Page 78 of 114 FirstFirst ... 7677787980 ... LastLast

Re: Free Agent & Other Player Moves from Around the NFL

Quote Originally Posted by ctulb View Post
    Other side of the coin... Jets better hit on those picks
    Exactly.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    No guaranteed money.

And the other picks are conditional.

IMHO...it's not a bad deal for the Bucs.
    It will be guaranteed if he plays the 1st game of the season. The Bucs aren't going to throw away their 1st round pick by cutting Revis. That 1st years $16 million is as good as guaranteed. Next season Revis will just hold out until he gets another deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    It will be guaranteed if he plays the 1st game of the season. The Bucs aren't going to throw away their 1st round pick by cutting Revis. That 1st years $16 million is as good as guaranteed. Next season Revis will just hold out until he gets another deal.
    No offense...but duh.

And i seriously doubt Revis is holding out next year...he got his number this year.

Now, in 2-3 years...maybe.

But the Bucs did a really good job of protecting themselves as much as they could IMHO. I actually like this from the Bucs side. No Signing Bonus, no cap hit if/whenever Revis ability declines...and I'd rather have Revis than the 13th pick in this draft and still have my 2nd and 3rd and other mid round picks this year.

All I know is the Jets better nail those picks they got.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

You're right it won't be next year as long as the Bucs are willing to pay him. As soon as they question him though it's going to get ugly.

Whether the Jets had that extra pick or not they still had to nail their picks. This is a team is complete transition with no cap space. They have no choice but to build through the draft.

You're right it won't be next year as long as the Bucs are willing to pay him. As soon as they question him though it's going to get ugly.

Whether the Jets had that extra pick or not they still had to nail their picks. This is a team is complete transition with no cap space. They have no choice but to build through the draft.
    If they are questioning him, then they obviously would be ready to cut him. And they can do it with absolutely zero dead money/cap hit.

And Tampa still has $17 million in cap room after signing him.

I'm not bashing the Jets either...I think considering his injury (which I think people are making way too much out of) his contract demands and his market (only one team), they did well to get what they got.

It's a plus move for both sides IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    If they are questioning him, then they obviously would be ready to cut him. And they can do it with absolutely zero dead money/cap hit.

And Tampa still has $17 million in cap room after signing him.

I'm not bashing the Jets either...I think considering his injury (which I think people are making way too much out of) his contract demands and his market (only one team), they did well to get what they got.

It's a plus move for both sides IMHO.
    Fully agree. The Jets could have done a bit worse (in terms of draft pick comp). And the Bucs could have done a lot worse (in terms of contract/guarantees). It is a win-win, imo, as much as it can be judged right now (without knowing how well Revis will play).

Blog Entries

This move seems backwards to me. Greg Schiano goes through all of that trouble to try and clean the team of certain characters, only for the front office to give up a 1st for Revis.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Other than the 1st round pick, this is a safe play for Bucs. he will play at least one season with the Bucs. But when they are done with him or he cocks too much of an attitude, they can cut him with no salary cap ramifications. Plus, they stroked Revis' ego by making him the highest paid defensive back, even though he is probably only going to see two to three seasons max with the bucs.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rd1z View Post
    They are paying him $16 million a year. Guess TB really got tired of having a bunch of cap space.
    Well, they had a ridiculous amount of cap space...so, they were one of the only teams that could conceivably do this type of a deal.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mistergq View Post
    Other than the 1st round pick, this is a safe play for Bucs. he will play at least one season with the Bucs. But when they are done with him or he cocks too much of an attitude, they can cut him with no salary cap ramifications. Plus, they stroked Revis' ego by making him the highest paid defensive back, even though he is probably only going to see two to three seasons max with the bucs.
    Draft picks are like gold so it's a big risk. You can draft a good player and get them for wholesale price for 4 years or pay 16 mil for revis and have him leave after giving up your first plus other picks.

I'm not a fan of paying corners. We won with Corey graham and Cary Williams. It's all about qb and pass rushers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Draft picks are like gold so it's a big risk. You can draft a good player and get them for wholesale price for 4 years or pay 16 mil for revis and have him leave after giving up your first plus other picks.

I'm not a fan of paying corners. We won with Corey graham and Cary Williams. It's all about qb and pass rushers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's very true about draft picks. How many times have we seen the Redskins trade draft picks for star players only to have it blow up on them? It seems like the veteran 'known' player would be safer than the unknown rookie but that isn't always the case and the cap issues when you are wrong are painful.

Blog Entries

That's very true about draft picks. How many times have we seen the Redskins trade draft picks for star players only to have it blow up on them? It seems like the veteran 'known' player would be safer than the unknown rookie but that isn't always the case and the cap issues when you are wrong are painful.
    :word

A GM said that there are basically two markets in the NFL: wholesale (draft) and retail (free agency/trades). You get the best bang for your buck in the draft. It's why we see Ozzie covet draft picks and focus a ton of effort on scouting and then continually field a competitive team.

I think Revis is a top corner when he's healthy, but I just can't see taking up that much of the cap on a corner. http://www.overthecap.com/cap.php?Na...eam=Buccaneers