Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Re: Reed: I'm a Raven, waiting for a call

I don't think Moriarty will over pay. They already said how they feel about signings based on sentimentality. Their going to do what's best moving forward. If they keep him, an no phone calls could be an indication, they will pay him according to scale. IMO I also feel that's what's best for the team.

Quote Originally Posted by ed from Bel Air View Post
    I thought Ed's play last year, particularly in the playoffs, was underrated. Rather than being his usual gambling self, he stayed home, taking away the deep middle and preventing guys like Brady and Peyton from taking shots deep in the middle. Ed made a great blitz on the goal line stand, rushing Kapernek(sp?) forcing to him to throw quickly and inaccurately.

I thought Ed had a better year this year than last. He still does not consistently tackle well, but he does pick his spots, I think he made a couple of key tackles near the goal line in the Super Bowl, as well.
    +1. We don't shut down (or slow down, at the very least) Denver or New England's passing games without #20 back there. The double moves Denver tore us apart with in the regular season disappeared in the playoff game and you're a fool if you don't think that's 100% Ed's doing. It was clear that neither Manning nor Brady wanted anything to do with the deep part of the field. I believe that coverage safeties are undervalued in the new NFL. This is especially true in our defense: QBs that avoid Ed are forced to throw into tighter underneath windows covered by our 3 very good corners. We want to force the ball in Webb and Graham's (and maybe even Simth's) zones so they can make plays, and #20 occupying another zone does just that.

I honestly think Ed is a changed man this time around. He said a lot of very humble things about playing in Baltimore during and after the Super Bowl run. I also think he is excited about the prospect of playing the alpha leader in the absence of Ray Lewis' shadow. I[ll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I just see him genuinely wanting to be here and I believe he has a couple solid years of above average football in the tank.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post
    +1. We don't shut down (or slow down, at the very least) Denver or New England's passing games without #20 back there. The double moves Denver tore us apart with in the regular season disappeared in the playoff game and you're a fool if you don't think that's 100% Ed's doing. It was clear that neither Manning nor Brady wanted anything to do with the deep part of the field. I believe that coverage safeties are undervalued in the new NFL. This is especially true in our defense: QBs that avoid Ed are forced to throw into tighter underneath windows covered by our 3 very good corners. We want to force the ball in Webb and Graham's (and maybe even Simth's) zones so they can make plays, and #20 occupying another zone does just that.

I honestly think Ed is a changed man this time around. He said a lot of very humble things about playing in Baltimore during and after the Super Bowl run. I also think he is excited about the prospect of playing the alpha leader in the absence of Ray Lewis' shadow. I[ll be the first to admit I was wrong, but I just see him genuinely wanting to be here and I believe he has a couple solid years of above average football in the tank.
    That's funny...I could have sworn I saw #20 - a gambling #20 at that - on the field when Peyton Manning was torching the Ravens in the 2nd half on December 16th.

Would I love to have a healthy Reed for the next 2 years? Absolutely. But there is no way the Ravens can have any confidence that he can stay healthy at his age with his injury history.

Plus. Any new contract has to be cap friendly for the Ravens this year...which means you have potential dead money in the out years.

Sorry...love #20, and really wish he would have retired a Raven after getting his ring...but, unless he truly does give the home team a discount, there is no way he's back here next season.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBKistler View Post
    That's funny...I could have sworn I saw #20 - a gambling #20 at that - on the field when Peyton Manning was torching the Ravens in the 2nd half on December 16th.

Would I love to have a healthy Reed for the next 2 years? Absolutely. But there is no way the Ravens can have any confidence that he can stay healthy at his age with his injury history.

Plus. Any new contract has to be cap friendly for the Ravens this year...which means you have potential dead money in the out years.

Sorry...love #20, and really wish he would have retired a Raven after getting his ring...but, unless he truly does give the home team a discount, there is no way he's back here next season.
    I don't dispute that, he got torched 100% in the regular season game. But he changed his strategy for the playoff run and it paid off in a big way.

I am in the minority but I think a home town discount is a possibility for him. He's older and wiser now than the last time his contract was up.
    Long days and pleasant nights.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland of Gilead View Post

Good analysis. What's coming out of Reed's mouth now sharply contrasts past years. Is there another player who seemed to enjoy this win more? From "two tickets to paradise", to walking the parade route allowing fans to touch the trophy, Oscar awards, etc. As a fan I want him back and to retire as a Raven. For such a young franchise, we've been very fortunate to have Ogden, Lewis and Reed; 3 certain HOFers with 2 of them(in my mind all 3) in the discussion as GOAT.

Sorry folks, but Ed will be wearing the horseshoes. It just makes too much sense.

Indy has $46 million in cap money to spend. And with the new salary floor, they HAVE to spend some money. Ed is probably looking for 2 years, maybe 3. Indy could do that for him, with a huge cap number each year, and no dead money to deal with when Ed comes off the books in a couple years. At that point they have to think about pricey extensions for Luck and their other younguns, but until then, the salary cap is a meaningless concept for them.

I think Pags would love to have Ed to mentor his young team, help them understand his defense, learn to watch film, etc. Plus he still brings significant skills to the party. They can not only afford to overpay Ed, it actually may help them to do so.
    "Chin up, chest out."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HotInHere View Post
    Sorry folks, but Ed will be wearing the horseshoes. It just makes too much sense.

Indy has $46 million in cap money to spend. And with the new salary floor, they HAVE to spend some money. Ed is probably looking for 2 years, maybe 3. Indy could do that for him, with a huge cap number each year, and no dead money to deal with when Ed comes off the books in a couple years. At that point they have to think about pricey extensions for Luck and their other younguns, but until then, the salary cap is a meaningless concept for them.

I think Pags would love to have Ed to mentor his young team, help them understand his defense, learn to watch film, etc. Plus he still brings significant skills to the party. They can not only afford to overpay Ed, it actually may help them to do so.
    Yeah I agree with this. It would be nothing for Indy to give Reed a front loaded deal. Plus, they have a young team that could use some veteran leadership which Reed would provide.

I personally have heard from one Ravens' coach that doesn't believe Reed will be back. Again nobody really knows what will happen though. It's just going to have to play out.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    This is the same tale of woe we hear from Reed every time his contract comes up.
    I watched that entire segment and I didn't hear any tale of woe from Ed Reed. What I did hear:

1. He feels healthier now than he has over the past few years and is working closely with a doctor to keep himself that way.

2. He believes he brings a lot to the table, both on and off the field and has 2-3 good years left.

3. He thinks quarterbacks get paid too much in comparison to other positions, but "it is what it is" and he is glad Joe got his big contract, as he deserves it.

4. He was gracious towards the Ravens' organization and wants to be remain a Raven. (In fact, the title of the video "I'd win two Super Bowls with NE", isn't even what he said. He was asked if New England would win a Super Bowl with him on the roster and he said, "they'd win two." That could very well have referred to the last two years and not the future.)

5. He is more interested in building his foundation and working with kids than he is in getting endorsement deals. It doesn't sound to me as if money is the biggest thing for him.

I read an article today on National Football Post about something that I wrote about in response to one of Tony's blogs. With the signing of Joe Flacco, and the elite QBs of today taking up 15% or more of the cap, coaches and GMs are going to have to rely heavily on their scouts and coaching staff to find good serviceable cheap players for the positions that use to be taken up by other expensive players. The author, Jack Betcha stated that positions such as the offensive line, linebacker and safety are the positions that are going to suffer financially now that a new threshold of $20M + quarterbacks are on the horizon and the salary cap is not increasing enough to support it.

Which leads me to my next comment. I don't believe Ed Reed will be playing for the Ravens anymore unless he accepts a contract for about 1/3 of what he was making last year. You are talking about a 35 year old player who can barely make a tackle, has had serious health issues, with his neck and hip surgeries and is one play away from retirement. When the Ravens allowed Ray Lewis to test the market, he was a younger, much healthier man who still was playing at a fairly high level. Plus, he was the face of the franchise. Ed Reed is not the face of the franchise. Joe Flacco is and will be the face going forward, like most upper echelon QBs are. The Ravens will be changing their business model gradually going forward and you will see less top 5 salaried players on the team. Our team will be gravitating toward the New England Patriots model which is a few top paid players and everyone else is moderately paid. Paying Ed Reed top dollar is not in the Raven's plans, regardless of his past achievements and legacy. Frankly, I welcome the change and I would like to see the defense get a lot younger and faster so that offenses can't march up and down on us like they did last year.
    Last edited by ravenwoman; 03-06-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Blog Entries

ATL just re-signed William Moore for 5/$30M.

So we've seen two S's sign so far:

George Wilson (veteran) for $2M/year.
    William Moore (in his prime) for $6M/year.

Reed falls somewhere in between.