Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Joe Flacco actually isn't the NFL's highest-paid player

I heard this today and it floored me. This sucks! 52%? Come on Maryland.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/gameon...taxes/1972931/
    Let Joe Cool lead the way 😎

Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

Quote Originally Posted by Mista T View Post
    If the Eastern Shore were to secede from the People's Republic of Maryland: count me in! I'd even swim across the Chesapeake Bay to get there.
    Sounds kinda farfetched, but I would not be surprised if Maryland disintengrated within the next decade or sooner, depending on how much more O'Malley disenfranchises a large portion of the geographical region of the state. There is already talk in Carroll County and others about seceding from Maryland to either be annexed by PA or form a new state.

Re: Flacco is "technically" the 2nd-highest paid NFL player when taking into account...

Interesting observation: When Ehrlich was governor, I don't recall hearing any "we should secede!" talk from Central Marylanders.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RavenScallywag View Post
    In that case, Tennessee could make a killing on free agents. They are one of the lowest taxed states.

So look out world, here come the Titans!

No? I think other factors are going to keep outweighing taxes.
    Florida is the other state for no income taxes. That's why Labron James went there instead of NY. He saved millions in income taxes and NY fans were pissed because Labron wanted to go there. I'll be moving to my condo in Daytona when my mom dies to escape high taxes here.

These states mentioned are favorite places for retirees to move to.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 4G63 View Post
    ...his taxes!

When adding in Maryland's state and local Baltimore County tax rates, he will earn less than Drew Brees who pays less in Louisiana taxes.

http://www.atr.org/tax-bite-leaves-f...ond-best-a7506

I've always been surprised someone like Jerry Jones doesn't tout Texas' low taxes when trying to woo potential free agents?!? Maybe the NFL doesn't allow that as some of the East Coast teams (especially the Giants, Jets, and New England) have some of the highest taxes rates' in the country.

But his gross pay, which is what IRS goes by is sitll higher, so he's still #1.

Blog Entries

Politics? Here? C'mon guys I know it's slow but........

iggyman555 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    He has to pay taxes to the state where the money is earned. He then gets a credit for that amount from the state that he is a resident of. Pro athletes actually have to file returns for every state they play a game in.
    do they file uk taxes for games played there?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    I'm not sure how that works. I never had to deal with that one. Usually though if you are an American citizen, work for an American company and are working abroad for a short period of time, like 1 game, then you would not owe tax to that other country. You would still owe federal tax. I would guess you could make an argument that since it is income sourced from a particular state that the state can't tax it. That's just a guess though because I really haven't had any experience with that situation. I'm sure someone like Tom Brady who makes a ton of money and plays in the UK a lot is doing whatever he can to keep the greedy hands of MA away from that income.

Quote Originally Posted by BMann View Post
    Interesting observation: When Ehrlich was governor, I don't recall hearing any "we should secede!" talk from Central Marylanders.
    1) Ehrlich didn't disenfranchise Central Maryland by gerrymandering the districts for obvious political gain.

2) Aside from Ehrlich the rest of Annapolis was decidedly Democrat, so it's not like Central Maryland didn't have a voice or people looking out for their interests.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by alienrace View Post
    1) Ehrlich didn't disenfranchise Central Maryland by gerrymandering the districts for obvious political gain.

2) Aside from Ehrlich the rest of Annapolis was decidedly Democrat, so it's not like Central Maryland didn't have a voice or people looking out for their interests.

Gerrymandering happens all over the country. The party in power manipulates geographic boundaries in an effort to remain in power. System sucks, but that's the way it is.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BMann View Post
    Me either. I also didn't see a mad rush on gun stores. Have you tried to buy ammo lately? It's crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Usually, the UK taxes 50% on appearances and prize money as well as a slice of all sponsorship money (which is why some sportsmen, like Usain Bolt, won't come here) dependent on things like training days (the law got amended in 2012 to make it more palatable, though - now it is days training/playing in UK / days training elsewhere - it's probably a negligable rate now of maybe 1% considering NFL players are usually here for less than a week?).

But, In difference to say tennis players and athletes, NFL players have contracts rather than appearance fees, thus a much lower tax liability.

I don't know if any of this is covered within the double taxation agreement, I'm suspecting that the amounts earned would breach any limits. Might be $20,000 or something - depending on exchange rates at the time for pounds.

Travelling 'entertainers' and 'sportsmen' are also eligible for a personal allowance similar to that enjoyed by UK citizens on taxable income, I think. Thus, depending on the tax rate of this income (I'm presuming it'll be the additional rate due to levels of income even if not accrued in this country, which is currently 50%, but set to fall to 45% from next month). It's possible that some of this falls within this bracket.

It's also possible that the international series is subject to tax exemption as well, like the Champions League Final, whenever held at Wembley, and the 2012 Olympics was.