Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What does the Boldin trade mean for the WR's in the Draft?

Should the Ravens now move up to take a WR or stay where they are and take one with one of their now 8 picks??

I say they take one in the 5th round that will be a perfect fit: http://www.rantsports.com/nfl/2013/0...ek-1-7-rounds/

What says you?

Re: What does the Boldin trade mean for the WR's in the Draft?

Nah we're gonna do it the ol' Newsome way: spend what we can shoring up what Biscotti stated as important, i.e. middle of the defense and perhaps use some later picks like you suggest on a WR or two but I would be shocked if we moved up for a wideout unless the Ravens are really in love with one of them. This isn't to say I would mind if they did but rather that I fully expect us to go with who we've got currently and add a couple late guys as opposed to movin' on up.

No. We are not Atlanta. We need to refuel the middle of the defense. We will select a wide receiver, but we won't mortgage future picks to do so. Ozzie>Dimitrioff

Means we start a petition to get the trade vetoed

Blog Entries

At some point you have to roll the dice with the guys on the roster. If you believed in them enough to draft them & keep them, you have to have faith that one (or more) of them is going to step up. Trading Boldin (which FTR I hate, man was is & will be money) at least offers another opening for guys like Doss, LaQuan, Deonte, Streeter, maybe even DReed to show what they've got.

We have a lot of holes and only so much money. We won't be pushing the shopping cart at Tiffany's, we'll be bargain shopping at Walmart. The team already has enough huge salaries with Flacco, Ngata, Suggs, Webb, Yanda and Rice. Maybe we can get one FA of value, but no huge salary. Ozzie will earn his money this year.

The Ravens wil draft a WR if that WR is deemed a good value. Same as always...

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    The Ravens wil draft a WR if that WR is deemed a good value. Same as always...
    :word

Besides its way to early to speculate. Does Ellerbe get resigned...do they address LT or DT in Free Agency.... these are all things that have to be addressed in addition to WR.

The Ravens have in house options Thompson, Streeter, Doss to fill the slot role. They do not have to reach for one. That said if Austin is sitting there 32 I would not be shocked if they went that route. My happy scenario is this....think its doable with the cap space we have.

Jake Long LT
    Ellerbe MLB
    Pitta - Extension
    Ricky Jean Francois - DT
    Elam - Draft
    Hopkins/Hunter/Austin or some other WR draft.

That would not be a bad offseason
    “A linebacker's job is to knock out running backs, to knock out receivers, to chase the football,”
    -Ray Lewis

I can envision a scenario where Robert Woods (WR, USC) falls to the end of the 2nd round, as teams get a little uneasy about his ankle problem. The Ravens will take him at #62 in a steal, giving them two 2nd round WR bookends for Flacco (Torrey Smith was also a 2nd rounder who seemed to drop from what a lot of draft guys thought).

I'm VERY high on Woods. I have said from the beginning if he falls to us in the 1st, I would consider taking him

I actually like the Robert Woods idea a lot. He can give us what Boldin did in time.

Selfishly I hope that they find a way to select Tavon Austin but only because I've been watching him since his freshman year of high school.

Quote Originally Posted by alien bird View Post
    I can envision a scenario where Robert Woods (WR, USC) falls to the end of the 2nd round, as teams get a little uneasy about his ankle problem. The Ravens will take him at #62 in a steal, giving them two 2nd round WR bookends for Flacco (Torrey Smith was also a 2nd rounder who seemed to drop from what a lot of draft guys thought).
    USC WR's scare me.