Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Interesting Perspective on Juan Castillo hiring

Not sure that I agree that we won't ever take an OL early (afterall, BPA) - and that may have been more about Andy Reid/Joe Banner's philosophy, than Castillo - but it does give hope that we'll see a bit better development of younger, cheaper, OLmen.

It is likely that over the next few years, the top ten QB’s and their salaries will account for 20% or more of their teams cap and cash. So, will we have teams that have a great QB surrounded by a bunch of average players? Yes, there will be some. Will the Ravens be able to afford their best players going forward? Probably not, there’s too many of them. However, they will rely on their coaches to develop players and their scouts to find cheap talent. There will be more pressure on teams who pay their QB the lion’s share of the cap to develop undrafted players. The conundrum here that exists for coaches is that the new CBA took away their ability to coach players up on the field in the off-season. Now pre-season and camp is the only time to really develop young players. Superior coaching staffs that actually “teach” will manufacture winning seasons with average talent.

The main reason why John Harbaugh outbid seven other teams to hire Juan Castillo as his run game coordinator (overseeing the O-line) is to develop cheap lineman into serviceable players. We all know Juan will develop late round picks and undrafted free agents. That’s been his identity! The Eagles only drafted two 1st round linemen the 13 years he was the head O-line coach. Bubba Miller, Hank Fraley, Artist Hicks, Nick Cole, and Austin Howard were all undrafted free agents who he developed into solid starters. During 12 of those 13 years, the Eagles never had a drafted center and averaged two college free agents as starters in each year. The year the Eagles went to the Super Bowl they played with two undrafted free agents on the line. When C Hank Fraley was up for a new contract they let him go to the Browns via free agency and just developed another guy. Expect Joe Banner to put the same formula in place if he gets a QB he covets and an O-line coach he trusts to develop young players.

So what does all this mean? This formula saved the team from having to pay and/or draft top lineman so they can put the money elsewhere. So I would suspect as long as the Ravens have Juan Castillo they will not be drafting any lineman in the top three rounds for the foreseeable future.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/...arterback.html
    “Talk's cheap - let’s go play.” - #19, Johnny Unitas

Follow me on Twitter @ravenssalarycap

Blog Entries

Re: Interesting Perspective on Juan Castillo hiring

I can see King Dunlap being on the radar right now, if they don't bring back McKinnie. Dunlap was good in pass pro this season, and I think Juan will encourage John to bring him over so he can further develop him into possibly a solid LT. He would come incredibly cheap too.

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    I can see King Dunlap being on the radar right now, if they don't bring back McKinnie. Dunlap was good in pass pro this season, and I think Juan will encourage John to bring him over so he can further develop him into possibly a solid LT. He would come incredibly cheap too.
    Trust me when I say we don't want King Dunlap. The guy has yet to put anything together, and they have both already been on the Eagle's together.

What could Juan do for Terron Armstead? Chris Faulk?

Possibly more importantly what will Castillo do for Jack Cornell, who the team supposedly thinks has a future? Jah Reid? Harewood? Gradkowski? Are we looking at the team only using late picks and UDFA's for the line and concentrating in the draft on the defense? Sounds like it.

Blog Entries

A lot of teams have done the same thing with o-line coaches over the years. Russ Grimm, Howard Mudd and Jim McNally were always paid more to develop lesser prospects. Of course you still need some talent as they found out in Arizona a Philly this year.

This also could be a reflection of the fact that once you pay a QB top-5 money, you are going to have to find bargains at other positions.

Quote Originally Posted by ursula View Post
    Possibly more importantly what will Castillo do for Jack Cornell, who the team supposedly thinks has a future? Jah Reid? Harewood? Gradkowski? Are we looking at the team only using late picks and UDFA's for the line and concentrating in the draft on the defense? Sounds like it.
    Even Bisciotti said during an interview before last season that Ozzie was very high on Cornell. Watch out for that guy during training camp.

Quietly Castillo was added to the staff but his hiring may end up being a key. The article outlines the value he had provided to the Eagles. I'm psyched about Caldwell and him working together at least for one year. Right now the only question marks on offense are LT and C. Gradkowski will hopefully fill the center spot and resigning McKinney or some other veteran will secure LT. Picking at 32 is not going to provide a day one starter at LT and Oher will never be a LT. It looks like we already have several players that can provide solid depth, especially with Castillo's coaching.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    This also could be a reflection of the fact that once you pay a QB top-5 money, you are going to have to find bargains at other positions.
    Flacco's cap number next year is $6m, nowhere near top 5 money.

Blog Entries

So what does that leave for Moeller to do? Not trying to be snarcastic, but what's left?

Quote Originally Posted by cealex1223 View Post
    Flacco's cap number next year is $6m, nowhere near top 5 money.
    You don't manage the cap from year-to-year...unless your team practices in Ashburn, VA.