 'In talks with and likely to sign later'?
    Always possible but these are the Ravens. If they're in talks with anyone we'll never know because they don't leak anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Nothing.

I think so too.

I hope I am wrong, but I think both Ellerbe and Kruger will get big time deals from other teams and the Ravens simply do not overpay for players.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Leach is getting cut. Bill Pollian thinks we might go after Greg Jennings. I don't care if Ellerbe stays or goes. He is a marginal player, imo and not worth what somebody else is going to pay him

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by B-more Ravor View Post

I forgot about Morgan Cox. That's a deal I would really like to see today.

Just to be contrarian, I'll say we sign Ellerbe. If we do, Leach gets a new cheaper contract but we keep him.

Oh-and Kruger signs with the Clowns. Yeah, I'm going way out on a limb here. ;)

Blog Entries

Dannell Ellerbe is an UDFA who went undrafted, largely due to concerns about his work ethic. He is a player who has shown that he can be dominant in his responsibility when healthy, but that health has been an issue for him. He seems to have overcome the issues about his work ethic, but all in all this says "Take the most you can get and run"
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

There's been a lot of buzz around Ellerbe being the best player on defense and I'm sure both him and his agent listened to it. No way he's come this far to sign with the Ravens without first shopping around. I think he signs for more than we want to pay, plays an injury plagued season and is considered a bust. That's not a stretch since he's never played a full season. We find gold with a FA signing that has people scratching their head.

I agree with Leach not fitting into the future and he gets released. Insert a H-back type player for short yardage situations.

I'm not sure about Jones. He's really not a starting receiver and at 29 he is what he is. Is he worth 4m as a kick returner and situational receiver? Ozzie may want that money to play with. I can also see him playing out the last year of his contract.

I love Reed but another player worth more as a FA than Ozzie will pay.