Page 23 of 46 FirstFirst ... 1319202122232425262733 ... LastLast

Re: Boldin News (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Van Cleef View Post
    It's comical really. Since Flacco came into the league people have been saying he walked into a perfect situation where he didn't have to do anything. You don't really hear that when people talk about Kaep.
    That is indeed a conundrum. I wonder how many Superbowls Flacco would have to win for that to change. I would think like 4 or 5.

Blog Entries

Savage also sucked in Cleveland. He's now with the Eagles and we all see how well they've drafted since he's been there. The results are the results and for Savage they've been poor
    He Who Dares.....Wins

And what has Savage done since he left the Ravens?
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Blog Entries
    Isn't savage calling college games?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The sum of the parts arguments never work. Any truly successful organization is always greater than the sum of its parts. Supposedly irreplaceable coaches, players, front office personnel, have all come and gone, but the Ravens continue to be successful.
    “Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.”

–Eleanor Roosevelt

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    Savage also sucked in Cleveland. He's now with the Eagles and we all see how well they've drafted since he's been there. The results are the results and for Savage they've been poor
    Well, didn't he sucker Ozzie out of a 6th round draft choice to switch spots (2006)? We took a guy named Ngata. So Savage is obviously the smarter of the two ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    Sorry, I don't buy the Oz mystique. Yes, he has been competent, but let's remember that Phil Savage is the brain power behind the Ravens draft. Oz is the same guy who pulled the trigger on the worst deal in Ravens history: giving up large salary and a draft pick for the washed-up Steve McNair, who barely made it through one season, then crashed and burned (or should I say stumbled around). 2012 was a great success, but also remember 2004, 2005, 2007.
    What is this? 2006? Mike, is that you?

BTW, had McNair and Heap held onto the football in the playoff game in 2006, I think it is very likely that SB47 would have been championship #3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    And what has Savage done since he left the Ravens?
    One wonders if the team didn't $ta$h $ome $eriou$ ca$h in the Cayman$ when $avage left for Cleveland while telling him, Fuck up the Browns for the next 10 years & it's all yours. It's as good an explanation as any...

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    One wonders if the team didn't $ta$h $ome $eriou$ ca$h in the Cayman$ when $avage left for Cleveland while telling him, Fuck up the Browns for the next 10 years & it's all yours. It's as good an explanation as any...
    To be fair to Savage, a GM is only as good as his owner above him and the coaches below him. Of course, Savage should have known that going to the Browns.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Its funny how national perception is usually wrong too.
    National perception is usually whatever the media wants it to be. It is in this country, anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    National perception is usually whatever the media wants it to be. It is in this country, anyway.
    In most countries.
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

-Arnold Schwarzenegger

Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post

Sorry, I don't buy the Oz mystique. Yes, he has been competent, but let's remember that Phil Savage is the brain power behind the Ravens draft. Oz is the same guy who pulled the trigger on the worst deal in Ravens history: giving up large salary and a draft pick for the washed-up Steve McNair, who barely made it through one season, then crashed and burned (or should I say stumbled around). 2012 was a great success, but also remember 2004, 2005, 2007.

Since Boldin arrived, he has been a significant component of our team's success. What FA's are out there that have Boldin's ability and can be had for less $$ than Boldin? And, oh-by-the-way, Oz has a bad overall record of drafting WRs. Doss looks to be a mistake, certainly nowhere near Boldin: Doss has demonstrated that he can't catch in critical end zone situations. We have just journeymen special teamers below Doss.
    Phil Savage? The guy who pushed Ozzie to us to trade away our future #1 pick for Kyle Boller (he was the guy really pushing for that trade and for Boller...it's in Fienstiens book.) He also did it again in Cleveland when he traded for Brady Quinn. AND he was going to pick Kam Wimbley over Ngata. Savage made ONE good pick in Cleveland...a no brainer in Joe Thomas. While I like Savage, the guy has not done anything at all since leaving Baltimore and IMHO heavily contributed to our mediocrity during that 2004-2005 and 2007 season by convicincing Ozzie to trade away very important picks in order to draft freaking Kyle Boller.

Ozzie isn't perfect, but this team has had a VERY good run of being one of the top 5 or so teams in this league since 2000...and the only team to have this type of run with mostly bad QB play.

As for Boldin, I do agree that this is a dumb move IMHO. I get the cap stuff, and if most other avenues to clear cap space are made and we still need it, I would understand this.

But keeping Leach over Boldin makes so little common sense...it's really the first time I can remember us doing something that I couldn't really logically put my mind around. I understood the Heap/Mason releases...along with just about every other big unpopular move we've made.

But it makes 0 sense to completely hand over the keys to a QB...in a way, you are basically committing to giving him PASSING weapons by giving him that money. You don't keep a one dimensional FB who plays 40% of your snaps and making $5 million over your big game WR who is your QB's security blanket. Both are over 30, so I don't think the age thing is a valid argument over the 2.

Hell, I think keeping JJ over him is incredibly stupid and I'm a HUGE Jacoby fan.

I just personally feel that the team didn't and isn't really pursuing logical avenues here...look at other players and why not offer a short extension...you can't tell me you didn't watch the playoffs last year and came away thinking Q doesn't have another 2-3 years in him.

Hell, we gave old ass Matt Birk a 2-3 year deal even though we knew it would only be a 1 year deal...why not do the same with Q?
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Well....Flacco has chimed in and said Boldin should "stick to his guns". Its over on pft. I would link it but don't know how to from my phone.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Well....Flacco has chimed in and said Boldin should "stick to his guns". Its over on pft. I would link it but don't know how to from my phone.
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...k-to-his-guns/
    ... Bc

Blog Entries

Thanks BC. You da man.