Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

Next year is going to be interesting what we do with the cap and those guys with really high cap numbers.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.

Blog Entries

Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

You have a bunch of guys who will be near the ends of their contracts, Suggs, Ngata, and Yanda. They're going to have to make decisions about what they want to do with them.

Blog Entries

I hope we try to re-sign/extend Suggs and Ngata now.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I hope we try to re-sign/extend Suggs and Ngata now.
    They're not going to extend players now that have 2 and 3 years on their contracts left. Both guys are coming off injuries that have really hurt them. You don't commit more money to big men who have been injured and older unless you are sure that they can return to form.

And this is why the team didn't offer Boldin an extension that lowered his 2013 number at the expense of 2014 and beyond. They ALREADY have too much money committed to players over 30 in future years. All the posters who smugly point at the Steelers' cap woes and declare them dead in the water may very well be singing a different tune when we're in an even worse boat in 2014.

No matter what 2013 looks like, 2014 is going to be a VERY different year for the Ravens. Unless Ngata and Suggs each play at Pro Bowl levels in 2013 both are likely gone. Unless the cap goes up dramatically in two years Ozzie is going to have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing to keep this team competitive.

Again, for all the posters screaming and crying about "why isn't Ozzie going all in on a 2013 repeat," this is why. The Ravens will still be in business in 2014 and beyond and I think they'd kinda like to put a competitive product on the field year in and year out. It's time to get younger, faster, and cheaper everywhere on this team.

Blog Entries

We won't be able to cut Ngata next year. Way too much dead money. Suggs is a likely cut after this season though.

Ngata (31) and Suggs (32) will most likely be on the downside of their career. Suggs will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2014 season and Ngata will have one more year left. I can see Ozzie letting Suggs test the market if there is an interest in bringing him back but if Suggs is still effective he's going to have to take a pay cut.
    Hopefully we will find a few gems in the draft to replace Suggs and Ngata if necessary. Too much can happen between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    And this is why the team didn't offer Boldin an extension that lowered his 2013 number at the expense of 2014 and beyond. They ALREADY have too much money committed to players over 30 in future years. All the posters who smugly point at the Steelers' cap woes and declare them dead in the water may very well be singing a different tune when we're in an even worse boat in 2014.

No matter what 2013 looks like, 2014 is going to be a VERY different year for the Ravens. Unless Ngata and Suggs each play at Pro Bowl levels in 2013 both are likely gone. Unless the cap goes up dramatically in two years Ozzie is going to have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing to keep this team competitive.

Again, for all the posters screaming and crying about "why isn't Ozzie going all in on a 2013 repeat," this is why. The Ravens will still be in business in 2014 and beyond and I think they'd kinda like to put a competitive product on the field year in and year out. It's time to get younger, faster, and cheaper everywhere on this team.
    But the difference is that we're taking the situation like men and sucking it up this year to help soften the blow in future years. The Steelers are just living in denial and kicking the can down the road.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post

If this is the last year for Ngata and Suggs wouldn't you try and keep the best players possible in 2013 since it's gives you a much better chance at the Super Bowl? I'd take my chances if 2014 is going to be a rebuilding year anyway.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If this is the last year for Ngata and Suggs wouldn't you try and keep the best players possible in 2013 since it's gives you a much better chance at the Super Bowl? I'd take my chances if 2014 is going to be a rebuilding year anyway.
    But that's exactly what Ozzie said they WOULDN'T do.

Don't make short term decisions and try to win another one...position yourself to win multiple and keep the team in contention.

I guess that's the only way I can swallow losing all our FAs and Boldin...we do that now, we get young guys in place to replace them and continue our constant fluidity. However, be prepared, it could mean a short time of average performance.
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

I was looking at the 2014 cap too this weekend. Besides Suggs and Ngata, the multi-fold cap increases of Webb, Joe and Ray also kick in for 2014. Decisions will definitely have to be made. The challenge has been and will remain, how do you "replace" (talent-wise, not roster-wise) Suggs and Ngata when you consistently draft south of pick #24?
    "The Ravens are not taking Jimmy Smith at 26!" -- Me, the day before the 2011 Draft

"On their way to the podium, the Ravens FO is going to collectively step over my dead body and select...Breshad Perriman." -- Me, the day before the 2015 Draft

Missed it by That Much: The story of 'Get Smart' and the modern day Baltimore Ravens

@BigPlayReceiver

Blog Entries

So let's fast forward to the 2014 season.

In 2014, Suggs' cap hit is 12.4 million, and terminating his contract will incur 4.6 million in dead money with a total cap savings of 7.8 million by cutting Suggs before the 2014 season. Suggs is a very real potential cap casualty after this season.

In 2014, Ngata's cap hit is 16 million, and terminating his contract will incur 15 million in dead money with a total cap savings of 1 million by cutting Ngata before the 2014 season. I'd say Ngata is less likely to be cut unless his performance drops off significantly.