Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: What is the market for Cary Williams?

Quote Originally Posted by Shas View Post
    That's probably all true. But I guess the point of my thread is that this year looks oddly unique for the cornerback market. Williams is of the age where there won't be many opportunities to get a big deal...but there may not be a BIG payday out there for him this particular year. Furthermore, I wonder if the offer he turned down last year may be right round the best deal that he will find on the open market this year. Maybe he figures out that the deal he turned down is about his true market value right now, so why not stay with the team he knows? Or, at the very least, take a one year deal with the Ravens and test the market again next year.

Just asking.
    Your points are well taken. I guess timing is of the essence. Perhaps he should have signed on the dotted line last year, and not have to fight the glut of productive CBs out on the street with him. If he takes a one year deal to stay in Baltimore, and we know he'll give it his all so he can glean a BIG $ contract in 2014, then I'd be happy with that... Bc

Cary is probably the 4th best CB on our team. I appreciate all of his contributions but I won't miss him giving up out routes throughout the game. I hope he gets a big payday but I'm glad the Ravens won't be overpaying him.
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    Cary is probably the 4th best CB on our team. I appreciate all of his contributions but I won't miss him giving up out routes throughout the game. I hope he gets a big payday but I'm glad the Ravens won't be overpaying him.
    So, according to you he's not as good as Webb (coming off a 2nd season ending injury), Corey Graham (who I like a lot), and Jimmy Smith (who has yet to live up to his 1st round draft status)... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    So, according to you he's not as good as Webb (coming off a 2nd season ending injury), Corey Graham (who I like a lot), and Jimmy Smith (who has yet to live up to his 1st round draft status)... Bc
    Yep, pretty much
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaRaven View Post
    Yep, pretty much
    Then we're on the same page...LOL... Bc

Blog Entries

I say he get's about $4yr/$30mil. Similar to what the Ravens paid Foxworth, slightly higher...and he'll be overpaid just as Fox was.
    "What would you give for the man beside you?"

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    Then we're on the same page...LOL... Bc
    Haha

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    There are a lot more corners on the market than anyone expected. It's going to be interesting to see how much a team is willing to pay for Williams with all these other guys out there. He will absolutely get a lot of looks but will they pay him the big bucks over Sean Smith, DRC and Chris Gamble? I can't remember ever seeing this many good corners available.
    Agreed. Per economics, an increase in supply decreases the equilibrium price.

I think that Cary Williams will be paid like what a #1 CB would have gotten a couple of years ago. He clearly has his flaws and calling him even a #2 CB is generous, but he's the kind of signing I could see for teams that have a lot of cap space and need to stay 2013-2016 cap floor compliant. There's no reason for us to compete against teams in those situations.

I wonder how much his perceived emotional makeup will impact interest in him. There were two things I saw this year that concerned me from that standpoint.

One was on the Ravens 'Behind the Bench' series. I can't remember which game (Washington maybe?) but Ray was trying nicely to explain to him how he screwed up. And instead of saying, "Yes sir, Mr. Lewis, I'll try to do better next time" he was yelling at Ray about how it wasn't his fault. He doesn't strike me as a guy who takes coaching well.

The other thing, which was completely unforgivable, was shoving a ref in the Super Bowl. Biggest game of his life, and he could have -- SHOULD have -- cost us the game with that bonehead move. There are absolutely no excuses for that. He should have been tossed, and we are lucky we seemed to have the most laid back officiating crew in NFL history working that game. As close as the game turned out, I think there is at least a 50/50 chance that him getting tossed would have led to a different outcome of the game.

To be fair, I don't know Cary, and maybe these two incidents are not indicative of who he as a man. I'll leave it to the people who do know him to do that evaluation. But word gets around in this league, and with so many CB's on the market, it wouldn't surprise me if his value dropped due to these types of perceptions.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Hes older, but Id say he gets a 4/25-30 pretty easy. He was our #1 this year and even last year He always played the outside, and well enough to be a starter on just about any team. The thing id look for with him is guaranteed since he is a bit older at 28. I highly doubt some team doesnt at least offer him more than the 3/15 we did. I think he was one of the more underrated players on defense this year.
    -JAB

All of sudden there are a lot of good quality corners getting cut/released. Cary will have some competition for sure but there's no doubt he will more than the 3 yr/15M contract he declined from the Ravens.