Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: WRs

Re: WRs

HOU's release of Kevin Walter could interfere with Hopkins being available at #32 or in the 30's (on a trade-back).
    Allen's 2nd opinion on his knees is also a factor.

I figure Patterson and [a healthy] Allen will go 1-2.
    Not my 1-2, but that's why I'm not in the prediction business anymore.

DET, STL, MIN, and HOU now have definite WR needs. NE and NYJ are possibles.
    So I think Hopkins is going to be gone.

I would take Patton on a stretch (but not over Eifert, Datone Jones, et al), but I seriously doubt if our FO is aligned with me, and hell, Patton may be gone too.
    Hmmm...so I just talked my way into thinking that we won't go WR at #32 b/c the value just won't be there.
    Probably not there in the 30s and 40s either, so we won't take a WR even on a trade-down.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by Carey View Post
    I agree on Patton, think he's a stud, reminds of Reggie Wayne....I think Chris Harper in the 4th is good value, very Boldin like with better long speed.
    Yes I agree. Watching Harper does remind me of Boldin. What do you think of Conner Vernon From Duke?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by He/Ate/the/Box View Post
    Yes I agree. Watching Harper does remind me of Boldin. What do you think of Conner Vernon From Duke?
    I like Vernon. Great hands. Decent route-runner.
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Young Da'Rick comes across as decent and sincere here at his pro day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZGxXA...layer_embedded

Edit (3/23): Went back and watched more tape of Rogers.

I may have been in a bad mood or just dog-tired when I watched him last time, but I'm impressed with his route running more than anything else.
    He gets out of his breaking routes very quickly...as quickly as the smaller Markus Wheaton and Studman Bailey do.

He also sets up DBs very well. There's not much iso tape on Rogers, but from his "all targets" 2011 tape, you can see glimpses of him changing his release based upon coverage in order to "win" before he even makes his break. You can also see flashes of him running a slightly longer pre-stem in order to (I can only assume) get the DB to commit to coming out of his back peddle, so that Rogers' break can be more effective. I'd say his technical skill set (and on-field smarts) are pretty advanced. Not quite as good as Patton, Studman or Wheaton, but Rogers is up there.

What I would like him to do more consistently is fight for the deep ball. Also, with the 6'2 217lb Rogers only rocking 10 reps @ 225, he has room to put on 8-10 lbs of muscle; which should not jeopardize his speed and quickness much at all (accounting for his incredible 4.06 shuttle and 6.71 3-cone). And even with that weak bench, his Explosive Index is an outstanding 181.5.

Who knows if we are comfortable with his past troubles, but assuming that we are, Rogers gives you upper 2nd round talent for a mid-to-low 3rd round price.
    He's above-average on "foot separation", excellent on "route separation" and excellent on "toughness". I also score him excellent on "determined value" due to his strong 2011 performance at TN.
    Overall, I'd say he'd be a very good complementary fit opposite Torrey. Rogers would be the better route runner, but would be above-average deep threat as well. Looking at our depth chart, Rogers would get every opporunity to get some playing time as a rookie, since no one else has his complete skill-set. A 2nd year Rogers opposite a 4th year Torrey could be a very good combo...and that's not even counting who's in the slot, along with Doss and Streeter's development.
    Last edited by BigPlayReceiver; 03-23-2013 at 12:30 PM.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

So from the perspective of fit or "what I think we need", my WR board is below.

Old Assumption: Boldin and JJ12 will be back and in their 2012 positions (slot and #3/X respectively)

New Assumption 1: JJ12, Doss and Reed will compete for the "X" (out-wide opposite Torrey)
    New Assumption 2: Caldwell has already designed plays for Austin
    New Assumption 3: We are comfortable with Rogers

1st - Tavon Austin WVU
    Austin has the most elite athletic skill set that I have ever seen. He also happens to be a very good football player.

2nd - Quinton Patton LATech, Da'Rick Rogers TNTech, Coradelle Patterson TN, Keenan Allen Cal
    --Setting aside elite athletism, Patton is the best pure WR in the Draft. He would have been in 2012 and 2010 also.
    --Rogers' foot-speed at his size is scary. He will have no trouble creating separation in the NFL. With some muscle, he could become an excellent pro.
    --Patterson has freakish elusiveness, but I don't trust his hands or his routes. Can't draft a guy in the 1st if he's still learning the position.
    --Allen is good, but there's nothing 1st round about his skill-set.

3rd - Studman Bailey WVU, Markus Wheaton ORSt, DeAndre Hopkins Clemson, Aaron Dobson Marshall, Aaron Mellette Elon, Robert Woods USC, Justin Hunter TN
    Each guy here does a few things very well, but I'm not convinced that their strengths will translate to "starter material" in the NFL. Starters are most often found in the 1st and 2nd. In the case of Woods and Hunter, this is a safe place to draft them due to injury recoveries. As an outstanding technician, Studman "belongs" in the 2nd round, but with corners only getting bigger over time, I'm not sure that won't be hindered by his 5'10 frame.

4th - Chad Bumphis MSST, Ryan Swope TX A&M, Uzoma Nwachukwu TX A&M
    --Bumphis has the best WR value in the Draft IMO. Strong hands, very good athlete, excellent feet, deceptive speed, and completely off most teams radars. Looking at his skill set, performance and value, I'd be very disappointed if the Ravens don't draft him unless they've actually taken a WR earlier.
    --Swope is here, b/c of his concussion history. Otherwise, he has 3rd round value purely from the slot.
    --Nwachukwu doesn't have the stats, but he stands out on tape big time. I think that Manziel looked at Swope, Evans and then ran. He often never looked at Nwachukwu unless it was his 1st read on the play.

5th - Connor Vernon Duke, Kenny Stiles OU, Terrance Williams BAY, Chris Harper KSU, Jasper Collins MtU, Tavarres King UGA, Ryan Spadola Leigh
    Varying "athlete-to-football player" ratios, various degrees of college production. I feel like each guy can make valuable contributions if a spot can be earned.

6th - Zach Rogers TN, Darius Johnson SMU
    Small, quick route-runners with excellent hands; a skill-set combo that this team has lacked since Stokely.

This is not where I predict guys will be drafted.
    This is value with boosters added in for "overall fit". Overall fit means that this guy has skills that we just don't have on the roster.
    This is much more Cosell than Kiper.
    All I did was watch tape...70% game clips, 10% highlights, 20% interviews (that latter category has nothing to do with these rankings, but do play into who I think we may actually draft).

@BigPlayReceiver

Great stuff BPR, i was just getting ready to get on and asked you about Rogers. I checked him out the other day and saw some savvy i didnt expect to see, very natural setting up DB's, doesnt seem choppy or like he's thinking too much.

Great stuff BPR, i was just getting ready to get on and asked you about Rogers. I checked him out the other day and saw some savvy i didnt expect to see, very natural setting up DB's, doesnt seem choppy or like he's thinking too much.
    Thanks Carey. I was embarrassed that I didn't see what Rogers was showing me the first time though

Certainly, Rogers is not the man that Torrey is; but if we are okay with who Rogers is today, and since our FO was stunned that Torrey was available at #57 then we should be equally stunned if Rogers is there at #63.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    ... then we should be equally stunned if Rogers is there at #63.
    #62 (the Browns and Saints do not have 2nd round picks)... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Old Assumption: Boldin and JJ12 will be back and in their 2012 positions (slot and #3/X respectively)

New Assumption 1: JJ12, Doss and Reed will compete for the "X" (out-wide opposite Torrey)
    New Assumption 2: Caldwell has already designed plays for Austin
    New Assumption 3: We are comfortable with Rogers

--Swope is here, b/c of his concussion history. Otherwise, he has 3rd round value purely from the slot.
    A question as I am not a very good evaluator of WR's:

About Ryan Swope- I think I am right that he mainly played slot in college, but with his speed and okay size couldn't he possibly be considered out wider and compete for the X? Again I don't know if this is silly or what...

Great info you are giving us!

Just watched Nwachukwu for the first time and i came away really impressed, he looks and plays bigger then his listed measurables, looks like he can play inside or outside, smooth strider with good speed and tracks the football. I'd love for Caldwell to get a hold of this guy, ironically he reminds me of Pierre Garcon.

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    #62 (the Browns and Saints do not have 2nd round picks)... Bc
    Ah cool. I gotta remember that. Thanks.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries
    Just watched Nwachukwu for the first time and i came away really impressed, he looks and plays bigger then his listed measurables, looks like he can play inside or outside, smooth strider with good speed and tracks the football. I'd love for Caldwell to get a hold of this guy, ironically he reminds me of Pierre Garcon.
    Good comparison.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.