Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Thread: WRs

Re: WRs

I would take Woods in the first. Just my preference. I think he has the chance to be a 100 catch player even though this offense isn't really built that way (what am I saying, that could change this year). Him, Allen, or Hopkins. I think the Pats may take Woods though depending on who is available. Just a hunch.

Also it was Hopkins in the hotel room fiasco and not Patterson. Apparently he is already denying any involvement in this affair.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I would take Woods in the first. Just my preference. I think he has the chance to be a 100 catch player even though this offense isn't really built that way (what am I saying, that could change this year). Him, Allen, or Hopkins. I think the Pats may take Woods though depending on who is available. Just a hunch.

Also it was Hopkins in the hotel room fiasco and not Patterson. Apparently he is already denying any involvement in this affair.
    I wouldn't be upset if they took Woods in the first.

However, I think that I'd rather seem them target Matt Elam or Jon Cyprien.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Woods in the 1st would make me sad. Not a fan of his release nor YAC. He's very good in between though.

Remember, we know that Torrey Smith is the Ravens' benchmark for "1st round grade" at the position. Different Draft, I know, but that's the best info we got.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Woods in the 1st would make me sad. Not a fan of his release nor YAC. He's very good in between though.

Remember, we know that Torrey Smith is the Ravens' benchmark for "1st round grade" at the position. Different Draft, I know, but that's the best info we got.
    To be a 1st round receiver IMO you either have to 1) have one potentially game-breaking trait that an offense can "orbit" around (i.e. Torrey Smith's deep speed, Tavon Austin's elusiveness, etc.) or 2) have an extremely competent all-around game with no real flaws and frequent moments of dominance (i.e. guys like Hakeem Nicks, Dez Bryant, Roddy White, etc.) When you have BOTH of those things, that's a top-5 or top-10 caliber receiver like AJ Green, Julio Jones, Calvin Johnson, etc.

Woods to me has neither. He doesn't have one great trait and he has a lot of flaws. I don't see him being dominant in the NFL. The guys I see fitting into the 1st round mold are Tavon Austin (game-breaking elusiveness), DeAndre Hopkins (complete total game), Justin Hunter (potentially game-breaking size/speed/body control a la Randy Moss), Cordarelle Patterson (game-breaking YAC).

Woods is a solid, competent #2 guy who will need a year or so to climb a depth chart. You can go and get a similar prospect at a better value in a later round.

Blog Entries

That's a great break down bmore. I would put Hopkins and Allen in the Hakeem Nicks/Roddy White category. I wouldn't put anyone this year in the AJ Green league. Patterson is an interesting prospect, but he's more along the lines of a Torrey Smith IMO, and Tavon Austin is a Percy Harvin type prospect which is obvious.

Justin Hunter is an interesting player, because if he was a polished receiver, you could easily put him in the Julio Jones league with that freakish size and speed, but he's instead a developmental player with huge upside, could be someone to look at, at 62.

He might not be the perfect specimen, but he is a football player. You hear that from the Ravens all the time in who they look for. I just think that he would be a nice addition to our team.

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/video...9-0fac3052d4cf

We're going to be in good hands whenever Ozzie moves on.

FWIW, paraphrasing Eric about mid-way through: If you're drafting a receiver, draft a receiver who's tough, competitive and has a tremendous work ethic. People get seduced by combine numbers, college catches, where they line-up, etc., and all of that's important. But what makes Torrey special is his personally, work ethic, demeanor and drive.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

FWIW, paraphrasing Eric about mid-way through: If you're drafting a receiver, draft a receiver who's tough, competitive and has a tremendous work ethic. People get seduced by combine numbers, college catches, where they line-up, etc., and all of that's important. But what makes Torrey special is his personally, work ethic, demeanor and drive.
    Man that guy is good, he knows what the fuck he's talking about. I would absolutely love to get him under the truth serum in a room and find out everything he thinks of this draft. I bet he's a really tough interviewer too, kind of get the feeling Erik plays the bad cop, Ozzie plays the good cop role.

Sounds like DeAndre Hopkins.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

It seems with all the hype surrounding Hopkins, we may have to jump in front of either the Texans or the Vikings to get him. Not sure if the Ravens play that game of moving up for a WR in the 1st. However, I have been curious of how many times when asked about WRs, the Ravens have mentioned how much they are looking forward to seeing the players already on the roster (Doss, Thompson, Streeter, Reed with Williams not being mentioned a lot) and kind of change cater the answer. I believe I've heard that from multiple front offices and coaches the same statement (towing the company line). Smokescreens you think?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    It seems with all the hype surrounding Hopkins, we may have to jump in front of either the Texans or the Vikings to get him. Not sure if the Ravens play that game of moving up for a WR in the 1st. However, I have been curious of how many times when asked about WRs, the Ravens have mentioned how much they are looking forward to seeing the players already on the roster (Doss, Thompson, Streeter, Reed with Williams not being mentioned a lot) and kind of change cater the answer. I believe I've heard that from multiple front offices and coaches the same statement (towing the company line). Smokescreens you think?
    There is a lot of buzz around Hopkins and the Rams. He has already had multiple visits and is again visiting today I think, with Fisher attending.

I highly doubt the Ravens would be willing to move up to 16 or 22 (the Rams spots) to get Hopkins.

In the real world, I can't imagine us moving up 10 spots or so for anyone.

@BigPlayReceiver