Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Ayanbadejo takes exit physical

Quote Originally Posted by LukeDaniel View Post
    There is very little cap savings in cutting Ayanbadejo, so I'm not sure why the move to cut him would be made. Ayanbadejo has been such a reliable backup for a while now. It seems every year, at some point, we have to turn to him for passing down snaps at MLB because of injuries ahead of him.

If you want to get younger, I get it, but why not bring him in to camp and then cut him if he's not one of your top 53 guys?

Ayanbadejo has a base salary of $955k for next year. If you cut him and replace him with a guy making $480k, that's a savings of $475k. However, he also carries a dead money total of $267k. So cutting him essentially saves $208k. That's so insignificant that it's not even worth doing.
    Even with injuries we had BA wasnt used much at all on defense and when he was didnt look like the player of even a year ago. I think ideghedo (sp?) being a younger ST ace, it makes sense, imo. You should be able to replace him for a younger cheaper player with minimal downgrade in ST and probably upgrade ILB with way way more potential.
    -JAB

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Raveninwoodlawn View Post
    Wow...is anyone really complaining about our special teams this year?

This was perhaps the greatest year of special teams play in our history...and as the captain, BA played an enormous role with that.

We don't win 10 games or win the Super Bowl without our special teams.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    You talking to me?

I'm not complaining particularly. I know the ST were good because unlike prior years I can't recall a single game (outside the frigid confines of Wild Hype Stadium) where I was screaming for Rosburg to be hung from the nearest lamppost . But you have to admit they did pick a pretty large stage to screw the pooch on...

<soapbox>

There are (at least) two competing philosophies for filling the back end of the roster. One is to retain the best backups available for your starters & try to teach them good ST play & mold them into a unit. The other is to collect the best ST players available & build a really good unit & hope they'll be serviceable backups on offense or defense if needed (whilst crossing fingers, toes & eyes so hard they cramp that they won't be needed).

This is further complicated by incoming mid- to late-round draftees, who aren't day-1 starters but will (hopefully) be starting a year or two down the line. These guys have to stay on the roster but also need to pull their weight, which means ST. They need to be taught NFL-level play at their nominal positions and on ST--which pretty much means starting from scratch, since most of them were stars in HS & college & didn't play ST at all. It's a helluva lot for a newby to absorb & not all succeed (e.g., Kruger caught flak early in his career for struggling with ST play).

IMO the Ravens lean toward the second approach--the last guys on the roster will, ceteris paribus*, be chosen for ST skills. You'd expect that with a former ST coach for a HC. The downside though is that if&when starters get hurt, the drop in perfomance tends to be more noticeable both in the starting lineup and on ST (where the now-starters are replaced by new additions to the roster who have to be integrated into the unit)--but of course in the latter case the original performance level was (one hopes) fairly high to begin with.

</soapbox>

*Alla yinz sayin' "say whaaat?" may click the link for your non-porcine Latin lesson of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post
    Well, Lewis wasn't playing. Neither was Ellerbe, neither was McClain. We also had a street free agent that we had just signed (Chris Johnson) playing corner and giving up the TD on that drive. So... not sure what you're getting at. We should cut him because one play as the 5th string ILB he didn't make a stop? That's not enough evidence to make a personnel decision. Shit happens, especially when you're reaching deep into the depth chart.

Is your point actually "because the 5th string ILB didn't make a play that Ray Lewis would have made, he shouldn't be on the team"? Because if that is your point, then your point would lead to the conclusion that the team should have no other ILB's besides Ray Lewis.

BA after all IS a backup LB, and pretty much the last resort. At that point it was him and Bynes (just up from the practice squad) in the game, with Bynes wearing the headset. Not exactly ideal.
    My point is,BA had the responsibility of stopping Cousins from scoring as the linebacker. Make all the excuses you want as far as a 5th string LB. The defense all year played with backups and would bend, but not break. To make the play when it is necessary is the not break part in the red zone. Ba did not make the stop on Cousins and they lost because of it. Never said cut him, just pointing out that game situation. All backups should be able to play when needed and play well. Ba has played LB before for the Ravens. He is not getting younger, next man up.

Blog Entries
    For his age he is in incredible shape
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Blog Entries

Has Brendon Ayanabadejo actually been released yet?
    "When questioned, the Elders explained that they were in search of magical powers. However, they're actually searching for the whereabouts of a certain ring. This ring is a legendary treasure that long ago was known to exist"

Lets get back on topic, folks.

Thanks!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    I haven't seen anything.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    No. According to a tweet from Aaron Wilson this exit physical has nothing to do with BA potentially being cut.
    He Who Dares.....Wins