Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Other than Ray, the Ravens allocate almost NOTHING salary-wise to the ILB position. There has got to be a reason for that. I'm guessing it's the scheme, and that the Ravens believe they can scrape up guys off the UDFA list every year and keep re-fililng it. Seeing that Ellerbe was himself a UDFA along with all the other ILBs not named Ray Lewis, I'd say they've got a good process in place to handle vacancies at ILB.
    Or maybe, for all those years, they could afford to allocate almost nothing salary-wise - other than Ray - at the ILB position because....they always had Ray.

When you have the GOAT playing one of the ILB positions, you can afford to scrimp just a little at the other. That's not the case anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    While we're fixing quotes... :hammer:
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Take nothing Preston says ...
    I figured a fix and improve was in order . . .

Blog Entries

hahahah loving the quotes

Blog Entries

I love how guys always say ellerbe sucks at coverage, yet name an ILB thats better on this team...

Didnt think so. Hes had some great games (week 3 he primarily covered gronk 2-21) and some worse ones but hes shown the ability and has improved. Start of the season when people were shocked at how much he was playing, his answer was against passing teams hed be in for coverage and mcclain would come in for running teams. That never happened as he played the best in both aspects of any ILB on the team. He also was one of our better pass rushers. Hes shown this ability dating back to his rookie year. Then he went to the doghouse for his immaturity, grew up and changed coaches opinions but had hamstring issues, before playing through injuries this year. Injury prone is a legitimate knock but i like his toughness to play through it anyway.
    -JAB

I understand the teams with money to burn will sign players for big bucks to improve their fan base. But it is a TEAM, and when these players come in and are not world beaters then the GM & coaches catch the blame. Look at all the $$$ TB spent last year. They got more improvement out of their draft. They are already willing the cut Wright.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I love how guys always say ellerbe sucks at coverage, yet name an ILB thats better on this team...

Didnt think so. Hes had some great games (week 3 he primarily covered gronk 2-21) and some worse ones but hes shown the ability and has improved. Start of the season when people were shocked at how much he was playing, his answer was against passing teams hed be in for coverage and mcclain would come in for running teams. That never happened as he played the best in both aspects of any ILB on the team. He also was one of our better pass rushers. Hes shown this ability dating back to his rookie year. Then he went to the doghouse for his immaturity, grew up and changed coaches opinions but had hamstring issues, before playing through injuries this year. Injury prone is a legitimate knock but i like his toughness to play through it anyway.
    Ellerbe is a great player who must be re-signed, there is no question about that. Anyone who is trying to sugar coat this and say he's not a 3 down LB and saying he isn't even that good needs to watch the tape, we absolutely need him back.

Blog Entries

Concur with that. If Ellerbe gets resigned I would not be surprised to see McClain cut as well. Never really thought he was that good at ILB and rarely see him make a good play that affects the game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    Concur with that. If Ellerbe gets resigned I would not be surprised to see McClain cut as well. Never really thought he was that good at ILB and rarely see him make a good play that affects the game.
    :word

I like McClain as a person, and he's a good rotational player. But he really has no explosion to his game, and isn't half the athlete Ellerbe is. There is no way you pay McClain as much as he's getting now to be a rotational LB.

Blog Entries

Then they draft 2 ILB's and have an extra 2+mil to work with from McClain being let go and Bynes showed some good play last year, I think Bynes easily replaces McClain but with bigger hits and grit.

Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    They are past their prime.
    The understatement of the year so far. All this talk of whether or not Ellerbe can cover is bunk. Dude can cover for a linebacker. Watch the Superbowl. The 2 best ILB's in the game were on the other team and Boldin took their lunch money. Coverage isn't in the top 2 things that an ILB needs to be able to do well in Pees' D.

Blog Entries

Rewatching the SB, Ellerbe not only knocked Gore out to prevent the TD, but also was the guy that made Colin K throw the ball early and out of bounds on the goal-line stand. He came through the line untouched.

Ellerbe was absolutely crucial at the end there.

The only reason one can really justify not giving Ellerbe a decent sized contract are his injury issues. Based on his play, he has really started to come into his own, and if he stays healthy we could be saying we got him for a bargain in a few years.