Page 38 of 114 FirstFirst ... 3637383940 ... LastLast

Re: Free Agent & Other Player Moves from Around the NFL

I was shocked Knighton went so cheaply. Even Jean Francois didn't wind up costing that much. I think we definitely should have stepped up and at least entered our name into the running for either player.

I'm not panicking yet, but the list of quality guys seems to be shrinking daily, and we are still stuck with $9.5 million in available money and fewer decent guys to spend it on.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I was shocked Knighton went so cheaply. Even Jean Francois didn't wind up costing that much. I think we definitely should have stepped up and at least entered our name into the running for either player.

I'm not panicking yet, but the list of quality guys seems to be shrinking daily, and we are still stuck with $9.5 million in available money and fewer decent guys to spend it on.
    We seriously need to sign a decent LB IMO, I'm really hoping for Brad Jones now.

There is a glut of ILB's out there.

I don't think we are going to sign a young guy necessarily...it will likely be a vet to hold the fort for 2-3 years max.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

My feelings exactly, but Jean Francois' deal would have been too rich for my blood at 4/$22m. That's a lot of money for a guy who has never been a starter at a non-premium position.

I'm not squirming about the CUTS the Ravens have made, but rather the cheap deals they HAVEN'T made with the good amount of cap space they have. They could still make a few moves but the market is shrinking fast. The two top guys on my list right now are LB Daryl Smith and FS Kerry Rhodes.

I do think there might be something to the notion that the Ravens want to carry over as much as possible into 2014 given a lot of cap numbers spike that year (Webb, Ngata, Flacco, Rice, etc. all have spikes next year, and some are pretty big.)

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    There is a glut of ILB's out there.

I don't think we are going to sign a young guy necessarily...it will likely be a vet to hold the fort for 2-3 years max.
    If its easy enough Woodlawn, do you have a list handy? thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bufflehead View Post
    If its easy enough Woodlawn, do you have a list handy? thanks
    I don't have a list, but off the top of my head...

Brad Jones
    Daryl Smith
    Karlos Dansby
    Brian Urlacher
    DJ Williams
    Rey Maualuga
    Dan Conner
    Larry Grant
    Bradie James

I'm sure there are more.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Brad Jones
    Daryl Smith
    Karlos Dansby
    Brian Urlacher
    DJ Williams
    Rey Maualuga
    Dan Conner
    Larry Grant
    Bradie James

I'm sure there are more.
    Thank you sir!

8. Re: Free Agent & Other Player Moves from Around the NFL

Brad Jones and Daryl Smith are the two I'm keeping an eye on.

Brad Jones
    Daryl Smith
    Karlos Dansby
    Brian Urlacher
    DJ Williams
    Rey Maualuga
    Dan Conner
    Larry Grant
    Bradie James

I'm sure there are more.
    Brad Jones is clearly the guy to get off that list. IMO, he has more of a sample size of success than Ellerbe and projects to be a good bit cheaper. What type of contract is in line for him in your opinion?

Larry Grant and Dansby would be the other two off that list that interest me. Dansby can still play and Grant has shown really nice flashes in limited opportunities. He could be the best FA linebacker in this class, but nobody would ever know it given him getting stuck behind Willis for so long.

Blog Entries

How much did Knighton sign for? That was a guy that I thought would be a good fit at NT for the Ravens.

Not terribly interested in Mauluga, Connor, James, or Urlacher.

Quote Originally Posted by Dirt1 View Post
    How much did Knighton sign for? That was a guy that I thought would be a good fit at NT for the Ravens.
    like $4.5-5 million over two years. It was dirt cheap.