Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910

Thread: WRs

Re: WRs

Waaaay late in providing this...

So this is about the WRs that I studied with the goal of trying to balance draft value and team fit. By "team", I mean us...the Ravens. There is/was some instances of general alignment with professional media types. Ultimately, most GMs disagreed with me and the media collective (actual round selected is in parentheses).
    Never mind that though, I was only a little ticked that Ozzie and Co. disagreed with me

I'm already looking forward to see how these guys pan out over the next 2-4 years, so I can see if I know what the hell I'm talking about and hopefully improve my hobbycraft over time. Also, I plan to provide more detail behind my analyses, by watching way more "near real-time" (i.e., recorded on my DVR) games during the 2013 season. Last thing, FWIW, I plan to identify which guys may be on the path to success based on systems, depth chart, QB play, performance (as limited as it will be for the vast majority), etc. I want to make that a rolling process over time.

1st round value
    Tavon Austin WVU (1st round)

2nd round value
    Markus Wheaton Oregon (3rd round)
    Da'Rick Rogers TNTech (UDFA)
    Quinton Patton LATech (4th round)
    Keenan Allen Cal (3rd round)
    DeAndre Hopkins Clemson (1st round)
    Cordarrelle Patterson TN (1st round)

3rd round value
    Studman Bailey WVU (3rd round)
    Robert Woods USC (2nd round)
    Justin Hunter TN (2nd round)

4th round value
    Chad Bumphis MSST (UDFA)
    TJ Moe Mizz (UDFA)
    Uzoma Nwachukwu TX A&M (UDFA)
    Tavarres King UGA (5th round)
    Ryan Swope TX A&M (6th round)
    Aaron Dobson Marshall (2nd round)
    Aaron Mellette Elon (7th round)

5th round value
    Ryan Spadola Leigh (UDFA)
    Jasper Collins MtU (UDFA)
    Connor Vernon Duke (UDFA)
    Kenny Stiles OU (5th round)
    Terrance Williams Baylor (3rd round)
    Chris Harper KSU (4th round)

6th round value
    Zach Rogers TN (UDFA)
    Darius Johnson SMU (UDFA)
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Oh...and I guess that I should hope that our WR threads are few and far-between for 2014, b/c Torrey has pulled down something like 80 for 1200, Pitta grabbed the lion's share of Boldin's 2012 targets, and DT has become a better than expected complement on the backside or in the slot.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

I was looking at the Senior Bowl tapes and more specifically the WRs vs CBs and I can see why Mellette went in the 7th rd. Out of all of the players I saw (even small school), he had the most issues getting open. I did note however that he went a couple times against some of CBs that ended up being high draft picks (Desmond Trufant being one), but also against some lower rated CBs, he had the same issues. He let too many CBs get around him to bat down passes as well as telegraphing his routes.

This is by no means an attack on one of our rookies, just pointing out that he maybe more of a project this year than serious threat to contend for a roster spot. At this point he maybe practice squad or IRd depending on how fast he progresses, but the pluses are that he has that NFL look and physical ability (namely hands)

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I was looking at the Senior Bowl tapes and more specifically the WRs vs CBs and I can see why Mellette went in the 7th rd. Out of all of the players I saw (even small school), he had the most issues getting open. I did note however that he went a couple times against some of CBs that ended up being high draft picks (Desmond Trufant being one), but also against some lower rated CBs, he had the same issues. He let too many CBs get around him to bat down passes as well as telegraphing his routes.

This is by no means an attack on one of our rookies, just pointing out that he maybe more of a project this year than serious threat to contend for a roster spot. At this point he maybe practice squad or IRd depending on how fast he progresses, but the pluses are that he has that NFL look and physical ability (namely hands)
    I had the same assessment of Mellette, the guy just wasn't getting separation, which was a large part of my disapproval of us drafting him. I know that the SB coaches running the drills let the guys play, but either Mellette just didn't/doesn't have the physical tools nor the competitive edge that I would think FOs would want to see. Having said that, I do believe that college production (on any NCAA level) is a strong (though not guaranteed) predictor of NFL success; and certainly Mellette has that going for him.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere too, but the only other guy that I saw get owned more than Mellette was Ricky Wagner...and of course, we grabbed him too. But hey, I'm only a real GM in my own mind. Maybe these two will turn out to be solid pros.

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    I had the same assessment of Mellette, the guy just wasn't getting separation, which was a large part of my disapproval of us drafting him. I know that the SB coaches running the drills let the guys play, but either Mellette just didn't/doesn't have the physical tools nor the competitive edge that I would think FOs would want to see. Having said that, I do believe that college production (on any NCAA level) is a strong (though not guaranteed) predictor of NFL success; and certainly Mellette has that going for him.

I think I mentioned this elsewhere too, but the only other guy that I saw get owned more than Mellette was Ricky Wagner...and of course, we grabbed him too. But hey, I'm only a real GM in my own mind. Maybe these two will turn out to be solid pros.
    That is why I think the Ravens definitely have a comprehensive evaluation process. Basically, I believe the Ravens are the ultimate projectors of future success. With the Ravens doing so much work on players leading up to the draft, it may come down to coachable/correctable issues. With Mellette, he most likely has the ground work that they are looking for in a WR. With that being said, they haven't necessarily been the most successful at drafting WRs either except for Torrey.