Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Offensive Line

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Re: Offensive Line

bmore-
    I think I understand what you have posted in this thread, and not trying to be confrontational, but I think "The Ravens are still fumbling about trying to replace Jonathan Ogden..." may be a bit of a harsh judgement considering the quality of JO. IMHO, any team would be fumbling about trying to replace him. Obviously the FO is not without its issues, and many posters have offered very well-thought out criticisms. Also, you have made it clear that you're not bashing the FO. I just wanted to offer a small caveat. :)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I really hope that this is not what happens.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    :word

You just paid your QB, that would be silly to start Jah Reid and Michael Oher at both OT spots IMO, and very very risky.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    Welcome to the boards Mr captain obvious!
    Oh I dunno, I thought that Cap'n O's post was just chockful of useful information & profound insights...
    Quote Originally Posted by Ravenswintitle View Post
    ...find a way to keep McKinnie around on the cheap for one more year...
    And while they're at it, cure AIDS, end world hunder, & make peace in the Middle East--any of which is more likely to happen.... Face it, McKinnie has his ring, his buds are either gone (#52) or on their way (#20), & he wants/needs every dollar he can get. Some team will pay him more than the Ravens.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    I have a sneaky suspicion that we're all going to be disappointed yet again in how the FO handles the OL this offseason. I think they will allow the market to set McKinnie's price and they will have no qualms whatsoever letting him walk if his price is a penny higher than what they want to pay. That will leave us in essentially the same position we were for most of last season--which was once again a crisis of their own creation.
    Concur...damn it all.
    I expect the Ravens to go into 2013 with Oher at LT, backed up by the developmental LT of the future. They will add an interior OL who can play guard and center to back up and "compete" with Gradkowski, who will be the starting center in between KO and Yanda. At RT, they will likely give Jah Reid one last shot to get healthy and win a starter's spot (I think he fits better at RT than LG) but he will be pushed by Jack Cornell or a cheap FA in camp.
    Sounds about right. And the season's fate may hinge on whether the "developmental LT" manages to break into the lineup before Flacco ends up on IR...damn it all.

Quote Originally Posted by lobachevsky View Post
    And the season's fate may hinge on whether the "developmental LT" manages to break into the lineup before Flacco ends up on IR...damn it all.
    Oher has played tackle for us on one side or the other for virtually all of Joe's career and neither has yet to miss a game, much less finish the year on IR. I get that Oher isn't a top tackle, but the histrionics about him are getting ludicrous. He's a replacement level starter on the left side and an above average to very good right tackle. Treating him like he's a worthless turnstile is underselling his value.
    My motto was always to keep swinging. Whether I was in a slump or feeling badly or having trouble off the field, the only thing to do was keep swinging. -Hank Aaron

Quote Originally Posted by ActualSpamBot View Post
    Oher has played tackle for us on one side or the other for virtually all of Joe's career and neither has yet to miss a game, much less finish the year on IR. I get that Oher isn't a top tackle, but the histrionics about him are getting ludicrous. He's a replacement level starter on the left side and an above average to very good right tackle. Treating him like he's a worthless turnstile is underselling his value.
    I actually agree, though a BIT less optimstic...

I am scared to death that we will see Oher on teh left and Jah reid on the right to enter week 1...

But, at the same point I am fairly comfortable we will draft a guy who at least possibly projects to LT.

I'd be much happier with Oher left on the right side for once... IF Oher/Fo/Coaches can finally sttle on him bign RT starter/LT backup then I am fine nearing the top of the market for RT's as a second contract after thsi year. I am warming to the idea of taking ab athletic prospect like Terron Armstead.

Blog Entries

:word

You'd think Oher was Oniel Cousins.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

Blog Entries

Michael Oher was actually fairly good in pass pro this year, it was his run blocking that was atrocious.

Blog Entries
    Michael Oher was actually fairly good in pass pro this year, it was his run blocking that was atrocious.
    Which is a big reason why I would love to see them draft Michael Williams or Sims. Good blocking TE's with decent receiving skills.

Disclaimer: The content posted is of my own opinion.

What you talkin' 'bout Willis?
    He gave up 10 or 10.5 sacks an over 40 pressures. IIRC, only Arizona's pair of tackles and one other OT allowed more or graded out worse in passbl;ockign by PFF.

The problem with Oher is his inconsistency. Go back and look at Filmstudy's grades of Oher going all the way back to his rookie season. Even at RT, he mixes in plenty of D's and F's with his A's and B's. In 2011 he was downright bad all too often even at RT (he played at a horrifying, sub-Cousins level vs the Texans in the playoffs, among other games) but looked like an All-Pro for a few games as well. It was the same story at LT in 2010 and 2012.

The ONLY time Oher was really consistent was in his rookie year at RT before Gaither's injury forced his move to LT. He was miserable at LT in that stretch of 5 or so games and I don't think his confidence has ever really fully recovered. It's all mental with Michael, IMO. He struggles physically to mirror speed rushers, but technique can counteract that; he's just never really developed technically and mentally to compensate for his physical shortcomings with his mind, he plays too tentatively in pass protection, and he's easily overwhelmed by complex blocking assignments.

After 4 years in the league I think it's unrealistic to expect those things to change significantly, but Castillo may be able to improve him somewhat. Right now, I peg Oher as firmly in the bottom third of starters at LT and right around league average at RT. Sometimes great and sometimes bad equates to average in my book.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jonboy79 View Post
    What you talkin' 'bout Willis?
    He gave up 10 or 10.5 sacks an over 40 pressures. IIRC, only Arizona's pair of tackles and one other OT allowed more or graded out worse in passbl;ockign by PFF.
    PFF also gave Oher a +3.7 overall grading in pass pro which isn't bad at all. I think those numbers have something to do with the TERRIBLE scheming by Cam Cameron, even offensive linemen were negatively affected by his play calling IMO.

There were times Cam would not mass protect against 6 rushers.

Blog Entries

I think one of the problems, that posters have criticized the FO for, is not totally valid. IMO one of the reasons is that the Ravens have consistently won enough games to make the playoffs, and have a low 1st round draft choice. We won't be choosing between Joeckel, Fisher, or Johnson because they will be long gone before Ozzie has his first cup of coffee. Let's also not forget that he drafted KO (2nd) and GG (4th) in 2012, but it is one of the hardest things in the current NFL to find a solid LT.
    ... Bc