Page 6 of 58 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Re: Boldin

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Yes, please.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Also yes please. Third round gem.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabrosin View Post
    This is ridiculous news IF it's not a bluff.
    Ozzie doesn't play those games. It's real.

1) Caldwell is not running the show. This is Ozzie saying that Boldin needs to cut his contract down or get released. The odds are good that he will take a pay cut like a bunch of other NFL players are doing now to stay with their teams. Cutting Boldin's salary is preferable to extending him since it would put him on a year to year basis and at his age that's wise. But the main thing is to get his cap number down. That's priority #1.

2) The Ravens are not targeting Austin or any other WR in the draft specifically. Any thoughts that any specific rookie could fill Boldin's shoes (or have his hands) is really silly. The important thing here is not Austin or any rookie but creating cap space.

3) If the Ravens are targeting anything in the draft it is defense. Just like Ozzie said-starting with the DL.

4) The Ravens need cap space to sign Ellerbe or any other FA.

It would be a huge blow if Boldin leaves. I understand he has a huge salary that should be re worked but he has to stay. I laugh at people saying Doss, Streeter, LQ, Thomposn or a rookie going to automatically take over Boldin's spot. I just don't see how is that going to happen. We are going in to next season as defending champs. My conclusion keep him somehow somway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    1) Caldwell is not running the show. This is Ozzie saying that Boldin needs to cut his contract down or get released. The odds are very high that he will take a pay cut like a bunch of other NFL players are doing now to stay with their teams. Cutting Boldin's salary is preferable to extending him since it would put him on a year to year basis and at his age that's wise.

2) The Ravens are not targeting Austin or any other WR in the draft specifically. Any thoughts that any specific rookie could fill Boldin's shows is really silly. The important thing here is not Austin or any rookie but creating cap space.

3) If the Ravens are targeting anything in the draft it is defense. Just like Ozzie said-starting with the DL.

1. Considering how close the Ravens came to releasing him yesterday, I think the money is against him taking the cut. Our only hope now is by Monday or Tuesday, Ravens propose an extension that will lower his salary, but give him more money long term.

2. Agree

3. Disagree, Ravens could be targeting offensive players too. We need a LT solution, we need a suitor at WR.

4. We have some cap space...Probably need a little more to make a FA play, but I think Ozzie isn't going to be a major player in FA. mainly looking to retain a few key guys and use our 11 draft picks.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    They could also be creating cap space to make sure that they can keep Ed Reed for another year or two. He still has some value here.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

I'm not even sure which free agent -- our own or from another team -- is even worth what Boldin brings to the Ravens.

I would be completely fine going into free agency with about $3 M in cap space and operating that way.

The team will need to make room to sign their draft picks. But at that rate, if they cut other players like Leach and BA, that should be sufficient to offset the difference.

To me, it shouldn't even get to the point where they need to cut Boldin to gain more room. I wouldn't cut Boldin until it was an absolute necessity. I hope the front office can get something worked out because with Boldin, this is a top 10 offense next season.

Quote Originally Posted by sopranocorleone View Post

I'm not even sure which free agent -- our own or from another team -- is even worth what Boldin brings to the Ravens.

I would be completely fine going into free agency with about $3 M in cap space and operating that way.

The team will need to make room to sign their draft picks. But at that rate, if they cut other players like Leach and BA, that should be sufficient to offset the difference.

To me, it shouldn't even get to the point where they need to cut Boldin to gain more room. I wouldn't cut Boldin until it was an absolute necessity. I hope the front office can get something worked out because with Boldin, this is a top 10 offense next season.
    All true, the Ravens have shown to be able to plug and play on defense but wide receiver is a whole different ball game.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sopranocorleone View Post

The draft barely affects the cap at all, because of the new CBA most of the rookies are earning as much as your ERFAs are earning, who are already under contract before the draft.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    1. Considering how close the Ravens came to releasing him yesterday, I think the money is against him taking the cut. Our only hope now is by Monday or Tuesday, Ravens propose an extension that will lower his salary, but give him more money long term.

2. Agree

3. Disagree, Ravens could be targeting offensive players too. We need a LT solution, we need a suitor at WR.

4. We have some cap space...Probably need a little more to make a FA play, but I think Ozzie isn't going to be a major player in FA. mainly looking to retain a few key guys and use our 11 draft picks.

Yeah you are right and I will restate what I am thinking. If we do cut Boldin we may target offensive players early. WR, LT. Sure doesn't look like there is much value at 32 though for a LT, and besides we may pick up a cheaper McKinnie-like LT still. That player may not come to the team until August.. WR...there seems to me decent value through 4 rounds. We could take Austin but the team would have to feel like Austin is easily the best value at that point and I kinda doubt that is true.

Another thing about WR: we fans do not know what Caldwell thinks of Reed, Williams, Thompson, and Streeter. It could be that unlike Cam, Caldwell sees real potential in them. We did see once Cam was fired that Doss was targeted more and on crucial downs. and we saw Reed make catches. Neither would have happened under Cam. And now in the coming year Caldwell will revamp the passing playbook, introducing another variable that us fans have to deal with in projecting who the WR corps will be. So it could be that the team (Caldwell) likes the WR's we have now well enough to let go of Boldin and not immediately feel a need to try and draft a starter. We are really in the dark here.

But targeting Boldin for cap relief over Leach or others is interesting, ain't it? Says a lot.

This isn't a decision about next year, it's a decision about the next 5 years. They made it very clear at that PC that they aren't going to be sentimental and they aren't look short term like they did after the 2001 SB.

This move is about creating Cap space so that they can strengthen the team for the long term. As much as we all love Boldin and don't want to see him go, they obviously feel that they need that Cap space to be able to sign/re-sign other players that are going to be here for the long term, not a WR that has a year or two left.

All that said, hopefully, they can come to a number that allows them to do both.
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Well, this Sucks... Saturday ruined
    "Flacco will never win a Super Bowl in my lifetime" - Lamarr Woodley, Squealers LB<-- what Flacco stares at before every game