1. Billy Cundiff has some competition

Blog Entries

Re: Billy Cundiff has some competition

That's disrespectful....to Billy Cundiff.

I posted a thread in Non-Ravens Football. I can't tell if this was just some girl who had friends who goaded her into spending some money and trying out, or a publicity stunt, or what? There's other video of her kicking in some sort of fan experience type setup, and she's kicking Field Goals there (maybe not 25-40 yarders, but at least 10-15)
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

The Greater Metropolitan Granite Falls, NC Area

Scally-
    From what I've read, it was a "legitimate" tryout, at least from what the league is purporting. My understanding is that the lady played club soccer (I guess in college, although that doesn't imply physical talent to kick field goals), and reports suggested that she can kick pretty well. Apparently she injured her quadriceps earlier in the week, yet didn't want to pass up the opportunity regardless. Maybe a PR ploy by the NFL, but I'll give her credit for at least trying.

Check out this link. From it--

""While she [Lauren Silberman] never kicked a football in a competitive game, the NFL said Silberman qualified for the regional combine because of her athletic background.

"Our job is to evaluate talent and not leave any stone unturned," said Stephen Austin, the NFL's director of regional combines. "We want young, athletic people who have played a sport, typically in college or military or small schools."

The regional combines debuted in 2011, and include players who weren't among the 333 invited to the main combine in Indianapolis. The NFL is holding these sessions in 10 cities this offseason, with the most impressive players advancing to a super-regional in April in Dallas.

Silberman paid a registration fee - about $275 - and just needed to show up Sunday and take her best shot at impressing scouts."

Come on, you can't compare kicking an unrushed field goal in a competition to an NFL competition. Sure, with no pass rush, with an ideal snap and hold, after a timeout kickers could probably make 30 yarders 100% of time, but when you deal with other elements it becomes more tricky. Chipshots are usually missed due to external factors. In Cundiff's case it had to do with him being rushed on the field. Still unacceptable, a better kicker still would have made it, but it's a lot more complex than just saying that he's worse than a girl off the streets.

Blog Entries

btw, PFT and Greg Aiello got into a twitter battle and basically, the rules have changed so now, ANYONE (who is eligible for NFL, ie three years removed from HS) can pay 275 to attend a regional combine and tryout.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...t-for-the-nfl/
    “When I think of a Baltimore Raven - we go in there, we take your lunch box, we take your sandwich, we take your juice box, we take your applesauce, and we take your spork and we break it. And we leave you with an empty lunch. That’s the Baltimore Raven way.” - Steve Smith Sr.

Call me a Special Teams coach again. I dare you! I double dare you, MFer!

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    Come on, you can't compare kicking an unrushed field goal in a competition to an NFL competition. Sure, with no pass rush, with an ideal snap and hold, after a timeout kickers could probably make 30 yarders 100% of time, but when you deal with other elements it becomes more tricky. Chipshots are usually missed due to external factors. In Cundiff's case it had to do with him being rushed on the field. Still unacceptable, a better kicker still would have made it, but it's a lot more complex than just saying that he's worse than a girl off the streets.
    Yes, I agree. This kind of stuff is just ridiculous to me.
    Anyone serious about kicking in the NFL, better be able to kick off a tee at least 70 yards.
    Field goals are a different animal and that means kicking off the ground, not a tee.
    If you can't just knock one through, off the ground from 40, with no rush and no snap and no line, the person should not even be allowed on the damn field.

In Cundiff's case, having a head coach as a former special team's coach, timeout should have been called.
    Never rush your placekicker on the field when you don't have to, especially with the Super Bowl on the line.
    Should he have made it, yes, but still, don't put him at a disadvantage.

7. Re: Billy Cundiff has some competition

Quote Originally Posted by Coastergenius View Post
    I've made this joke in a few places now and everyone seems to be getting at me. I was only kidding haha. I've always liked Billy and thought he was getting too much crap from last year. His kick was only to extend the game...Lee Evans was to win it. Plus if we wanna talk about kicking injured...Billy was hurt early in the 2011 season.

I'm sorry if it was a little in bad taste...was just joking around.

I could outkick this girl left footed with a pulled quad. in a three piece suit with leather soled dress shoes on a hockey rink... maybe I should try out for the NFl overweight and the wrong side of 30....

Sad that they let this PR stunt happen
    what a joke

Blog Entries

They asked Ms. Silberman if she had any regrets, she replied, "Can't kick." ... Bc

Quote Originally Posted by BcRaven View Post
    They asked Ms. Silberman if she had any regrets, she replied, "Can't kick." ... Bc

LOL.