Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Re: Reed hires an agent - Rumored to 49ers

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I think the zone-read part is a gimmick. Kaepernick has an incredible arm. That is what's going to make their offense lethal.
    That and the fact he can sprint 20 yards when the pocket breaks down and the defense is playing man and watching receivers.

Nothing more demoralizing for a defense than consistently getting 3rd and mediums or longs, covering well, even getting a pass rusher in there, but having the QB elude the rusher and scramble for a first.

Blog Entries

Kenny Vaccoro that is all.

And no Dallas you can't have him!

Niners are shaping up to be the Redskins

Yes, they have a lot of picks but between the picks and vet talent, something has to give.

And there's no way of saying (yet) which of those picks will work out.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Haloti92 View Post
    That and the fact he can sprint 20 yards when the pocket breaks down and the defense is playing man and watching receivers.

Nothing more demoralizing for a defense than consistently getting 3rd and mediums or longs, covering well, even getting a pass rusher in there, but having the QB elude the rusher and scramble for a first.
    Yeah I agree. That's why I say the read option is kind of gimmicky. Teams can't just play the read option against Kaepernick. They have to respect his arm which opens up room for him to run if he doesn't like what he sees.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Niners are shaping up to be the Redskins

Yes, they have a lot of picks but between the picks and vet talent, something has to give.

And there's no way of saying (yet) which of those picks will work out.
    Their first rounder last year (AJ Jenkins) hardly saw the field all year, and now they've brought in Boldin who plays the same position. LaMichael James was their 2nd, and he didn't play much either, but at least had the decency to fumble the ball to us in the SB.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Their first rounder last year (AJ Jenkins) hardly saw the field all year, and now they've brought in Boldin who plays the same position. LaMichael James was their 2nd, and he didn't play much either, but at least had the decency to fumble the ball to us in the SB.
    Good points.

I mean, there's a finite number of positions. You draft a shit ton of guys AND bring in vet rentals and its a recipe for future mediocrity.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I think the zone-read part is a gimmick. Kaepernick has an incredible arm. That is what's going to make their offense lethal.
    The ZR has its uses as far as freezing defenders, but is only useful in the NFL as an occasional look (not as a regular offensive system), if and only if the QB rarely actually "keeps" it. I've made this point before so stop me if you've heard it, but... I've watched a lot of this offense the last 4-5 years, particularly Oregon's version going back to Dennis Dixon. Over time they've gotten to where the QB only keeps and runs 2-3 times a game. The other 30 times they give it to the RB. But in college, where you can stockpile speed and pummel mismatches, the defenses still have to worry about the keep, so as a result, holes open up, defenders get isolated and blocked, and then the quick backs exploit them.

In the NFL, teams will do more what the Ravens did: use an edge rusher to spy the QB, collapse the middle and assume it's a handoff. Suggs and Upshaw spent a lot of time in the SB ignoring the handoff and zooming in on Kap; the rest of the D collapsed the middle on Gore. It all worked well till Ngata got hurt.

Anyway, I agree, in time it's Kaps' insane arm that's going to define him along with his ability to keep drives alive with his feet, and buy time on slower developing plays. He's got all the physical attributes you want in a QB in today's game, no doubt about that.

Whether he'll have the accuracy and consistency over his career, it's way too early to say.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    Who was the last SB loser to go to a SB the next year? Niners are a year too late.
    I believe it has only happened two times where the Super Bowl loser won the next Super Bowl:

Dallas Cowboys lost Super Bowl V, won Super Bowl VI
    Miami Dolphins lost Super Bowl VI, won Super Bowl VII

There have been five instances (but only three runs) where the Super Bowl loser has returned to lose the next Super Bowl:

Minnesota Vikings lost Super Bowls VIII & IX
    Denver Broncos lost Super Bowls XXI & XXII
    Buffalo Bills lost Super Bowls XXV, XXVI, XXVII, XXVIII

So the last year was the 1993 season, which also happens to be the last year prior to the institution of the salary cap in the NFL in 1994.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I hate to say it, but if there was ever a year for the Ravens to part with Reed, this is it. Vacarro, Elam, Reid, Swearingen, Cyprian, Jefferson, and Rambo make this the year to be needy in the safety department. I think all of those guys can come in from day one and start. I'd like to see Ighedibo back for depth purposes at around 2 years/$3.5 million.

I think Ed Reed neck and neck with Krause as the 3rd best safety of all time behind Lott and Tunnell. He's a true legend. He also was probably the worst tackling safety I've ever seen last year. I'd hate to see us pass up anyone on that list above just to let Ed ride off into the sunset with dignity.

The only way I'd want Ed back is on a 1 year/$3 million type contract and if we drafted a 2nd/3rd round safety to be groomed for his role. I doubt he'd take that type of contract though, assuming one was even offered.
    I can see folks who think Ronnie Lott was a better Safety (I don't agree), but not Tunnell. The INT totals of that era were hyper-inflated and Reed played when interceptions were at the all-time low.

In 1952, when Night Train Lane had 14 INTs in 12 games, there were 2.1 INTs per team, per game. When Reed had 9 in 2008, INTs dropped below 1 per game for the first time in league history (.9 per team, per game). Reed's 2008 total was more impressive than Lane's historic season on an adjusted basis (adjusted for games and league INTs per game). Tunnell, playing in the same era, never had more than 10 picks in a season.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Ravens had weeks to make him and offer. Maybe they aren't interested.
    I think that you are on to the issue here GOTA. There was talk during the season that the team might have to make the choices for Lewis and Reed. Lewis made the choice for himself, but the Super Bowl Championship doesn't change the reality that they felt that way about Reed.

I know that they would like Reed to retire a Raven. However, right about now, I could see Ozzie not even being in the mood to deal with Reed. Let him test the market and bring a number back. Chances are that Ozzie won't match it.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

I hope players are not deciding to jump ship after this Boldin debacle, I've heard that Q was well liked by most of the team and alot of them are not taking this well. Also Bryant McKinnie is saying that its gonna take alot of money for him to come back. Could this have an impact on getting a Ellerbe back? or other potential targets coming here.

In Ozzie we trust, I know, but as of right now Ozzie is not making me very excited about the 2013 Ravens

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TheRaven52 View Post
    I hope players are not deciding to jump ship after this Boldin debacle, I've heard that Q was well liked by most of the team and alot of them are not taking this well. Also Bryant McKinnie is saying that its gonna take alot of money for him to come back.

The Big Whopper is back in the dog house if he said that.