Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

Yeah, I see the recent twitter rumblings of Ellerbe's agent fully trying to max out his earnings. It's well within his right to do so and his agent to make sure that he makes as much as he can when his earning potential is at his highest.

Enter in a new era of Raven's football with the next crop of stars in the making. As long as you have a nucleus of good to great players and a top notch front office, these things will happen. The team will continue to find talent and when you look at it, the ILBers from this yr minus Ray Lewis were all undrafted anyways (McClain, Ellerbe, and Josh Bynes). So imagine a yr we actually need to draft a guy and possibly get more undrafted FAs at the position.

I'm at peace with whatever transpires.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    For all the bashing of guys like Kruger for "wanting to cash in," Ellerbe and his agent REALLY sound like they have no loyalty whatsoever to the Ravens (not that they should, just pointing it out.)

I'm not trying to read too much into it but based on this last statement and others Ellerbe has made recently I almost wonder if he would prefer to NOT be back.
    I seen Ellerbe on NFLN the other night saying he's not looking forward to hitting FA. Says he wants to stay a Ravens, lets wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    To add to Paintballguy's comments, the devaluation of the ILB positions, lends itself to value in FA. There will be guys to be had for low prices.
    Exactly. The Ravens will fill holes with value priced FA's and draft pics. I think most of the guys on the team aren't starter material. Guys like Bynes, McClellan etc are depth/ST players.
    Never get in a fight with a pig; you both get muddy, and the pig likes it...

I second the notion that ILBs will be available in free agency for minimal prices. They may not have Ellerbe's youth and quality, but we can get someone to plug in there for next season who won't embarrass us. Ultimately, we'll need to look to the draft to restock there, and all over the defense. Let's all be thankful that the Lewis-led Ravens defense held together just long enough to win us a second title; now it's time for a new era, and it might ultimately include NONE of the names we've become familiar with over the past few years. The three premium guys left (Suggs, Ngata, and Webb) all have injury concerns... Ed Reed falls in the same boat, if he's retained. We're going to have to make some new superstars.

Blog Entries

Rolando McClain is the guy I now want in FA. Maybe by not getting Ellerbe, we will have a better shot at keeping Reed, and McKinnie.

Quote Originally Posted by esmd View Post
    Exactly. The Ravens will fill holes with value priced FA's and draft pics. I think most of the guys on the team aren't starter material. Guys like Bynes, McClellan etc are depth/ST players.
    I think McClellan and Bynes are better than depth but not quite guys you would feel great about starting or playing heavy snaps next year, there somewhere in the middle. McClellan should be the primary edge setting backup to Suggs and Upshaw on run downs and can play inside. Depending on what happens at ILB Bynes could be the primary backup at ILB. I think we can all agree we'd rather see them on ST because it would mean more talented players are in front of them but im actually pretty comfortable with both. Bynes i think has some upside, if you look at that Washington game compared to the next game he played significant snaps it was like night and day almost, he showed some things.

Losing Ellerbe would be tough. Right price for Oz to keep him. He should and will test the market. Someone will overpay for sure for him. He was a Raven, everyone hates the Ravens but quick to puck ours players. Hope he comes back, but if not, thanks bro!
    I'm thinking if he walks, if we beef up the front, McClellan can play middle with a rookie or cheaper wiser vet. I'm sure Ozzie has a better plan, sit back and embrace the grind(Yanda training camp message last year, Awesome) of march madness.
    We will be fine, the Baltimore Ravens are a top flight Organization!! Purple Pride

I thought McClellan looked pretty good the times he's filled in at ILB. I like the idea of Rolando McClain too, if he can keep his act together. Guy has talent for sure. I'm sure Oz has a plan, and a few back up plans as well.

I just don't think none of those guys are worth paying market or overpaying to keep. I honestly view none of Ellerbe Kruger and Cary as big losses. I just don't.

Id rather sign Rolando or draft guys to compete with Niigel Carr and Josh Bynes.

Blog Entries

I'm just afraid Ellerbe will lose his motivation once he gets paid. His work ethic has been an issue in the past. I'd rather see them keep Reed and Mckinnie. Find a LB in the draft.

If we know anything about this FO, it is that they can evaluate the shit out of LB and RB.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bazooka Joe View Post
    I just don't think none of those guys are worth paying market or overpaying to keep. I honestly view none of Ellerbe Kruger and Cary as big losses. I just don't.
    I wouldn't overpay them either, but to say they're not big losses is naive. All three were pieces of our Super Bowl puzzle, and performed well in 2012... Bc
    Last edited by BcRaven; 03-08-2013 at 07:03 PM. Reason: spelling