Page 4 of 58 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Boldin

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMadness View Post
    I was okay with Heap going... DMase was a sentimental favorite somewhat like Q...

Doss isnt ready and LaQuan & D.Reed cant replace Q..... we roll with Smith and future DWTS champ JJ?
    Let's not forget Pitta could be gone too..

I trust Ozzie, but I also panic a bit
    Fans were panicking back then, too. Very few had confidence that Torrey Smith, Denis Pitta, and Ed Dickson could replace Mason's and Heap's production. But the man in the corner office in Owings Mills knows what he's doing.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Have folks forgotten about Heap or Mason?

This isn't a personal decision. It's a business one, one that has always kept this team in the playoff hunt.

I'd hate to see him go just as much as everyone, but its a huge cap number and I'd hate more we hold on to big contracts for sentimental reasons rather than doing what's best for the team as a whole.

Lets wait and see how this plays out.
    Perfectly reasonable and most likely Ozzie's goal.

It's all about the cap, not past accomplishments at this point.

Shitty position for sure but its decisions like this that separates the good franchises from the bad.
    Teams that pay players on past performance are not in the playoffs every year.

Asking him to restructure is perfectly reasonable at this point.
    So no need to panic just yet basically.
    HoustonRaven is spot on.

Keep in mind the Ravens do have cap space so this move won't be a desperation move to clear up space but a move to get more which makes me think we may make a move on another teams FA or 2. If we cut leach as well that opens up another 3. Elerbie's deal wont be a big hit at all nor would a potential deal with Reed.

I think this is about getting younger and signing another teams FA or 2.

BTW- Kruger and williams are gone this space is not for them. We drafted Upshaw for a reason and have depth at CB.

Don't.
    Panic.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    Gotta make room for Jake Long. ;-)

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    They're 12 something under the cap already, and whatever deal they work out with Ellerbe I doubt will cost more than $5 mil towards 2013's cap, so you have to wonder what sorts of plans Ozzie has with all that cabbage.
    "A lot" is a two word expression denoting a great deal or greatly, as in "I like sunshine a lot." "Alot" is a lovable imaginary grammar monster. You can love a lot; you can love an alot; you can love alots a lot; but they are not the same thing.

Another thing to keep in mind, we did not assign RFA tenders yet in the past that would have been done days ago. I think there are some big plans in the works. Also, remember we have quite a few extra draft picks as well that can be traded as we will get 4 Comp picks most likley one in each of the 3rd and 4th rounds.

Quote Originally Posted by RavenMadness View Post
    I was okay with Heap going... DMase was a sentimental favorite somewhat like Q...

Doss isnt ready and LaQuan & D.Reed cant replace Q..... we roll with Smith and future DWTS champ JJ?
    Let's not forget Pitta could be gone too..

I trust Ozzie, but I also panic a bit
    There is absolutely no chance Pitta is on another team next year. Slow your roll with the sky is falling stuff.

Would love to keep Q, but maybe this leads to Tavon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miz89 View Post
    Why would you cut him to do that? We'd have to move up in the draft to get Tavon
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Miz89 View Post
    There is absolutely no chance Pitta is on another team next year. Slow your roll with the sky is falling stuff.

More like DeAndre Hopkins IMHO.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post

Yes please.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Back in December, when the team was stumbling and Boldin's numbers weren't all that, his "cap casualty" status was a given.

The thought then was they'd either release him or do a 3 year deal to make cap space. I think even then when we were discussing that option, the question was whether he would age like Mason and stay productive till he's 35, or whether this was it. Nobody really had a strong lean one way or another, as I recall the discussion.

Boldin's playoff performance, as great as it was, cannot change the mathematics of this situation, though it might incline us to think he's got a couple more quality years left in him. We've known all along this is what it would come to; it's just harder now that (a) the day has actually arrived, and (b) Boldin turned into Superman during the playoffs.

I think it'll all depend on whether Q was the perfect fit for Caldwell's offense going forward, or whether Caldwell just found better was to use him than Cam did (shocker) despite his perhaps not being exactly what Caldwell would prefer. If Caldwell wants him, we'll figure out a way. Q knows what the market is for him, and the Ravens can certainly structure a contract that reflects that, if that's what they want.

Release and re-sign is also a strong possibility, so I wouldn't take a release as meaning the end of anything either.

Quote Originally Posted by Iscull View Post
    That's an awful funny way of spelling 'Chad Bumphis'.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Could this be Caldwell saying he would rather have x player in the draft or y player in free agency to play the role of Q in the offense? Maybe he values a different skillset more than Q's. I know when he was in Indy they seemed to have quicker guys in the slot so maybe he wants a guy like Tavon or Swope.