Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    Im not sure they sign any of them really. I think Reed is the most retainable, followed by McKinnie, then Ellerbe. I hope Ellerbe signs a fair deal, but hes got the most value out of those 3 for sure. Reed going to have 3-4 suitors (NE, NO, Indy, & Us). Im not sure hes as high on our list of must have's as he will be on theirs.
    It will come down to as you said, whether or not a team will offer him crazy money. I hope that doesn't happen, but there are some stupid organizations out there.

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think they'll get Ellerbe under wraps.

Then they'll go out and sign Mike Wallace, Greg Jennings, Jake Long, Sebastian Vollmer, all while being able to keep Kruger and Ed Reed.

...in all seriousness, I don't know if the Ravens will target anyone in free agency. I think they'll wait until all of the big "wow" deals blow over. I think they'll make an effort to keep Ellerbe and then kind of sit back and watch.
    Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    like they always do. keep their key FAs and wait for the dust to settle and make some under the radar signings that pay big dividends. This years a little different because they cant go after all their Key FAs but ellerbe is the last one that they will. I dont see much else happening myself. I dont think McKinnie is a priority although theyll be following him. Otherwise Id say Reed gets some attention from them but theyll let him test the market and come back with his best offer before making theirs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dade View Post
    Oz never makes a big splash in FA. He'll try and retain as many players as possible, reload through the draft and try and find nuggets in FA that others overlooked.
    Agreed. I think they possibly resign Ellerbe, and then lay in the weeds for the value FA's. It's their SOP. And honestly, if someone wants to overpay Ellerbe, I think they'll let him go, and I'd agree with it. At the end of the day, he's had one partial season of high level play. He's a guy that has had attitude/work ethic issues in the past, and has also missed a fair amount of games due to injury. I don't dispute the thinking that he was one of our best defenders for most of last year, especially from Dec-Feb. And I want him back. But I think there are enough possible issues there to justify not overpaying him.

Fans will have to realize, this is a defense (and a team really) in transition. The SB win was a great gift for all of us from a team who was facing relatively major changes on defense. I still expect them to contend for the division/playoffs, but if they were to win or even get to the SB this year, I'd be very surprised, even more surprised than I was last year.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Idk about you, but I can see the Ravens re-signing all three of those guys eventually, they can make it happen by extending Boldin, cutting Leach, Williams, and Jameel.

Best case scenario IMO, they get Ellerbe signed before the deadline, they let Reed and McKinnie test the market, then find out that they weren't offered all that much, and the Ravens are able to keep them. That's what I'm hoping for anyway.
    I expect Kruger, Leach, McKinnie, and quite possibly Ellerbe and Reed to all be playing elsewhere next season. We'll see.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It will come down to as you said, whether or not a team will offer him crazy money. I hope that doesn't happen, but there are some stupid organizations out there.
    The one thing we have going for us is that there are a large amount of FA's out there. I don't see Reed or McKinnie being signed anytime soon right after FA starts.

Blog Entries

Not going to doubt the front office -- but if you don't want him to test the market, you don't make him an offer 12 hours before he can legally see what other teams are willing to offer him. If you are Ellerbe, why wouldn't you wait the 12 hours and see what other teams might offer? You've waited this long. For us to have had a shot to keep him off the open market, we needed to sign him earlier this week. He will now test the market. I don't think that's a good thing for us -- but I could be wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by houstonravensfan View Post
    It is quite possible we start next season without Ray, Jameel, Kruger, and Ellerbe.

That is a scary thought.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfish View Post
    All defensive players; and don't forget Reed and Williams. I find it amazing reading a lot of posts wanting to target offensive players where we return just about everyone and they played well last year. Get a LT on offense and retool the defense.

Which doesn't mean that people won't constantly pop in here and scream for Dean Pees' head on a platter.

Oh...and add an oft gimpy Ngata, possibly shaky Suggs, and possibly shaky Webb to the mix as well.
    2013 may be quite the challenge.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Formerly Carpetbaggerville (IND) --now back in MD
    Blog Entries

I really hope they get this guy done. For me everything starts with locking him up and then let the rest of the chips fall where ever.

But I can't get a gauge on what his market is looking like right now. Either he could slide under the radar and we get him at a cap friendly rate or someone will blow everyone else out of the water with an insane offer and he's gone. I don't see any in between. But obviously we hope its the former.

Blog Entries
    @RavensInsider: Dannell Ellerbe's agent says he doesn't anticipate deal with Ravens before midnight: 'Starting Saturday, we'll be talking to all 32 teams.'

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So if Ellerbe leaves the nest, who's next up for negotiations? Ed?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Which doesn't mean that people won't constantly pop in here and scream for Dean Pees' head on a platter.

Oh...and add an oft gimpy Ngata, possibly shaky Suggs, and possibly shaky Webb to the mix as well.
    2013 may be quite the challenge.
    Adding to what you pointing out McClain is coming off a serious spinal cord injury. The run defense used to be the cornerstone of the team for over a decade, now it's the weakest component of the team. It's certain to expect it will get worse next year with many departing starters and there aren't players on the current roster ready to step in. Fortunately the Colts, Denver and New England were not strong running teams in the playoffs and getting up on the 49ers in the first half of the Super Bowl helped. Nevertheless, the 49ers ran for 182 yards, most of that was in the 2nd half. When Ngata went out, they had their way on the ground.

Blog Entries

Well, on the bright side...

We should get some nice comp picks.

But I'm thinking Joe is the only UFA who ends up resigning with us. Sounds like Ellerbe and Kruger and Williams will get big money elsewhere and Reed, who knows.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    Well, on the bright side...

We should get some nice comp picks.

But I'm thinking Joe is the only UFA who ends up resigning with us. Sounds like Ellerbe and Kruger and Williams will get big money elsewhere and Reed, who knows.
    Looking more likely by the day all of them are gone. Oh we'll more comp picks like you said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk