Page 66 of 114 FirstFirst ... 6465666768 ... LastLast

Re: Free Agent & Other Player Moves from Around the NFL

Dimitroff was on the NFL network this morning and said that he intends on doing Ryan's extension before the season starts...that may be part of the reason.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

I am of the opinion that the OL improvement with McKinnie in the mix is more a function of getting 5 solid starters instead of 4 than it is a gap in his ability at LT over Oher or the next guy. When Grubbs got hurt last year and we had no back up, the OL play fell off the same way it has with any key starter down.

So I am comfortable with Oher, McKinnie, Gaither or a draft pick at LT as long as the other 4 spots are filled with starter quality or better players. There is always going to be a mismatch with one of your OL guys you can deal with, but you can not really scheme your way around multiple mismatches.

I also like the idea of giving Andre Smith a shot at LT. Witworth is one of the top LTs out there so I do not see it as a negative that Smith never took the job from him, and his play at RT recently has been solid from what I saw. He has the size and length and was a top 10 pick because of his potential as a LT. Still want those workout incentices and such, but he seems like a pretty safe gamble because he should at least be a pretty dominant RT at a reasonable price and a good value if you can turn him into a solid LT.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I am of the opinion that the OL improvement with McKinnie in the mix is more a function of getting 5 solid starters instead of 4 than it is a gap in his ability at LT over Oher or the next guy. When Grubbs got hurt last year and we had no back up, the OL play fell off the same way it has with any key starter down.

So I am comfortable with Oher, McKinnie, Gaither or a draft pick at LT as long as the other 4 spots are filled with starter quality or better players. There is always going to be a mismatch with one of your OL guys you can deal with, but you can not really scheme your way around multiple mismatches.

I also like the idea of giving Andre Smith a shot at LT. Witworth is one of the top LTs out there so I do not see it as a negative that Smith never took the job from him, and his play at RT recently has been solid from what I saw. He has the size and length and was a top 10 pick because of his potential as a LT. Still want those workout incentices and such, but he seems like a pretty safe gamble because he should at least be a pretty dominant RT at a reasonable price and a good value if you can turn him into a solid LT.
    There is absolutely no chance Andre Smith will ever play left tackle in the NFL. He has now had 2 solid seasons at RT, but he is still primarirly a road grader who has fundamental issues in pass pro.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    I am thinking more and more that they'll go through the draft process, see if anyone becomes available from another team, and at some point re-sign McKinnie to a one year deal. Perhaps a 2 year that is really a 1 year. Otherwise we're probably looking at a rookie somewhere on that line.
    I could see a line of KO-Reid-Gino-Yanda-Oher with a rookie eventually taking over at RG. Or maybe Harewood gets the job over Reid. If they don't like the look of that in the OTAs then they'll give McKinnie a call.

Blog Entries

I don't think Reid will ever be more than a back up.

Blog Entries

There are G options to be had in this draft.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    There is absolutely no chance Andre Smith will ever play left tackle in the NFL. He has now had 2 solid seasons at RT, but he is still primarirly a road grader who has fundamental issues in pass pro.
    I am not saying there is a good chance, but he would not have been a #6 pick if there was absolutely no chance. Also I am not thinking he could turn into J.O. or something, I just think that he has a decent shot to replicate the level of play more recently of Gaither and McKinnie, or at least take over RT for Oher if we have to put him back at LT.
    Smith is a big young guy with IMO more upside than the late 1st round prospects.

:T2:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    hes improved at pass protection that youre not really giving him credit for. He may not be the best, but he doesnt have to be to be an upgrade over Oher.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by Terpsfan82 View Post
    I don't think Reid will ever be more than a back up.
    I don't think so, either. With him, it's a combination of an inability to get (and stay) healthy, and lacking a natural position. He hasn't looked great at RT, which would appear to be his natural position, and he's just been average at LG. I see him as being a versatile backup who can play 3 positions on the OL, and even if that's a bit of a disappointment for a 3rd rounder, he hasn't shown anything more than that thus far.

The Ravens simply don't have enough offensive linemen under contract for 2013. They definitely need to add someone who can play center, since they only have Gino and camp-body Reggie Stephens, and that will probably be a draft pick who can play guard or center. They also need a tackle, whether it's a LT or RT, depending on how they feel about Oher/Osemele.

At this point my preferred option is to go out and sign Eric Winston or Tyson Clabo to play RT, go ahead and kick Oher over to LT, and keep Osemele inside at LG. Even if Oher is just average at LT you've got a solid interior and very solid right side. Then add a mid-round developmental LT and a 6th or 7th round G/C prospect.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    hes improved at pass protection that youre not really giving him credit for. He may not be the best, but he doesnt have to be to be an upgrade over Oher.
    The games that I watched him in and from what I heard from a couple of life long Bengal fans that I'm friends with over here, he still gets beat like a drum by speed rushers and will always be a right tackle who is an excellent run blocker. If teams really viewed him as a legit option at LT he would have got big money by now, he hasn't even signed for a top level RT contract yet. His own team have heaps of cap space and don't exactly have anyone to replace Andre Smith at RT, yet they still have not re-signed him either.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    I am not saying there is a good chance, but he would not have been a #6 pick if there was absolutely no chance. Also I am not thinking he could turn into J.O. or something, I just think that he has a decent shot to replicate the level of play more recently of Gaither and McKinnie, or at least take over RT for Oher if we have to put him back at LT.
    Smith is a big young guy with IMO more upside than the late 1st round prospects.
    I still don't understand this thinking that top 10 picks at OT should ALL be left tackles in the NFL. At the end of the day, most top 10 picks turn out to be nothing more than average starters in the NFL, so if you get a solid RT out of it, it's better than nothing. Yeah sure, you'd like to get a JO type LT for years to come, but the reality is, the LT position is almost as hard to address as the QB position, there are only so many guys who can play this position at a good level in the NFL on planet Earth.

I'm sure the Bengals wanted a legit LT when they spent the 6th overall pick on him, but he just isn't that, and is a good right tackle who can be a big asset in a run first/traditional offense. A lot of teams use a high pick on a player intending him to be something that he often doesn't turn out to be. Like I said, if teams really viewed him as a legit option at LT, he would have signed for a big deal somewhere by now.

Maybe if mckinnie don't sign with us, maybe grab up a max Starks. He can play LT and draft one in the mid rounds for backup. Need a center too, so if no drafted center, we will be sure to get a vet after June 1. I also won't mind if KO can take the LT job. We can get a guard for sure in the draft if we move him. But I really hope for a pick for Armstead. Big fan of his and he hopefully will be a raven.

Armstead-KO-Gino-Yanda-Oher