Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Pierce: Healthier and Heavier

Quote Originally Posted by JoeCool5 View Post
    He must see the field. Must. Put he and Ray in the backfield at the same time on some plays. Barring injuries to key players, we have the potential to be absolutely sickening on offense next season -- and I mean that in a good way.
    Amen. One question: how is Pierce as a blocker? Assuming we lose Leach, and assuming he is willing and coachable, Pierce at 228 lbs could play a useful role even when he is NOT touching the ball.

Blog Entries

Not only did Ozzie take Pierce in the third round, when there were more notable 'needs', but he moved up to get him. His is one in a long line of examples, that somehow is forgotten by some fans every April.

In Oz We Trust.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore

Blog Entries

I would not be surprised one bit if Pierce supplants Rice as the starter at some point in 2013, just like Rice became the starter over Mcgahee in his 2nd season in 2009. Pierce is better between the tackles than Rice and has a lot less mileage. Not to take anything away from Rice, because I think he is an elite back, but a move like that could prolong his career and make our running game even more potent. They have already proven with Mcgahee that they don't mind paying their #2 RB starter money. Use Pierce as the workhorse and let Rice do most of his damage on 3rd down.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by leachisabeast View Post
    It would be amazing to have a top 10 rushing attack next season along with a top flight passing game. Our running game was so inconsistent under Cam since 2010, and it's not as if we don't have talent there. Now that we have arguably the best tandem in the league and one of the best run blocking Olines in the game with a competetent OC, there should be no reason why our running game wont gash most defenses next year who I suspect will be dropping people like crazy with Flacco's insane arm strength and deep ball threat.

I don't see a way to stop this offense if all plays well as it did in the SB run. I honestly think the national media aren't giving this offense enough credit, it was unstoppable in the play offs. Since the game against the Giants, no team has found out a way to stop this offense, and that's some pretty elite teams you're talking about with some really good defenses and coaches. If you stack the box to stop Pierce and Rice, you're just going to give up mass yardage through the air. If you drop back and defend against the deep ball, you're going to have to account for Pitta and Boldin over the middle, and the ground and pound game.

The best way forward is to go exclusively in the no huddle like the Pats did this season. When Flacco has all those options, it's going to take a lot to stop, and the defenses are going to be gassed, it will force them to stay in base defense and not bring on any rotation players to prevent fatigue. If they line up in the nickel, I don't see them stopping Rice or Pierce.
    Good post. I would just add one thing....Juan Castillo.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    I would not be surprised one bit if Pierce supplants Rice as the starter at some point in 2013, just like Rice became the starter over Mcgahee in his 2nd season in 2009. Pierce is better between the tackles than Rice and has a lot less mileage. Not to take anything away from Rice, because I think he is an elite back, but a move like that could prolong his career and make our running game even more potent. They have already proven with Mcgahee that they don't mind paying their #2 RB starter money. Use Pierce as the workhorse and let Rice do most of his damage on 3rd down.
    I agree, he is a better runner than Rice, vision and acceleration and footwork. He is very deceptive and will be a star in this league, hope he stays healthy.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ballhawk View Post
    Good post. I would just add one thing....Juan Castillo.
    Castillo has a good record with developing olinemen which excites me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

if caldwell plays his cards right we will have a prolific offense next year and be in the mix for the super bowl and caldwell will get a head coaching job.

we need a rushing attack to take the air out of the ball like jamal lewis used to do. our defense got hurt last year because they had to many reps in games.