Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Ayanbadejo takes exit physical

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Source says not to read anything ominous into Brendon Ayanbadejo's Tweets about exit physical, MRIs.

He'll be 37 next season, it's time.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    go back and watch Jacoby's SB return. BA had a HUGE hold on that return, combining with AA. They literally picked up and carried a guy down the field.
    You do know that the way the rule is written that wasn't a hold, right? It has something to do with the engagement of the blockers, the guy they are blocking and the fact that he didn't drag the guy to the ground. It sounds weird, but that's what I've read. I don't care enough, though, to hunt down the link.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    You do know that the way the rule is written that wasn't a hold, right? It has something to do with the engagement of the blockers, the guy they are blocking and the fact that he didn't drag the guy to the ground. It sounds weird, but that's what I've read. I don't care enough, though, to hunt down the link.
    Not saying it was a penalty, I mean he had an absolutely AWESOME block on the coverage guy.

He "held" him from tackling Jacoby. :)

Now the safety play, THAT was ILLEGAL holding. But, cest la vie, it would've been a safety and 4 sec left on the clock anyway
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries

also, it wasn't AA...can't see who it was on the All Angles video, but I can clearly see #35 away from BA's block
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Not saying it was a penalty, I mean he had an absolutely AWESOME block on the coverage guy.

Now the safety play, THAT was ILLEGAL holding. But, cest la vie, it would've been a safety and 4 sec left on the clock anyway
    Got it.

By the way, I had the opportunity to hear John Harbaugh speak recently, and he made a comment about the special teams coverage on the Trindon Holiday punt return. He said the wind blew the punt to the other side of the field and caused the bad spacing of the coverage team. Interesting point of view.

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    I read a ravor post at one point that we could cut him, and then re-sign him under some vet exception for the same dollar ammount and till get nearly a half million in cap savings.
    I don't think that's correct at all. If you add his dead money of $267k to the veteran minimum salary, it's no savings at all over what he's making now. By my math above, cutting BA saves $208k against the cap. Peanuts essentially.

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    I don't think that's correct at all. If you add his dead money of $267k to the veteran minimum salary, it's no savings at all over what he's making now. By my math above, cutting BA saves $208k against the cap. Peanuts essentially.
    he mentioned some sort of exception for vested vets where as you coul pay him the same salary again but hav it count similar to a UDFA. I really don't know enough to disagree with what i read.

If I remember correctly, the blockers were told to hold, tackle, mug and do anything else necessary to keep Koch upright and running time off the clock.

I have no issue with whichever way they go with BA. If they cut him loose then I for one will be grateful to BA for his contributions.

BA was a good ST player IMO and contributed periodically on the defensive side with the injuries that came to pass periodically. He had a limited role but did it professionally and added to the team via those contributions. Good luck to him in whatever he does (media most likely) if he is cut loose.
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mmi16 View Post
    If I remember correctly, the blockers were told to hold, tackle, mug and do anything else necessary to keep Koch upright and running time off the clock.
    This is actually a very smarmy, and smart, move by Harbs...He played the loophole in the NFL rules to a tee. Basically, because they can't tack the time BACK on the clock, the clock would remain at wherever it stopped after Koch ran out of bounds. And holding in the endzone is still a safety. So even if a penalty had been called, it would've been the same result.

Smart move by a guy who frequently gets lambasted for his decision making on challenges and clock management. PFT made a whiny post after the SB about how the Competition Committee might revisit that situation and make changes, but really, how could you? The only change I could see that could affect it "fairly" is that an offensive holding penalty in the endzone within final two minutes of a game results in no play (thus no time off the clock) but a safety is awarded to the defense.

We'll see if it's changed, my bet is no since the talk on that has been next to nothing since the Super Bowl.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    If the team believes he's lost that step (& the two TD returns at Denver are suggestive) then it's sayonara time--cap savings are immaterial.
    I actually don't think he has lost a step. He's very well conditioned and in his limited role, could probably find a way to drop 10 pounds in the offseason if he needs to, to maintain speed, and still be able to tackle. Seems plausible enough to me.

OTOH he's what, 37? Might be we can find somebody younger to grow into a similar role. Not that I don't respect what he's done, but there's a lot of quality athletes out there looking for an NFL job... he can't be that hard to replace.

As for the Denver plays, I can't say who was at fault on the kickoff TD, but the punt was entirely on Koch. The coverage was designed for the ball to be kicked left, and Koch missed his spot by 30 yards. Everybody was pulled out of their lanes, trying to adjust to the unexpected landing point, and it was easy pickin's from there.