Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 13 to 22 of 22
  1. #13
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    1,959
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?



    yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes. Yes.




  2. #14

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    In hindsight, did the Ravens jump the gun? For the highest paid player on the team, does the production match the value? He has pretty much been hurt ever since he signed and just hasn't been the force he was his first five years in the league. I know he is still great a pushing the pocket and eating space, but is it $12mil great? Can we ever expect him to put in a healthy season again? I hope so.
    Ngatas contract was 9,7 million in average. Less then Suggs. But his 16 million dollar cap hits for 2014 and 2015 is really steep. Obviously he`s not worth that. The FO will probably do something prior to the 2015 season to lower his cap number. A cheaper extension most likely. But if his production drops, he might be flat out cut. Or if we simply can`t afford him, we might trade him.




  3. #15

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Ngata's contract was well deserved at the time considering how dominant he was and what the market was for his position.
    When healthy he's one of the best.
    It's very easy to play hindsight with every player's contract. Charles Johnson's signed a 6 year, 72m deal in July 2011. I think his current cap # is 13M yet he's only 26. You don't think 3 years from now his production will level off and fans of the panthers will be having the same discussion as we are?




  4. #16
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,661
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Was there a team out there that would have been able to sign Ngata for less? No, there wasn't. Ngata got a market value deal.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  5. #17

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    Ngata's contract was well deserved at the time considering how dominant he was and what the market was for his position.
    When healthy he's one of the best.
    It's very easy to play hindsight with every player's contract. Charles Johnson's signed a 6 year, 72m deal in July 2011. I think his current cap # is 13M yet he's only 26. You don't think 3 years from now his production will level off and fans of the panthers will be having the same discussion as we are?
    I'll go a step further, wehn healthy, he is not ONE of the best, to me, he is CLEARLY the best Dlineman in football. Not DT, DLineman.




  6. #18
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,236
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I'll go a step further, wehn healthy, he is not ONE of the best, to me, he is CLEARLY the best Dlineman in football. Not DT, DLineman.




  7. #19

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I'll go a step further, wehn healthy, he is not ONE of the best, to me, he is CLEARLY the best Dlineman in football. Not DT, DLineman.
    I'd say with the exception of JJ Watt, but that's not Ngata's fault - Watt just might have had the best season of any player in NFL history. Offense or defense.

    I think the other thing we have to remember is that people actually thought Ngata was a bit of a bargain at the time, which is a rarity for a huge extension. It was the right move to make at the time and Ngata is an asset for us even when injured.




  8. #20

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by GaTechRavens View Post
    I'd say with the exception of JJ Watt, but that's not Ngata's fault - Watt just might have had the best season of any player in NFL history. Offense or defense.

    I think the other thing we have to remember is that people actually thought Ngata was a bit of a bargain at the time, which is a rarity for a huge extension. It was the right move to make at the time and Ngata is an asset for us even when injured.
    I'll grant you JJ SWAT. sort of forgot about him, not sure how. was thinking of the players we used to compare to Ngata as best DL in football, and players lie Peppers have fallen further/faster then Ngata has.




  9. #21

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    Quote Originally Posted by yahoomas View Post
    Ngatas contract was 9,7 million in average. Less then Suggs. But his 16 million dollar cap hits for 2014 and 2015 is really steep. Obviously he`s not worth that. The FO will probably do something prior to the 2015 season to lower his cap number. A cheaper extension most likely. But if his production drops, he might be flat out cut. Or if we simply can`t afford him, we might trade him.
    He got what he was worth and he's been a beast. The way the contract was structured it's like Flacco's, cap friendly for a few years then a huge hit. 16m next year is going to give rise to doing something to reduce that.




  10. #22

    Re: was Ngata overpaid?

    I don't want to make claims about Ngata being THE best, but to me, clearly he's in the top 5:

    Watt
    Ngata
    Justin Smith
    Geno Atkins
    Somebody from the NFC probably that I don't pay much attention to




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland