Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Re: Reed: I'm a Raven, waiting for a call

I thought Ed's play last year, particularly in the playoffs, was underrated. Rather than being his usual gambling self, he stayed home, taking away the deep middle and preventing guys like Brady and Peyton from taking shots deep in the middle. Ed made a great blitz on the goal line stand, rushing Kapernek(sp?) forcing to him to throw quickly and inaccurately.

I thought Ed had a better year this year than last. He still does not consistently tackle well, but he does pick his spots, I think he made a couple of key tackles near the goal line in the Super Bowl, as well.

I find it interesting that Ozzie has not yet spoken to Reed. As a life-long Raven and future HOF'er, he deserves at least a quick call from Ozzie, saying "Ed we will get to you after we finish up with Joe".

Ozzie said 1) I will handle negotiations with Ed personnally,
    2) He will not be sentimental. Not sure any other free agent, or vet with a high cap number, would be considered a more "sentimental " cut than Ed.
    3) whether Ed has an agent or not, he will talk to Ed.

Apparently the Ravens talked to a lot of safeties at the combine. This does not strike me as a negotiating ploy, I think it is an honest effort to fill a position of need.

I think the longer Ed doesn't hear from Ozzie, the less likely he returns. I think Ozzie will only bring Ed back after he addresses other concerns and still has cap space left.

RIGHT PLAYER, RIGHT PRICE.

Blog Entries

he's a little bit of an oddball and it's crazy to not have an agent by now, but what a playmaker he has been...

World Domination 3 Points at a Time!

Here's my thought on this: The Ravens have an idea of what Reed's value is at this point in his career. This very likely does not square with what Ed thinks his value is. So what's the point in being the bearer of bad tidings? Let Ed (or his agent, if he ever gets one) find out from other teams that he's not getting, say, a 2-year, $16M contract.

Unless you fear that Ed may sign with another team without giving the Ravens a chance to make a better offer (possible, but not likely), you don't really need to rush to make an offer, to find you were only bidding against yourself.

Blog Entries

I been saying all along that reed will be back on a fair contract. He is still better than most safeties in the game and paired with Pollard forms the best safety tandem in the game. Plus the leadership he brings...you could make an argument that his role in the near mutiny after Houston solidified the team and put them in position to go get that Lombardi.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MarkS View Post
    Here's my thought on this: The Ravens have an idea of what Reed's value is at this point in his career. This very likely does not square with what Ed thinks his value is. So what's the point in being the bearer of bad tidings? Let Ed (or his agent, if he ever gets one) find out from other teams that he's not getting, say, a 2-year, $16M contract.

Unless you fear that Ed may sign with another team without giving the Ravens a chance to make a better offer (possible, but not likely), you don't really need to rush to make an offer, to find you were only bidding against yourself.
    George Wilson just got a 2yr/$4M deal (incentives up to $5M) from TENN.

Now...George Wilson is no Ed Reed, but he is decent. And a few years younger than Ed.

I don't see anyone paying Ed more than $4M/year, which would be double what George Wilson just got. Quite certain Ed won't be making the $7M he got this year. Ed probably doesn't want to hear this.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    George Wilson just got a 2yr/$4M deal (incentives up to $5M) from TENN.

Now...George Wilson is no Ed Reed, but he is decent. And a few years younger than Ed.

I don't see anyone paying Ed more than $4M/year, which would be double what George Wilson just got. Quite certain Ed won't be making the $7M he got this year. Ed probably doesn't want to hear this.
    I'd pay reed 2-3 mil year. If he doesn't take that then it was nice having you on our team.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    I'd pay reed 2-3 mil year. If he doesn't take that then it was nice having you on our team.
    Honestly, if I were Ed Reed, I'd be like WTF.

You are a HoF safety and the best you can get is $3M/year?

Now I know he already got his payday, and is at the tail end of his career...but in light of current NFL salaries...if I were Reed I'd be a little pissed off too.

But hey - that is the game he signed up for.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Honestly, if I were Ed Reed, I'd be like WTF.

You are a HoF safety and the best you can get is $3M/year?

Now I know he already got his payday, and is at the tail end of his career...but in light of current NFL salaries...if I were Reed I'd be a little pissed off too.

But hey - that is the game he signed up for.
    The bottom line is safeties don't get paid much in the NFL. Look at the costs of the franchise tag.

Quarterback $14,896,000
    Offensive Linemen (includes Offensive Tackle, Offensive Guard, Center) $9,828,000
    Wide Receiver $10,537,000
    Running Back (includes all Fullbacks and Halfbacks) $8,219,000
    Tight End $6,066,000
    Defensive End $11,175,000
    Defensive Tackle $8,450,000
    Linebacker $9,619,000
    Cornerback $10,854,000
    Safety $6,916,000
    Kicker or Punter $2,977,000

No agent to me means that he knows Oz and Steve will give him a fair deal.......story on Ravens site kind of supports that.
    Way Down South in New Orleans

All these sports shows like to create controversy by say Belicheck wants him but the Pats won't over pay for a safety who can bearely tackle. I love Ed and hope he stays but he is one bad hit away from the DL every time he steps on the field. They won't over pay for Ed Reed.

Blog Entries

A player gets paid not only for what he's done, but for future productivity. That's why I think Flacco's contract was fair. (a) 5 playoffs in 5 years, plus a Super Bowl MVP (b) he is 28 years old (c) the next 5 years could be his best, and I'm glad they will be played with a Ravens uniform on.
    Ed Reed is another story. He has been great, and has had a HOF career. Thing is he will turn 35 in September, slowed down the past few years, and may want more $$$ than the (cap strapped) Ravens are willing to part with. The Ravens let Heap, Mason, and Gregg go, and Ray retired. IMO Reed will only be a Raven if he wants to drastically cut salary or he can go play in New England... Bc

I think thanks to Flacco's cap friendly deal for this coming year, Reed gets a pretty decent one year contract and time to groom his successor and lead the defense one more year.