Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    I wouldn't overpay them either, but to say they're not big losses in naive. All three were pieces of our Super Bowl puzzle, and performed well in 2012... Bc
    Agree. We don't have to kick everyone in the ass on their way out the door. Next man up.

Let me say first that I really hope that Ozzie and Ellerbe's representation are able to come to a reasonable agreement. I like Ellerbe as a player...but with his injury history, I can't give him a top-tier contract.

Having said that, the guy that I would like to see Baltimore sign (whether Ellerbe is retained or not) is Brad Jones from Green Bay.

He started the season as a backup / special teams player, and was forced into the lineup by injury...then proceeded to play better than the two injured guys. Jones is a well-rounded player. He's a very good coverage LB, and also decent against the run. He has experience in the 34 Defense, and has also played OLB.

Jones is rated as the #2 Free Agent LB by ProFootballFocus (Ellerbe is 6th), and was rated during the season as the 3rd best "replacement" player in the entire league...meaning he stepped into the job when someone else went down.

The Packers are strong at ILB (even without Jones) so it is a distinct possibility that they don't make a significant push to re-sign him. The fact that he's only started 11 games will likely keep the money he can expect in check.

If we can come up with a strong, but fair, deal for Ellerbe, offer Jones an identical contract.

I like McClain, but we can save a little cash by cutting him, and there is simply no predicting neck / spinal injuries.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Let me say first that I really hope that Ozzie and Ellerbe's representation are able to come to a reasonable agreement. I like Ellerbe as a player...but with his injury history, I can't give him a top-tier contract.

Having said that, the guy that I would like to see Baltimore sign (whether Ellerbe is retained or not) is Brad Jones from Green Bay.

He started the season as a backup / special teams player, and was forced into the lineup by injury...then proceeded to play better than the two injured guys. Jones is a well-rounded player. He's a very good coverage LB, and also decent against the run. He has experience in the 34 Defense, and has also played OLB.

Jones is rated as the #2 Free Agent LB by ProFootballFocus (Ellerbe is 6th), and was rated during the season as the 3rd best "replacement" player in the entire league...meaning he stepped into the job when someone else went down.

The Packers are strong at ILB (even without Jones) so it is a distinct possibility that they don't make a significant push to re-sign him. The fact that he's only started 11 games will likely keep the money he can expect in check.

If we can come up with a strong, but fair, deal for Ellerbe, offer Jones an identical contract.

I like McClain, but we can save a little cash by cutting him, and there is simply no predicting neck / spinal injuries.
    He's a RFA and I'm sure he will be tendered, if its a second, question becomes is he worth a second

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    He's a RFA and I'm sure he will be tendered, if its a second, question becomes is he worth a second
    Jones is an Unrestricted Free Agent.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie_uk View Post
    He could be ready to play day 1. Not likely we find that in the draft.

Blog Entries

Have the ravens ever gone after another teams RFA?

Don't forget you gotta pay the player plus lose a high draft pick, which is where we usually get a lot of bang for the buck. Only thing I'd be willing to give up draft picks for is a good LT.

Jones is not Restricted.

Blog Entries

Maybe he is a guy that Ozzie is looking at. Whichever direction they go, I'm cool with it. I have 100% faith in Oz and Eric when it comes to LB and RB. I wouldn't even mind McClellan and a rookie in the middle this year if they beef up the D-line.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Have the ravens ever gone after another teams RFA?

Don't forget you gotta pay the player plus lose a high draft pick, which is where we usually get a lot of bang for the buck. Only thing I'd be willing to give up draft picks for is a good LT.
    I remember the Ravens matching a contract for Chester Taylor who the Browns signed as a RFA. I don't remember the Ravens ever going after another teams RFA.

If the Packers give Jones a starters contract, then they will probably have to release A.J. Hawk. There's going to be someone out there we can get.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor View Post
    Jones is not Restricted.
    you sure?, he's only in the league four years. Your not Ufa until five years under the old cba I thought

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    I remember the Ravens matching a contract for Chester Taylor who the Browns signed as a RFA. I don't remember the Ravens ever going after another teams RFA.
    Yea its definitely not in their bag of tricks. There is nothing more valuable to Oz than his draft picks. Especially the high ones. After Boller he has said he will never trade a first again. To trade a 2nd would be a rare Boldin type trade. Though I dont think they even gave a 2nd for him. I think it was a 3rd and 4th.