Page 39 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3738394041 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Free Agent & Other Player Moves from Around the NFL

DJ Williams and Karlos Dansby are good options too, but they are on the wrong side of 30 (as is Daryl Smith).

Brad Jones is the guy I'd like, but I'd be happy with Dansby, Williams, and Smith too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    How much did Knighton sign for? That was a guy that I thought would be a good fit at NT for the Ravens.
    2yrs, $4.5M

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    I don't have a list, but off the top of my head...

Brad Jones
    Daryl Smith
    Karlos Dansby
    Brian Urlacher
    DJ Williams
    Rey Maualuga
    Dan Conner
    Larry Grant
    Bradie James

I'm sure there are more.
    Definitely an interesting market at ILB. Looks like flea-market shopping to me, which is good for the Ravens.

I see 5 older guys firmly in various stages of decline (Smith, Dansby, Urlacher, Williams, James); 3 backup/replacement level talents (Maualuga, Conner, Grant); and one younger guy coming off of one good year (Jones).

Jones could definitely get Ellerbe type money or just below, but the rest of those guys are going to depress each others' value. Daryl Smith is definitely the guy I would be going hard after. He'll be 31 soon and is just coming off of an injury-shortened year, but he's been very durable throughout his career otherwise and is quietly one of the top all-around LBs of the later 2000's. Even if he's beginning to trend downward he's much more talented than any of the other older guys and I'm confident he'll be a good value.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    2yrs, $4.5M
    Why didn't the Ravens go after him? I know Ozzie likes his Alabama guys, but Cody is awful, and Canty is not a NT.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    Why didn't the Ravens go after him? I know Ozzie likes his Alabama guys, but Cody is awful, and Canty is not a NT.
    I think Denver really wanted him, and he probably liked the idea of playing under his old HC. Maybe he turned down all other visit invites because he knew he wanted to play in Denver?

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    DJ Williams and Karlos Dansby are good options too, but they are on the wrong side of 30 (as is Daryl Smith).

Brad Jones is the guy I'd like, but I'd be happy with Dansby, Williams, and Smith too.
    I don't think we should expect this team to be signing many "good young" guys.

Those guys cost the most money usually. Does Jones fit? Maybe, maybe not. But I think they expect to get the young talent from the draft.

But I would expect any vets we sign to be close to or over 30...Ozzie has had a lot of success with those types for the short term.

LOL...I basically said all that to say I wouldn't be too concerned about age if the guy can still play. We won't be giving that player a long term expensive deal.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    This is what I love about you guys. First you say that, and then follow up with......

Soooooooo...........washed up bum.
    If that's what you class as someone labeling a player as a "washed up bum" then we are on a totally different planet. I know that Boldin is a good player, but he isn't worth $7M.

And yet the conventional wisdom here, around the league, etc: was that Boldin would be a cap casualty, and Flacco MUST be signed to a long term deal so that they could make keeping Ellerbe a priority.
    I stopped at the "around the league" bit, because you should know that national perception in the NFL (especially perception on TV like ESPN, NFLN etc) is usually wrong or inaccurate. Sure today the perception is that we lost a load of talent, which is probably true. However, there is a good chance that none of these players live up to the amount of money they got paid, that's why Ozzie didn't bring them back. "Right player, right price".

And you base that last sentence on what exactly?
    Please research our cap situation over the next couple of seasons, we have one shit load of money tied into only 6 players. You think we'd have the room to re-signing Torrey Smith if he starts producing at 1k + yards a season? We could be looking at 10M a season by 2015 to re-sign him. Paying Ellerbe $7M a year would have heavily restricted us from a cap standpoint, and frankly he just isn't good enough to get that much, and he has serious durability issues.

And who is coming in here Leach? So we know it's not a high-quality wide receiver because we're not paying money for one. It's not Jake Long because he signed elsewhere. When you have Josh Bynes and Jameel McClain as your potential starters, you may want to think about paying Ellerbe $7 million for a guy that got it together and was/is your best LB on the team. You think with the 2nd or 3rd round pick you're going to get another LB better than he was this year?
    Most likely players through the draft (with 12 picks) are coming here. Say we take Tavon Austin in the first round (the Ravens are obviously very interested in Austin), that is an upgrade over Boldin for this offense IMO. He would work out of the slot in Boldins role, only he'd ACTUALLY get separation which our receivers really struggle to get, especially against man press. And again, there is no chance I'd pay Ellerbe $7M a year, with 17M in guaranteed money, that's crazy money for an injury prone LB. You may laugh at Josh Bynes potentially starting, but wasn't he in the exact same posistion as what Ellerbe was in not too long ago? Nobody thought Ellerbe would have reached this point. Our LB coaches obviously know how to get the best out of the players, I'm not sure there is a better coaching staff in the NFL at developing lowly drafted/undrafted LBs as the Ravens. Josh Bynes could easily break out in a similar way to how Ellerbe broke out. The Ravens will obviously add players to the roster, relax.

Who is still out there Leach that can come in and make that impact. On second thought, since you don't have Pollard, Lewis, Reed, Kruger, or Ellerbe your drop off in production is so large that any middleing journeyman FA will be an improvement over what is left I suppose.
    There are still a lot of players out there who could help us out. Brad Jones (ILB) from Green Bay was just as good as what Ellerbe was last year and is still out there, then you have some pretty good players like DJ Williams, Daryl Smith, and Karlos Dansby out there. And if you wanna talk about journeymen, Pollard was the true definition of a journeyman having been to two NFL teams before signing here, and now he'll be going on to his fourth team in his short career so far.

iggyman555 Guest

Adam Schefter ‏@AdamSchefter

Steelers RFA WR Emmanuel Sanders visiting Patriots today. Pats could sign him to offer sheet that cap-strapped Steelers struggle to match.

Blog Entries

Wow. ^^^ WR Sanders from Pitt (RFA) is visiting NE today.

You don't see that much.

If they lose him (e.g. Pats make an offer they can't match), Pitt WR core looking bad.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Wow. ^^^ WR Sanders from Pitt (RFA) is visiting NE today.

You don't see that much.

If they lose him (e.g. Pats make an offer they can't match), Pitt WR core looking bad.
    The Patriots just signed Donald Jones too. It's an interesting move.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    The Patriots just signed Donald Jones too. It's an interesting move.
    I guess they think Brady can make anyone better.

Blog Entries

LB Brad Jones visiting Tenn