Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Reed: I'm a Raven, waiting for a call

http://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/...9-ff9e96cd63ee

I find it kind of odd they haven't had ANY Talks. I know the Flacco deal was priority, but you'd still think they'd have some sort of contact.

Not a huge concern, I'm not trying to blow it out of proportion, just opening it up for discussion and thoughts
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Blog Entries

Re: Reed: I'm a Raven, waiting for a call

Keep in mind he does not have an agent at the moment, so that makes things more difficult.

Blog Entries

Ozzie is a former player. I think this is part of the reason why when we (re)sign our own guys, they are always the top paid. It is a blessing and a curse. More so for Stevie B. I guess that is part of the danger when your GM was a player - they might be a little sweeter on players when payday comes.

I've read Ozzie values one-team players. Reed is a HoF Baltimore Raven, new SB champ. I can't see Ozzie letting Reed walk, even if it means we overpay. Not sure how he is going to make it work, but I think he will.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    Ozzie is a former player. I think this is part of the reason why when we (re)sign our own guys, they are always the top paid. It is a blessing and a curse. More so for Stevie B. I guess that is part of the danger when your GM was a player - they might be a little sweeter on players when payday comes.

I've read Ozzie values one-team players. Reed is a HoF Baltimore Raven, new SB champ. I can't see Ozzie letting Reed walk, even if it means we overpay. Not sure how he is going to make it work, but I think he will.
    I don't see how Reed is that valuable. Even the best safeties in the league aren't paid that much. The franchise tag for safeties is the lowest outside of special teams guys. He isn't going to get any kind of huge offer. Reed will be 35 next season, and he's dealing with some nagging injuries. The market just won't be there even if he's a future first ballet HoF'er. Father time always wins.

If Oz let Ray greatest of all times Lewis test the waters and flirt with free agency just to avoid bidding against themselves, they are going to continue that policy. Free agents want to play here so the ravens do not usually have to over pay. They do spend as much as they can, but usually end up with a deep and balanced roster.

:T2:

Blog Entries

I dont think Ozzie really handles the contracts and money though. I think Pat Moriarty handles contracts and the cap. Ozzies main job is talent. whether thats the draft or FA, where he has final say. I dont think his favoritism towards players does anything but make playes want to play here.
    -JAB

Two things ...

This is the same tale of woe we hear from Reed every time his contract comes up.

The fact that this story is coming from the Ravens themselves, on their own web site, tells me all I need to know -- that they want him back and are using their media presence to sway him. Again.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremiah W View Post
    If Oz let Ray greatest of all times Lewis test the waters and flirt with free agency just to avoid bidding against themselves, they are going to continue that policy. Free agents want to play here so the ravens do not usually have to over pay. They do spend as much as they can, but usually end up with a deep and balanced roster.
    I never said they wouldn't let him test the market. I'm sure they will. But similar to Ray, I think Reed won't see an abundant market, and if he does get an offer, I can see Ozzie matching it to keep Reed a Raven for life.

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Two things ...

This is the same tale of woe we hear from Reed every time his contract comes up.

The fact that this story is coming from the Ravens themselves, on their own web site, tells me all I need to know -- that they want him back and are using their media presence to sway him. Again.
    Two very good points Houston
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Paintballguy View Post
    Keep in mind he does not have an agent at the moment, so that makes things more difficult.
    Great point. Last week there was news that Reed was still interviewing agents. The Ravens aren't going to talk to Reed and then start all over again when he hires one.

It's going to be a frustrating couple of months listening to the drama queen Reed go on and on. Love him on the field, hate him off
    - Ray Lewis

Blog Entries

Reed was a humble quiet player for most of his career, who became more vocal, publicly, as he aged and as it became clear that Father Time was on his way. That is understandable for a veteran player. So, I try not to get frustrated with Reed. However, I just wish that he would see the end for himself, rather than having the decision made for him.

On one hand, I could see Ozzie paying him a little more than he is worth, in light of his legacy and losing so many defenders at one time. However, I can also see Ozzie staying quiet and trying get Reed to see the picture for himself.
    "Please take with you this final sword, The Excellector. I am praying that your journey will be guided by the light", Leon Shore