Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Should the Ravens draft a WR with one of their pick?

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    Look, if this were a decision in a vacuum--is Boldin a good player or isn't he--it would be easy. But it's not.

This decision is between Boldin and Ellerbe, or Boldin and Kruger, or Boldin and Jake Long. The $6m Boldin was going to get paid in non-guaranteed money this year can be used to make this team better in some other area. Is Boldin SO indispensable that Ozzie should pass up locking down ILB, OT, etc? Especially given that he's 33 years old?

Ozzie has to concentrate on building this team long-term, not just 2013, and not just at any one position or one side of the ball. Of all the options on the table I'm sure the Ravens would have preferred to keep Boldin at a reduced rate, but Anquan didn't want to agree to that, which is his right. There IS a plan here, and let's wait until it all plays out before we declare defeat.
    I trust Ozzie. I've seen plenty of his plans shake out.

It will suck to lose Boldin but I can see the benefits of moving on too.

iggyman555 Guest

Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Clemson wide receiver DeAndre "Nuk" Hopkins is working out for Panthers receives coach Ricky Proehl today
    Expand

Quote Originally Posted by iggyman555 View Post
    Aaron Wilson ‏@RavensInsider

Clemson wide receiver DeAndre "Nuk" Hopkins is working out for Panthers receives coach Ricky Proehl today
    Expand
    I saw that. He is an interesting player who reminds me so much of Boldin. Panthers are looking at the 2nd rd if they are serious and in reality, I feel that he may be available at the end of the 1st rd due to speed concerns. Someone may ask for our #32 if we aren't considering him for ourselves.

Quote Originally Posted by Stealthbirds80 View Post
    I saw that. He is an interesting player who reminds me so much of Boldin. Panthers are looking at the 2nd rd if they are serious and in reality, I feel that he may be available at the end of the 1st rd due to speed concerns. Someone may ask for our #32 if we aren't considering him for ourselves.
    Just a thought based upon a sample-size of 1 (i.e., Torrey Smith). If we cut Boldin then we are going to draft a fine young man that we are absolutely stunned is still on the board at 32, 63 or somewhere between 32 and 63 (if we have traded down.)

Having watched quite a few interviews (besides tons of film), there's one guy that immediately comes to mind...
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by The Excellector View Post
    You don't think Tavon Austin is a first round talent?!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????!!!!!!!!!!!!
    no. Im not convinced he has the build to last in the NFL or to be successful on a consistent basis. I think hes intriguing but id feel much better about it late 2nd than late first. I dont really think hes the best WR in this draft, i have him 4th.

Honestly though im not high on this draft at all. I usually get pretty excited this time of year and dive head first into scouting. I really have little interest in this years draft. I see a lot of over hyped prospects and 2nd and 3rd round talent from years past being tagged as first rounders. thats really the only reason i see for him being talked about as a first rounder. in a normal draft with at least 1 if not 2 legitimate #1 WRs hes a late 2nd at best which is where id value him. Im sure somebody will draft him higher, but that doesnt mean id value him that high. If he was BPA at 32 and i have a 2nd round grade on him, i trade out, and i think so would Oz.
    -JAB

Quote Originally Posted by JAB1985 View Post
    no. Im not convinced he has the build to last in the NFL or to be successful on a consistent basis. I think hes intriguing but id feel much better about it late 2nd than late first. I dont really think hes the best WR in this draft, i have him 4th.

Honestly though im not high on this draft at all. I usually get pretty excited this time of year and dive head first into scouting. I really have little interest in this years draft. I see a lot of over hyped prospects and 2nd and 3rd round talent from years past being tagged as first rounders. thats really the only reason i see for him being talked about as a first rounder. in a normal draft with at least 1 if not 2 legitimate #1 WRs hes a late 2nd at best which is where id value him. Im sure somebody will draft him higher, but that doesnt mean id value him that high. If he was BPA at 32 and i have a 2nd round grade on him, i trade out, and i think so would Oz.
    I don't think most of us here are high on this draft, but because of that, it would make it really make to imagine him making it to the 2nd rd. He has functional speed and quickness that translates to the field of play. No way he makes it out of the 1st. Even if he is left around pick 20 or so, some team that already picked in the 1st will trade back in just for this kid. Remember, it only takes one desperate team and in this draft, there's a lot of those teams.

One more thing, there are a couple smallish players surviving just fine in the league right now.

One more thing, there are a couple smallish players surviving just fine in the league right now.
    Several of them have thrived, and there will be more and more, now that they can't be mercilessly and repeatedly crushed by flying anvils in the secondary.
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

I don't think most of us here are high on this draft, but because of that, it would make it really make to imagine him making it to the 2nd rd. He has functional speed and quickness that translates to the field of play. No way he makes it out of the 1st. Even if he is left around pick 20 or so, some team that already picked in the 1st will trade back in just for this kid. Remember, it only takes one desperate team and in this draft, there's a lot of those teams.

He likely will go higher, not saying he wont, im saying a good GM wouldnt though because the value isnt there. It would be better to trade for a future 1 than take a late 2, late 1.

there are small players surviving, but not many. name somebody under 5'10 besides Steve Smith and Wes Welker (who went in the 3rd and UDFA) thats worthy of a first round pick. if its a RB try somebody under 195lbs. hell even welker and smith are closer to 190 not 170. theres little and then theres too little. Theres one little fast guy drafted just about every year but only a handful find roles and even fewer become stars.
    -JAB

there are small players surviving, but not many. name somebody under 5'10 besides Steve Smith and Wes Welker (who went in the 3rd and UDFA) thats worthy of a first round pick. if its a RB try somebody under 195lbs. hell even welker and smith are closer to 190 not 170. theres little and then theres too little. Theres one little fast guy drafted just about every year but only a handful find roles and even fewer become stars.
    Heck, there are only 3 WRs of any height worth a 1st rounder these days.

But yeah, you have to expand your mind when looking at a guy like Austin.
    Does the "little" guy change your philosophy and scheme?
    Or do you change your philosophy and scheme for the "little guy"?
    I think most OCs get caught in the middle. They can't or won't adjust their thinking or creativity.

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BigPlayReceiver View Post
    Heck, there are only 3 WRs of any height worth a 1st rounder these days.

But yeah, you have to expand your mind when looking at a guy like Austin.
    Does the "little" guy change your philosophy and scheme?
    Or do you change your philosophy and scheme for the "little guy"?
    I think most OCs get caught in the middle. They can't or won't adjust their thinking or creativity.
    I think thats because do you change your entire system to feature a guy youre not sure will be able to stay healthy due to that size. so then youre trying to fit him into a system that doesnt necessarily match his strengths where other less explosive/talented players simply by size can be more diverse. its tough and comes down to opinion but i dont see him as 1st round quality and I have him behind 3 others at WR who I also dont feel are worthy. he very well may have the highest ceiling but i think his floor is a lower than those others.
    -JAB

I think thats because do you change your entire system to feature a guy youre not sure will be able to stay healthy due to that size. so then youre trying to fit him into a system that doesnt necessarily match his strengths where other less explosive/talented players simply by size can be more diverse. its tough and comes down to opinion but i dont see him as 1st round quality and I have him behind 3 others at WR who I also dont feel are worthy. he very well may have the highest ceiling but i think his floor is a lower than those others.
    I agree with all of your points above, but didn't want to quote up too much page space. Yeah you have to be creative with him and yes there are not many players his size if any that are stars, but in this draft, he stands out as a "well we might have to take him bc there isn't anyone else worthy of that spot" draft pick. He should be a role player and not a focus of an entire offense. No way he can take that beating every play, but as a Darren Sproles "get him in space" type player, he has a future in that.

He would do well in an offense that he is the 3rd to 4th option IMO. Also, what is his injury history in highschool and college? See someone like Ray Rice that may have a thicker build, but also knows how to not take a direct hit avoiding those injuries of his bigger colleagues.