Page 23 of 58 FirstFirst ... 2122232425 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I agree but times have changed. The name of the game now is getting as many weapons around Joe Flacco as you can.
    Tavon Austin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Re: Boldin News (Merged)

Quote Originally Posted by StingerNLG View Post
    And he also drafted Travis Taylor, Clarence Moore, Randy Hymes, Mark Clayton, and brought in guys like Frank Sanders and Ron Johnson to be our top receivers.

Ozzie swings and misses way more than he hits with WR's. Track record is not good until recently.

Sent from my Xoom using Tapatalk 2
    But atrocious?

Some peoples expectations are way too high, he hits on just about nearly every other position.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post

His track record isn't great, but to say that its atrocious is a garbage comment IMO. Ozzie was the guy who bought in the likes of Mason, Ismail, Boldin, Stockley, etc. Yeah he hasn't drafted an elite athletic freak like Calvin Johnson, but not many GMs have been able to do that. Quite frankly, the Ravens have never been in the position to get one.
    You have to pick in the top of the draft to have a shot at a Calvin Johnson.

However, that isnt really the point. There are guys all over the draft board that wind up being good pro receivers, but the Ravens have drafted guys like Devard Darling, Demetrius Williams, Marcus Smith, Yamon Figurs, etc.

WR - IMO - is arguably the hardest position to scout for because it is the easiest position for collegiate players with outstanding athleticism to look like all-pros.

It isnt like Ozzie has completely avoided drafting them either. For whatever reason, the Ravens have just not had much luck with drafting and developing their own receivers. Thus why the Derrick Masons and Anquan Boldins were necessary. The problem with going after other team's successful receivers is that it can be expensive. I mean, they are talking about Mike Wallace possibly getting a contract similar to Vincent Jackson!

Hopefully Flacco and Caldwell will improve the development of younger receivers.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Tavon Austin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I know you and Ex seem to be sure he's coming to Bmore, but he isn't man. If Kendall Wright went 20th overall last season, I'm pretty sure Tavon Austin (who IMO is a better prospect than Wright was last year) can match that or even go higher.

Look for the likes of DeAndre Hopkins at 32 if we end up cutting Boldin.

Blog Entries

But atrocious?

Some peoples expectations are way too high, he hits on just about nearly every other position.
    I was just talking about WR. One of the other threads I was saying how I have blind faith in their ability to evaluate and develop LB and RB.

Blog Entries

I know you and Ex seem to be sure he's coming to Bmore, but he isn't man. If Kendall Wright went 20th overall last season, I'm pretty sure Tavon Austin (who IMO is a better prospect than Wright was last year) can match that or even go higher.

Look for the likes of DeAndre Hopkins at 32 if we end up cutting Boldin.
    I dont know where Austin is going to go. Whoever takes him already has a specific role they want him to fill. His size is really going to give teams pause during the draft though.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    You have to pick in the top of the draft to have a shot at a Calvin Johnson.

However, that isnt really the point. There are guys all over the draft board that wind up being good pro receivers, but the Ravens have drafted guys like Devard Darling, Demetrius Williams, Marcus Smith, Yamon Figurs, etc.

WR - IMO - is arguably the hardest position to scout for because it is the easiest position for collegiate players with outstanding athleticism to look like all-pros.

It isnt like Ozzie has completely avoided drafting them either. For whatever reason, the Ravens have just not had much luck with drafting and developing their own receivers. Thus why the Derrick Masons and Anquan Boldins were necessary. The problem with going after other team's successful receivers is that it can be expensive. I mean, they are talking about Mike Wallace possibly getting a contract similar to Vincent Jackson!

Hopefully Flacco and Caldwell will improve the development of younger receivers.

I'm not disputing that his track record of bringing in WRs is good at all, but to say its atrocious is a total exaggeration.

but to say it's an atrocious record is silly.
    wr's ravens have drafted:

96- jermaine lewis(5th), james roe(6th)
    98- patrick johnson(2nd)
    99- brandon stokley(4th)
    00- travis taylor(1st)
    02- ron johnson(4th), javin hunter(6th)
    04- devard darling(3rd), clarence moore(6th), derek abney(7th)
    05- mark clayton(1st)
    06- demetrius williams(4th)
    07- yamon figurs(3rd)
    08- marcus smith(4th), justin harper(7th)
    10- david reed(5th)
    11- torrey smith(2nd), tandon doss(4th)
    12- tommy streeter(6th)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I was just talking about WR. One of the other threads I was saying how I have blind faith in their ability to evaluate and develop LB and RB.
    Ozzie drafts well in pretty much every position, and you can now add QB to that list too.

I can't name one position apart from WR where we haven't drafted multiple pro bowlers at.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt CouchPotato View Post
    since 96

wr's we've drafted:

96- jermaine lewis(5th), james roe(6th)
    98- patrick johnson(2nd)
    99- brandon stokely(4th)
    00- travis taylor(1st)
    02- ron johnson(4th), javin hunter(6th)
    04- devard darling(3rd), clarence moore(6th), derek abney(7th)
    05- mark clayton(1st)
    06- demetrius williams(4th)
    07- yamon figurs(3rd)
    08- marcus smith(4th), justin harper(7th)
    10- david reed(5th)
    11- torrey smith(2nd), tandon doss(4th)
    12- tommy streeter(6th)
    Yup. Atrocious. LOL

Blog Entries

Ozzie drafts well in pretty much every position, and you can now add QB to that list too.

I can't name one position apart from WR where we haven't drafted multiple pro bowlers at.
    I hear you man. But WR is what we are talking about.

Blog Entries

Is Kevin Colberts track record much better drafting WRs? I just don't think those early 2000 great defensive teams really needed receivers.