Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 12 of 35
  1. #1

    2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players



    Next year is going to be interesting what we do with the cap and those guys with really high cap numbers.
    Although Walsh's system of offense can compensate for lack of talent; however, defense is a different story. According to Walsh, talent on defense was essential and could not be compensated for. What did Walsh do in 1981? He acquired physical and talented players on defense.




  2. #2
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    You have a bunch of guys who will be near the ends of their contracts, Suggs, Ngata, and Yanda. They're going to have to make decisions about what they want to do with them.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  3. #3
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Clayton,NC
    Posts
    7,340

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    I hope we try to re-sign/extend Suggs and Ngata now.
    We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid. - Benjamin Franklin




  4. #4
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    Quote Originally Posted by NCRAVEN View Post
    I hope we try to re-sign/extend Suggs and Ngata now.
    They're not going to extend players now that have 2 and 3 years on their contracts left. Both guys are coming off injuries that have really hurt them. You don't commit more money to big men who have been injured and older unless you are sure that they can return to form.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  5. #5

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    And this is why the team didn't offer Boldin an extension that lowered his 2013 number at the expense of 2014 and beyond. They ALREADY have too much money committed to players over 30 in future years. All the posters who smugly point at the Steelers' cap woes and declare them dead in the water may very well be singing a different tune when we're in an even worse boat in 2014.

    No matter what 2013 looks like, 2014 is going to be a VERY different year for the Ravens. Unless Ngata and Suggs each play at Pro Bowl levels in 2013 both are likely gone. Unless the cap goes up dramatically in two years Ozzie is going to have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing to keep this team competitive.

    Again, for all the posters screaming and crying about "why isn't Ozzie going all in on a 2013 repeat," this is why. The Ravens will still be in business in 2014 and beyond and I think they'd kinda like to put a competitive product on the field year in and year out. It's time to get younger, faster, and cheaper everywhere on this team.




  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,920
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    We won't be able to cut Ngata next year. Way too much dead money. Suggs is a likely cut after this season though.




  7. #7

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    Ngata (31) and Suggs (32) will most likely be on the downside of their career. Suggs will be an unrestricted free agent after the 2014 season and Ngata will have one more year left. I can see Ozzie letting Suggs test the market if there is an interest in bringing him back but if Suggs is still effective he's going to have to take a pay cut.
    Hopefully we will find a few gems in the draft to replace Suggs and Ngata if necessary. Too much can happen between now and then.




  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Location
    Columbia, MD
    Posts
    448

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    And this is why the team didn't offer Boldin an extension that lowered his 2013 number at the expense of 2014 and beyond. They ALREADY have too much money committed to players over 30 in future years. All the posters who smugly point at the Steelers' cap woes and declare them dead in the water may very well be singing a different tune when we're in an even worse boat in 2014.

    No matter what 2013 looks like, 2014 is going to be a VERY different year for the Ravens. Unless Ngata and Suggs each play at Pro Bowl levels in 2013 both are likely gone. Unless the cap goes up dramatically in two years Ozzie is going to have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing to keep this team competitive.

    Again, for all the posters screaming and crying about "why isn't Ozzie going all in on a 2013 repeat," this is why. The Ravens will still be in business in 2014 and beyond and I think they'd kinda like to put a competitive product on the field year in and year out. It's time to get younger, faster, and cheaper everywhere on this team.
    But the difference is that we're taking the situation like men and sucking it up this year to help soften the blow in future years. The Steelers are just living in denial and kicking the can down the road.




  9. #9
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Wilton, CT
    Posts
    13,346
    Blog Entries
    7

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    Quote Originally Posted by bmorecareful View Post
    And this is why the team didn't offer Boldin an extension that lowered his 2013 number at the expense of 2014 and beyond. They ALREADY have too much money committed to players over 30 in future years. All the posters who smugly point at the Steelers' cap woes and declare them dead in the water may very well be singing a different tune when we're in an even worse boat in 2014.

    No matter what 2013 looks like, 2014 is going to be a VERY different year for the Ravens. Unless Ngata and Suggs each play at Pro Bowl levels in 2013 both are likely gone. Unless the cap goes up dramatically in two years Ozzie is going to have to do a lot of wheeling and dealing to keep this team competitive.

    Again, for all the posters screaming and crying about "why isn't Ozzie going all in on a 2013 repeat," this is why. The Ravens will still be in business in 2014 and beyond and I think they'd kinda like to put a competitive product on the field year in and year out. It's time to get younger, faster, and cheaper everywhere on this team.
    If this is the last year for Ngata and Suggs wouldn't you try and keep the best players possible in 2013 since it's gives you a much better chance at the Super Bowl? I'd take my chances if 2014 is going to be a rebuilding year anyway.
    He Who Dares.....Wins




  10. #10
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Westminster - Raventown, MD!
    Posts
    13,064
    Blog Entries
    1

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    If this is the last year for Ngata and Suggs wouldn't you try and keep the best players possible in 2013 since it's gives you a much better chance at the Super Bowl? I'd take my chances if 2014 is going to be a rebuilding year anyway.
    But that's exactly what Ozzie said they WOULDN'T do.

    Don't make short term decisions and try to win another one...position yourself to win multiple and keep the team in contention.

    I guess that's the only way I can swallow losing all our FAs and Boldin...we do that now, we get young guys in place to replace them and continue our constant fluidity. However, be prepared, it could mean a short time of average performance.
    .
    .
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.


    Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!




  11. #11

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    I was looking at the 2014 cap too this weekend. Besides Suggs and Ngata, the multi-fold cap increases of Webb, Joe and Ray also kick in for 2014. Decisions will definitely have to be made. The challenge has been and will remain, how do you "replace" (talent-wise, not roster-wise) Suggs and Ngata when you consistently draft south of pick #24?
    Back to the AFCCG we go. So get ready!

    Team MVP to-date: Rick Wagner and C.J. Mosley (tie)

    Having fun talking football on Twitter @BigPlayReceiver




  12. #12
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Pasadena
    Posts
    8,920
    Blog Entries
    4

    Re: 2014 Cap...$70.9 committed to 6 players

    So let's fast forward to the 2014 season.

    In 2014, Suggs' cap hit is 12.4 million, and terminating his contract will incur 4.6 million in dead money with a total cap savings of 7.8 million by cutting Suggs before the 2014 season. Suggs is a very real potential cap casualty after this season.

    In 2014, Ngata's cap hit is 16 million, and terminating his contract will incur 15 million in dead money with a total cap savings of 1 million by cutting Ngata before the 2014 season. I'd say Ngata is less likely to be cut unless his performance drops off significantly.




Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Russell Street Report Website Design by D3Corp Ocean City Maryland