Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 55

Thread: 1984...?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,339

    1984...?



    Was George Orwell on to something?

    http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Governm...-Carrying-Guns
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,817

    Re: 1984...?

    Scary stuff for sure.

    I'd say at least we still have due process, but after Holder declaring that drone strikes on US soil against US citizens is perfectly legal, I am not sure any more.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,339

    Re: 1984...?

    I am not some loon thinking the government is out to get anyone who disagrees with them, but damn with all the crap like this it's getting harder and harder not to be.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,817

    Re: 1984...?

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I am not some loon thinking the government is out to get anyone who disagrees with them, but damn with all the crap like this it's getting harder and harder not to be.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  5. #5
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,217
    Blog Entries
    3
    The only reason they even have uav's is because of the Mexican cartels.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,339

    Re: 1984...?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    The only reason they even have uav's is because of the Mexican cartels.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Clarification?
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  7. #7
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,217
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post

    Clarification?
    I'm not sure what you're asking.

    Customs and Border Patrol have been using uav technology for a few years now along the Mexican border looking for weapons, weapons caches, drugs, immigrants, etc.

    Drones being able to detect someone carrying a weapon is nothing knew. They can detect weapons caches buried in the ground among many things.

    I think what really needs to be thought about here is whether or not the US government would specifically target US citizens. I cant honestly answer that, but if you are a law abiding citizen then I would like to think it wouldnt matter.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,339

    Re: 1984...?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I'm not sure what you're asking.

    Customs and Border Patrol have been using uav technology for a few years now along the Mexican border looking for weapons, weapons caches, drugs, immigrants, etc.

    Drones being able to detect someone carrying a weapon is nothing knew. They can detect weapons caches buried in the ground among many things.

    I think what really needs to be thought about here is whether or not the US government would specifically target US citizens. I cant honestly answer that, but if you are a law abiding citizen then I would like to think it wouldnt matter.

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    I was just asking you to clarify why the government has them because of the cartels, which you did.

    And do I think the U.S. Government would target law abiding citizens? No, not really, I mean if they were to use a drone to kill a US citizen it would have to be done by another citizen who presses the button to fire whatever weapon it was armed with.

    But as HR mentioned Eric Holder saying it's legal to use a drone on a citizen on US soil, at some point down the road, it could become a slippery slope.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Houston, TX Y'all
    Posts
    22,817

    Re: 1984...?

    Quote Originally Posted by wickedsolo View Post
    I think what really needs to be thought about here is whether or not the US government would specifically target US citizens. I cant honestly answer that, but if you are a law abiding citizen then I would like to think it wouldnt matter.
    Holder has already said the practice is legal. Why would he even make the comment if they were not planning on using drones in this capacity down the road?

    Now combine that with the gun control panic and the new technology with drones having the ability to detect people who are carrying a gun (a practice that's perfectly legal in states not named Illinois), it's not very hard to connect the dots and see this is a recipe for innocent folks getting killed / hurt / persecuted when they've done nothing wrong.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,339

    Re: 1984...?

    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Holder has already said the practice is legal. Why would he even make the comment if they were not planning on using drones in this capacity down the road?

    Now combine that with the gun control panic and the new technology with drones having the ability to detect people who are carrying a gun (a practice that's perfectly legal in states not named Illinois), it's not very hard to connect the dots and see this is a recipe for innocent folks getting killed / hurt / persecuted when they've done nothing wrong.
    The main thing it says to me when you add it all up, AT THE VERY LEAST is:

    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  11. #11
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Frederick, MD
    Posts
    27,217
    Blog Entries
    3
    Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post

    Holder has already said the practice is legal. Why would he even make the comment if they were not planning on using drones in this capacity down the road?

    Now combine that with the gun control panic and the new technology with drones having the ability to detect people who are carrying a gun (a practice that's perfectly legal in states not named Illinois), it's not very hard to connect the dots and see this is a recipe for innocent folks getting killed / hurt / persecuted when they've done nothing wrong.
    A bit OT, but didnt you give me some flack last year when I posted some stuff about Obama's secret drone war?

    Sent from my DROID X2 using Forum Runner
    Milk is for babies. When you grow up, you have to drink beer.

    -Arnold Schwarzenegger


    My RSR Blog:
    http://russellstreetreport.com/author/paullukoskie/

    Check out Fatherhood Rules - a blog site dedicated to sports, food, music, movies, and politics.
    http://fatherhoodrules.com




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Stuttgart, Germany
    Posts
    7,393

    Re: 1984...?

    It's a slippery slope we're on. While I agree that better and new technology needs to be used to track down criminals, this is blurring the line of civil liberties.

    Like the comic says "Who watches the watchmen?"
    "I got this." - Justin Tucker




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland