Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: Who would you Rather Keep? Boldin or Ellerbe

It has to be Ellerbe. We have to remember that we are not going to running the same offensive system next year. I don't think Q is a great fit for Caldwell's system. His position is normally filled with shifty fast guys. Boldin is neither of these. I am sure Caldwell can make it work but 6+ million for a square peg in a round hole is kind of steep. Maybe they have not looked at an extension because even if they keep him this year, they don't see him in their future plans.

We are already looking to fill a lot of holes in the D next year. Ellerbe is being looked at as a cornerstone player going forward. Our front seven has a dearth of playmakers at this point, and Ellerbe has the potential to be one.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoeJangles View Post
    I don't think Q is a great fit for Caldwell's system. His position is normally filled with shifty fast guys.
    Yeah, we clearly seen that in the play offs. :grbac:

3. Re: Who would you Rather Keep? Boldin or Ellerbe

Quote Originally Posted by MrPoeJangles View Post
    It has to be Ellerbe. We have to remember that we are not going to running the same offensive system next year. I don't think Q is a great fit for Caldwell's system. His position is normally filled with shifty fast guys. Boldin is neither of these. I am sure Caldwell can make it work but 6+ million for a square peg in a round hole is kind of steep. Maybe they have not looked at an extension because even if they keep him this year, they don't see him in their future plans.

We are already looking to fill a lot of holes in the D next year. Ellerbe is being looked at as a cornerstone player going forward. Our front seven has a dearth of playmakers at this point, and Ellerbe has the potential to be one.
    Ellerbe is always injured and Caldwell's going to be gone next season :grbac:

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    smh.... some of the wild comments around here.

If you put it like that I say Boldin.

We are in position to draft an ILB in the first round and we have McClain under contract already.

WR's today are more valuable than ILB's.

Quote Originally Posted by Tspot-D-Ravenator View Post
    So you are saying that if Caldwell produces a good enough offence next year that he will be hired away, we should change it back to something that would work for a 34 year old Boldin. I don't know why I didn't think of that.

Blog Entries

Only because the Ravens have done so well in the past filling ILB with loose parts do I say Boldin.

Whereas our track record with finding WRs is.... yeah.

We are also well positioned to strengthen the D line (which will help the ILBs) with the way the draft is shaping up (where at least one good DE or NT should be available at the end of the first), and how even a decent ILB prospect like Kevin Reddick looks to be available at the end of the third. There are also some decent low cost vet FA options. We could plug and get by.

I don't see nearly as clearly how we would replace Boldin. If somebody showed me a Boldin-replacement scenario that's more plausible to me than the above "Ellerbe replacement scenario" I could certainly be convinced to change my mind about this one.

Boldin because I'm not convinced that Ellerbe will be able to stay healthy when he gets his payday. Injuries just seem to find certain players. Ellerbe has never been on the field for a complete season.

Blog Entries
    If I had to pick...Boldin.

I just think he is a better player than Ellerbe and he is significantly more durable.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries
    Ellerbe but I just hope we keep one of them

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

On top of the positional value, success the team has had at finding players to fill the position, likelyhood of repeating past success, and health...

Having Boldin for next year, you're only committed for next year and does not come with future cap ramifications.

Ellerbe in a heartbeat
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game