Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Results 25 to 36 of 61
  1. #25
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    448

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...



    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Ha, the Giants don't even live/play in NY.

    Not to turn this into a political debate, but I've just found that the states advertised as being "tax friendly" gouge you in other ways. Delaware comes to mind. No state sales tax but every road seems to have a toll. As for Maryland, I'm not a fan of high taxes like anyone else, but if it can do things like help improve the quality of our roads compared to our neighboring states, it can't be all bad. Look at the condition of the pavement on 83 as soon as you cross the PA line compared to how it looks in MD.
    The corporate taxes are pretty high in Maryland too. Maryland is just a left-wing state where the government wants their hands in every aspect of life. They probably won't get the message by all of the corporations leavings because it always has government jobs.




  2. #26
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,958

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by Losac View Post
    Ha, the Giants don't even live/play in NY.

    Not to turn this into a political debate, but I've just found that the states advertised as being "tax friendly" gouge you in other ways. Delaware comes to mind. No state sales tax but every road seems to have a toll. As for Maryland, I'm not a fan of high taxes like anyone else, but if it can do things like help improve the quality of our roads compared to our neighboring states, it can't be all bad. Look at the condition of the pavement on 83 as soon as you cross the PA line compared to how it looks in MD.
    I agree that some states are like that where they get you in other ways (FL, TN, etc) but I can say Texas aint one of them.

    Forbes did a study a while back (I can't find it) of total tax burden by state and we were one of the lowest. Here's something that's along those same line ....

    http://taxfoundation.org/article/sta...year-1977-2010
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #27

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Technically, you have to become a resident and there are a series of tests that go into determining if you truly are a resident of you just own property there. Do you vote there? Is your car registered there? Do you have a license in that state? Do you spend more days in that state than in Maryland?

    The state tax officials are onto this sort of thing and it isn't enough just to buy property there. You have to spend at least 183 days out of Maryland and be able to show that you truly are a resident of a different state -- not just a property holder there. If all one had to do was buy property, I think many, many Marylanders would just buy property in Florida, New Hampshire, Nevada, etc. and never set foot there. Sadly, just buying property in and of itself doesn't work to get the Maryland tax man off of your back.

    I fully agree with Mista T on this one...
    I have friends who do not fly into BWI, buy gas & food with cash, avoid toll roads, and otherwise leave no trace of the time they spend in Maryland. They may or may not be skirting the 183 day rule. I have discussed with wife the idea of buying a Delaware condo for a few days per week, stay in Florida for a few weeks in winter, otherwise stay in Maryland for the minimal 180+ days (mostly for Ravens & O's games). Register cars and vote in State income tax-free Florida - it doesn't take a lot to declare Florida as residency to gain its tax advantages. Regretfully, my wife pulls out this feminine logic, that I have never understood, whereby it is more important to be so near the kids & grandkids that she closes her eyes to the financial reality of living in Tax Hell.
    In a 2003 BBC poll that asked Brits to name the "Greatest American Ever", Mr. T came in fourth, behind ML King (3rd), Abe Lincoln (2nd) and Homer Simpson (1st).




  4. #28
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,343

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    I agree that some states are like that where they get you in other ways (FL, TN, etc) but I can say Texas aint one of them.

    Forbes did a study a while back (I can't find it) of total tax burden by state and we were one of the lowest. Here's something that's along those same line ....

    http://taxfoundation.org/article/sta...year-1977-2010
    Here is another one, if anyone is interested.

    http://www.economicfreedom.org/2012/...nomic-freedom/
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  5. #29

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    The corporate taxes are pretty high in Maryland too. Maryland is just a left-wing state where the government wants their hands in every aspect of life. They probably won't get the message by all of the corporations leavings because it always has government jobs.
    I always find it funny when people say we are a left-wing state or a blue state. It is somewhat misleading, but not inaccurate. If you look at the recent presidential election or most state election, you would find more counties are red than blue. The blue ones just have more overall population.




  6. #30
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,958

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I always find it funny when people say we are a left-wing state or a blue state. It is somewhat misleading, but not inaccurate. If you look at the recent presidential election or most state election, you would find more counties are red than blue. The blue ones just have more overall population.
    Right. Thus making it a blue state.

    The left outnumber the right something like 5-1 in MD.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  7. #31

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Right. Thus making it a blue state.

    The left outnumber the right something like 5-1 in MD.
    Yes, but it is not a total picture...

    If you drive west of Maryland, there is nothing blue about those counties...

    I have always tried to tell people that Maryland and Virginia are similar, both have vastly different political cultures if you enter an imaginary line...

    The suggestion that Maryland is a blue state implies that it is evenly distributed throughout the state in a sense, which it is not.




  8. #32

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He has to pay taxes to the state where the money is earned. He then gets a credit for that amount from the state that he is a resident of. Pro athletes actually have to file returnss for every state they play a game in.
    So does that mean his agent gets taxed by every state the players he represents play in? I mean if they get paid a percentage of what their clients make, shouldn't they have the same taxes?




  9. #33
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,383
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by Strange Bru View Post
    So does that mean his agent gets taxed by every state the players he represents play in? I mean if they get paid a percentage of what their clients make, shouldn't they have the same taxes?
    No. An agent can earn the money from his office. He can claim that he meets his clients in various places but the work that he performs is from a particular location. A player is paid for games that take place in specific locations. The only thing a pro athlete can do is decide to play in a state that is tax friendly so at least half his salary is taxed at a more favorable rate. Teams from Texas and Florida have always pushed that when trying to sign free agents.

    I used to work for a public accounting firm that had several MLB players as clients. Their returns were really crazy because you would have to account for every single game as a percent in a particular state. California at the time was talking about making it even worse by wanting to count rainouts differently. I'm glad I got out of there before that happened.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #34
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    448

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by Random Thoughts View Post
    I always find it funny when people say we are a left-wing state or a blue state. It is somewhat misleading, but not inaccurate. If you look at the recent presidential election or most state election, you would find more counties are red than blue. The blue ones just have more overall population.
    Are you serious? Saying that a state is not blue because it has red counties is like saying that the county is not red because it has blue neighborhoods. Where does it end? Just go by the population totals. Even states like New York and MA have a lot of rural land that is very conservative.

    I think that the culprit for MD is the double whammy of Baltimore being a very liberal city, and Southern Maryland being mostly government workers and Lobbyists commuting to DC.




  11. #35
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Perry Hall
    Posts
    2,890

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Are you serious? Saying that a state is not blue because it has red counties is like saying that the county is not red because it has blue neighborhoods. Where does it end? Just go by the population totals. Even states like New York and MA have a lot of rural land that is very conservative.

    I think that the culprit for MD is the double whammy of Baltimore being a very liberal city, and Southern Maryland being mostly government workers and Lobbyists commuting to DC.
    Yeah, it's Baltimore and the DC suburbs (Montgomery and PG counties), which are the most populated areas of the state, that make MD blue. The Eastern Shore and Western MD are red. Although some argue that the Eastern Shore should be its own state anyway.




  12. #36
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    over by the dental floss bush
    Posts
    14,902
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    Here is another one, if anyone is interested.

    http://www.economicfreedom.org/2012/...nomic-freedom/
    Didn't read the fine detail of how they come up with this ranking but it sure seems inaccurate to me.

    Living in TN there is no state tax but I am hit with city tax (don't live in the city) county tax, I pay city school and county school tax but have no kids that go there, it goes on and on. Nothing to do with liberal IMO because there is nowhere on earth more conservative than this place.
    World Domination 3 Points at a Time!




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland