Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

If the NFL were uncapped...?

Just a hypothetical to throw out there. Sorry if this topic has been brought up before. But, if the NFL were like the MLB, and owners were able to spend money however they pleased, within a certain set of guidelines, and with luxary taxes of course, would we make out better or worse than with the strict salary cap or salary floor?

I'd like to say that we would do better, we have an aggressive owner who is willing to spend whatever it takes, we've always spent up to our cap, and we're in a division with cheapskates (the Steelers spend up to the cap, but the owners are known for not wanting to overspend if given the chance). Obviously, the Redskins and Cowboys would be like the Red Sox and Yankees, but they're in a difference conference entirely.

I know that this would not be good for the integrity of the game. But it's the off-season, I need to pass the time somehow. Thoughts?

Re: If the NFL were uncapped...?

It'd be a shitshow and I'd hate it as much as I hate the MLB
    "Cause if you ain’t pissed off for greatness, that just means you’re okay with being mediocre, and ain’t no man in here okay with just basic.”
    - Ray Lewis

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/author/cole-jackson

Twitter: @ColeJacksonFB

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    This.

We also don't have the fan base (yet) which would be needed to spend money like a Steinbrenner.

Yes, Bisciotti is wealthy but he's far from the wealthiest owner and none of the owners in uncapped leagues use personal wealth to pay for players.

Only a few teams would be really great and the others would be perrenial doormats.
    The teams with the most money buy all the great players.
    That would suck.
    If the CAP ever goes, so will I.
    Try buying season tickets to that crap.

Blog Entries

The owners realize this is what makes their game great and why the NBA and NHL have caps too.

Baseball? It's a joke.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by runrayrun27 View Post
    :word

I completely gave up on baseball years ago. I was an Astros fan for decades. Once my last attachment to the team retired I lost interest. Looking how disastrous that team has been since then I haven't missed anything.

The NFL will always get my sports dollars above anything else.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GOTA View Post
    :word

I completely gave up on baseball years ago. I was an Astros fan for decades. Once my last attachment to the team retired I lost interest. Looking how disastrous that team has been since then I haven't missed anything.

The NFL will always get my sports dollars above anything else.
    When I was a kid, baseball was my great passion. Didn't hardly give football a thought. Now it's just the opposite. My sports $$$ go to Ravens related stuff. BTW, your Astros will be playing in the AL starting this year, if anyone really cares... Bc

Blog Entries

I've always treated the NFL as having a hard cap.

But the more you see these restructures and prorated bonuses, it is really a soft cap.

This is the current "cash over cap" issue.

The teams are spending cash over the cap. So while the cap is sort of limiting things, it still gets exceeded. Flacco just got his $29M payment cash. Yet on cap it is $6.8M. Teams want cash over cap.

Owners want cash=cap.

Perhaps in the next CBA.

I would like to see different treatment for "drafted" players under the cap then free agents. The problem that I see is that teams that draft well are punished during free agency. This year is a good example. If Kruger had a discounted value against the cap if he stayed with the Ravens then he would be more affordable. As it stands most likely next season he will play elsewhere. It seems wrong that teams that spot talent better than other teams should not get some sort of advantage for running a better organization. I don't know if this would have any adverse consequences but it seems like a workable way to make teams a bit more stable over time in terms of personnel which will lead to a better community-team interaction as well as more of like the "Orioles Way" experience some of us grew up with when the team was a first class organization in baseball.

Jerry Jones would be a happy guy trying to buy a SB winning team.

Quote Originally Posted by bt12483 View Post
    I've always treated the NFL as having a hard cap.

But the more you see these restructures and prorated bonuses, it is really a soft cap.

This is the current "cash over cap" issue.

The teams are spending cash over the cap. So while the cap is sort of limiting things, it still gets exceeded. Flacco just got his $29M payment cash. Yet on cap it is $6.8M. Teams want cash over cap.

Owners want cash=cap.

Perhaps in the next CBA.
    Teams are not spending over the cap.

Where are you getting that?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonRaven View Post
    Teams are not spending over the cap.

Where are you getting that?
    That isn't what I said. "cash over cap" is kind of a term of art.

Look it up.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ending-sprees/

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/column...len&id=2352890

"In the simplest terms, cash over cap is essentially the difference between a team's true payroll and the NFL salary cap in a given season. Many of the league's high-revenue teams, but certainly not all of them, have a considerable advantage over the clubs occupying the low-revenue rungs in terms of cash over cap."