Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567
Results 91 to 99 of 99
  1. #91
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,288
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer



    Quote Originally Posted by Lime in the Coconut View Post
    I'd like to keep Ellerbe, but of course, not for a load of money. I believe he has upside, but his injuries concern me a bit. I like both McClellan and Bynes actually. I think if Ellerbe isn't re-signed, a vet or rookie will come in and compete with the players we have. The thing that's interesting to me is that if all these guys don't come back, what do we do in FA with $12 million free (could be more if they make more cuts)?

    One glaring need on defense is at NT. We need to really get a dominant run stuffing player at that spot.
    I agree. I'm not sure all this "we're going hard after Ellerbe" talk isn't a smokescreen/PR move. The fans don't want to hear we're gutting our ILB corps (everybody freaking out already with Ray leaving, and thinking we'd need to replace two starters at ILB).

    In fact, all our ILB's last year EXCEPT RAY were UDFA's (McClain, McClellan, Ellerbe, Bynes, Ayenbadejo). The Ravens do NOT place a high value on ILB's and I believe with the DL depth in the draft and in FA, they believe they can improve the LB corps by beefing up the D Line.

    So while we may re-sign Ellerbe, I see this as another Adalius Thomas / Bart Scott / Ed Hartwell scenario. Ellerbe is great for us and I'd love to have him back, but the fact is, he'll almost surely get paid like a superstar somewhere else. Some teams never learn, and telling your fans you're "bringing some of that Ravens defense swagger" on board is always an easy sell. People actually buy it. Over and over and over and over. How many Defensive Coordinators did we turn into head coaches? How many free agents have left the team, gotten overpaid, and sucked into oblivion?

    Why would Ellerbe be any different? Adalius Thomas was IMHO the best of the bunch, and even he didn't do crap when he left. I don't know. I could easily see the Ravens "make a run" at Ellerbe but secretly be glad to let him be somebody else's cap-space filling contract.




  2. #92
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,855
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NC Raven View Post

    I agree. I'm not sure all this "we're going hard after Ellerbe" talk isn't a smokescreen/PR move. The fans don't want to hear we're gutting our ILB corps (everybody freaking out already with Ray leaving, and thinking we'd need to replace two starters at ILB).

    In fact, all our ILB's last year EXCEPT RAY were UDFA's (McClain, McClellan, Ellerbe, Bynes, Ayenbadejo). The Ravens do NOT place a high value on ILB's and I believe with the DL depth in the draft and in FA, they believe they can improve the LB corps by beefing up the D Line.

    So while we may re-sign Ellerbe, I see this as another Adalius Thomas / Bart Scott / Ed Hartwell scenario. Ellerbe is great for us and I'd love to have him back, but the fact is, he'll almost surely get paid like a superstar somewhere else. Some teams never learn, and telling your fans you're "bringing some of that Ravens defense swagger" on board is always an easy sell. People actually buy it. Over and over and over and over. How many Defensive Coordinators did we turn into head coaches? How many free agents have left the team, gotten overpaid, and sucked into oblivion?

    Why would Ellerbe be any different? Adalius Thomas was IMHO the best of the bunch, and even he didn't do crap when he left. I don't know. I could easily see the Ravens "make a run" at Ellerbe but secretly be glad to let him be somebody else's cap-space filling contract.
    Interesting perspective.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  3. #93
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,099
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

    that's all fine and good, but you can't tell me Ozzie isn't having some near panic attacks over the thought of a LB corps where Ray is gone, Ellerbe is gone, McClain may still be injured (and not great), and your top options are BA, Bynes, and McClellan...

    If Ellerbe signs somewhere else, we're going to HAVE to bring in some sort of vet with starting ability.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  4. #94
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    31,855
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    that's all fine and good, but you can't tell me Ozzie isn't having some near panic attacks over the thought of a LB corps where Ray is gone, Ellerbe is gone, McClain may still be injured (and not great), and your top options are BA, Bynes, and McClellan...

    If Ellerbe signs somewhere else, we're going to HAVE to bring in some sort of vet with starting ability.
    There are some of those in FA.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger



    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  5. #95
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Portland
    Posts
    1,565

    Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    that's all fine and good, but you can't tell me Ozzie isn't having some near panic attacks over the thought of a LB corps where Ray is gone, Ellerbe is gone, McClain may still be injured (and not great), and your top options are BA, Bynes, and McClellan...
    Sure we can. Everything we've seen by Ozzie over the years screams Don't Panic in large friendly letters. You may or may not like certain moves he makes but panic is just not what he does. I can imagine the scenario where we get to the draft with no Ellerbe, no other vet ILB and we don't go ILB in the first couple of rounds. I'd be panicking, we'd all be panicing, but Ozzie won't be.

    Ozzie really does believe in right player, right price.




  6. #96

    Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

    we have the cap space to sign players from other teams as well esp if Leach is cut and Boldin plus BA. Plus bobbie williams was cut and I would not be surprised if Cody is cut as well to open more space.

    I think some big moves are in the works with the goal of getting younger and better.




  7. #97
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    587

    Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

    Quote Originally Posted by Benny8444 View Post
    we have the cap space to sign players from other teams as well esp if Leach is cut and Boldin plus BA. Plus bobbie williams was cut and I would not be surprised if Cody is cut as well to open more space.
    Doubtful they cut Cody. He's due to earn $630k in base. He won't be re-signed after this season, but I don't see Ozzie cutting a player making barely above league minimum.




  8. #98
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    New York City
    Posts
    8,174
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

    Here's a scenario : The Ravens offered Cary Wms a 3 year, $15 mil. contract before the 2012 season. He turned it down and is very likely to wear another uniform in 2013. Could his unspent $$$ be applied on Ellerbe, and we'd keep the ILB we desperately need? Perhaps life domino theory applies here. Hmmm... Bc




  9. #99
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Wilmington, North Carolina
    Posts
    3,288
    Blog Entries
    3

    Re: Ravens to make Ellerbe an offer

    Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    that's all fine and good, but you can't tell me Ozzie isn't having some near panic attacks over the thought of a LB corps where Ray is gone, Ellerbe is gone, McClain may still be injured (and not great), and your top options are BA, Bynes, and McClellan...

    If Ellerbe signs somewhere else, we're going to HAVE to bring in some sort of vet with starting ability.
    See, I don't think Ozzie IS all that worried. If you had told me in summer 2010 that we'd win the Super Bowl in 2013 with 37 year old Ray Lewis (who I wouldn't have guessed would still be playing) paired with Ellerbe at ILB I'd have said you're nuts.

    I'm not going with the overplayed "next man up" crap here either, because the "next man" isn't necessarily going to be as good as the last man (or he wouldn't be the "next" man). I do understand that we can't let everyone go. But ... can we really sit here right now and say that Bynes/McClellan/rookie/cheap vet is going to be that bad? Especially if we get a real NT in the draft?

    It's all very interesting at this point, but just looking at the Jameel McClain deal -- even THAT is looking like an albatross around our salary-cap-necks (just on performance and value; I don't factor the injury because anyone can be injured). And McClain's deal is nothing compared to what people are talking about with Ellerbe. Do the Ravens really want to sink another... $5-6M a year into that position?

    I don't think they do. I think they wish Ellerbe was still around another year on his old deal, that's what!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland