Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Results 46 to 60 of 149
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Chapel Hill, NC
    Posts
    606

    Cool Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal



    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Take anything Preston says with a bucket of shit!...
    Fixed it for you!




  2. #47
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,293
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Quote Originally Posted by pslholder96 View Post
    I really do hope we resign Ellerbe. He's our best linebacker right now on the roster. I hate to go into next season with a linebacker core of Upshaw, McClellan, Bynes, future draftee and Mcclain (coming of injury). We would have some serious depth issues.
    That doesn't mean he's worth $6 million a year though. While Ellerbe is clearly a valuable player, the fact that he's the best guy we have at one position doesn't mean he's actually worth a big money contract. We're paying Jamell McClain about half that, and frankly it's too much money.

    Six million bucks pays for a lot of depth. I don't know how wise it would be to spend it on one guy just so we don't go through spring and summer wondering who will play his spot. I am sure there's a FA or rookie out there we can use to fill his role, for less, if that's what it comes to. I just don't see Ellerbe fitting in the Ravens' salary structure given the numbers being thrown around.

    Other than Ray, the Ravens allocate almost NOTHING salary-wise to the ILB position. There has got to be a reason for that. I'm guessing it's the scheme, and that the Ravens believe they can scrape up guys off the UDFA list every year and keep re-fililng it. Seeing that Ellerbe was himself a UDFA along with all the other ILBs not named Ray Lewis, I'd say they've got a good process in place to handle vacancies at ILB.




  3. #48
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,293
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Take anything Preston says and just ignore it...
    While we're fixing quotes...




  4. #49

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Other than Ray, the Ravens allocate almost NOTHING salary-wise to the ILB position. There has got to be a reason for that. I'm guessing it's the scheme, and that the Ravens believe they can scrape up guys off the UDFA list every year and keep re-fililng it. Seeing that Ellerbe was himself a UDFA along with all the other ILBs not named Ray Lewis, I'd say they've got a good process in place to handle vacancies at ILB.
    Or maybe, for all those years, they could afford to allocate almost nothing salary-wise - other than Ray - at the ILB position because....they always had Ray.

    When you have the GOAT playing one of the ILB positions, you can afford to scrimp just a little at the other. That's not the case anymore.




  5. #50
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    San Dimas, CA
    Posts
    7,794

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    While we're fixing quotes...
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Take nothing Preston says ...
    I figured a fix and improve was in order . . .




  6. #51
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    hahahah loving the quotes




  7. #52

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    I love how guys always say ellerbe sucks at coverage, yet name an ILB thats better on this team...

    Didnt think so. Hes had some great games (week 3 he primarily covered gronk 2-21) and some worse ones but hes shown the ability and has improved. Start of the season when people were shocked at how much he was playing, his answer was against passing teams hed be in for coverage and mcclain would come in for running teams. That never happened as he played the best in both aspects of any ILB on the team. He also was one of our better pass rushers. Hes shown this ability dating back to his rookie year. Then he went to the doghouse for his immaturity, grew up and changed coaches opinions but had hamstring issues, before playing through injuries this year. Injury prone is a legitimate knock but i like his toughness to play through it anyway.
    -JAB




  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    shrewsbury, pa
    Posts
    620

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    I understand the teams with money to burn will sign players for big bucks to improve their fan base. But it is a TEAM, and when these players come in and are not world beaters then the GM & coaches catch the blame. Look at all the $$$ TB spent last year. They got more improvement out of their draft. They are already willing the cut Wright.




  9. #54
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    I love how guys always say ellerbe sucks at coverage, yet name an ILB thats better on this team...

    Didnt think so. Hes had some great games (week 3 he primarily covered gronk 2-21) and some worse ones but hes shown the ability and has improved. Start of the season when people were shocked at how much he was playing, his answer was against passing teams hed be in for coverage and mcclain would come in for running teams. That never happened as he played the best in both aspects of any ILB on the team. He also was one of our better pass rushers. Hes shown this ability dating back to his rookie year. Then he went to the doghouse for his immaturity, grew up and changed coaches opinions but had hamstring issues, before playing through injuries this year. Injury prone is a legitimate knock but i like his toughness to play through it anyway.
    Ellerbe is a great player who must be re-signed, there is no question about that. Anyone who is trying to sugar coat this and say he's not a 3 down LB and saying he isn't even that good needs to watch the tape, we absolutely need him back.




  10. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    California Island (New Capital of R.O.M)
    Posts
    1,851
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Concur with that. If Ellerbe gets resigned I would not be surprised to see McClain cut as well. Never really thought he was that good at ILB and rarely see him make a good play that affects the game.




  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    "Merry old England"
    Posts
    9,307
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Quote Originally Posted by Sua Sponte View Post
    Concur with that. If Ellerbe gets resigned I would not be surprised to see McClain cut as well. Never really thought he was that good at ILB and rarely see him make a good play that affects the game.


    I like McClain as a person, and he's a good rotational player. But he really has no explosion to his game, and isn't half the athlete Ellerbe is. There is no way you pay McClain as much as he's getting now to be a rotational LB.




  12. #57
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    California Island (New Capital of R.O.M)
    Posts
    1,851
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Concur with that. If Ellerbe gets resigned I would not be surprised to see McClain cut as well. Never really thought he was that good at ILB and rarely see him make a good play that affects the game.
    Then they draft 2 ILB's and have an extra 2+mil to work with from McClain being let go and Bynes showed some good play last year, I think Bynes easily replaces McClain but with bigger hits and grit.




  13. #58

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Quote Originally Posted by DrUnk View Post
    They are past their prime.
    The understatement of the year so far. All this talk of whether or not Ellerbe can cover is bunk. Dude can cover for a linebacker. Watch the Superbowl. The 2 best ILB's in the game were on the other team and Boldin took their lunch money. Coverage isn't in the top 2 things that an ILB needs to be able to do well in Pees' D.




  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    6,162
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    Rewatching the SB, Ellerbe not only knocked Gore out to prevent the TD, but also was the guy that made Colin K throw the ball early and out of bounds on the goal-line stand. He came through the line untouched.

    Ellerbe was absolutely crucial at the end there.




  15. #60

    Re: Ravens ellerbe close to deal

    The only reason one can really justify not giving Ellerbe a decent sized contract are his injury issues. Based on his play, he has really started to come into his own, and if he stays healthy we could be saying we got him for a bargain in a few years.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland